• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Is anyone else bothered by the ridiculous entry fees

Also, why aren't you guys selling full inventories? It takes the same amount of time to load into the island and sell a full inventory as it does to sell 100 turnips. The host shouldn't get paid less just because you didn't play optimally.

Go sell 3 NMTs for like 450k and buy a full inventory.

Also, why aren't you guys selling full inventories? It takes the same amount of time to load into the island and sell a full inventory as it does to sell 100 turnips. The host shouldn't get paid less just because you didn't play optimally.

Go sell 3 NMTs for like 450k and buy a full inventory.
I simply don't have the money at this time to purchase an entire inventory worth of turnips, but I'd like to think I'm still "playing optimally". I'm having a lot of fun! It just seems awfully unkind to suggest that someone isn't playing the game right just because they aren't rich.

I simply don't have the money at this time to purchase an entire inventory worth of turnips, but I'd like to think I'm still "playing optimally". I'm having a lot of fun! It just seems awfully unkind to suggest that someone isn't playing the game right just because they aren't rich.

Sure, as long as you're having fun you are playing the right way. At the same time, you probably don't want to walk into someone else's world saying "hey, I'm only selling 100 turnips so you can only get a 5k tip from me" and expect them to acquiesce.

I don't get it either. People were not this greedy in New Leaf. And people were able to trade, cheat and whatever for years to millions and millions on Bells. Yet on a very new game, where NMT and especially bells are hard to come by (people can't even cheat any more since they patched the duplication issue), somehow people seem to think that we can afford crazy entry fees. It's honestly pathetic. I will not be given into that crap. I hope other don't fall for the crap either. They won't ask for high entry fees if they can't get it.

I love online play, but I also kinda wanna stop coming here for online play. Thankfully there are actually still good people here that make it worth it most of the time.

Eh, if someone wants to charge a large entry, I just won't go. I did pay a 300k entry to sell my turnips at 500 each.

Sure, as long as you're having fun you are playing the right way. At the same time, you probably don't want to walk into someone else's world saying "hey, I'm only selling 100 turnips so you can only get a 5k tip from me" and expect them to acquiesce.
If you are offering to have your gates open and selling, the person waits their turn, I don't see what the problem is? A tip is a tip? They took the time to leave you something, that was nice of them.

I could only ever ask for tips. my friend sold turnips for the first time today via turnip exchange and bc she didn't have much money to start with she only made 250k profit. asking for a 99k bag entry fee presumes everybody is already wealthy.
Post automatically merged:

I personally always tip 99k because i have the means to, but for it to be expected is a bit meh

I don't get it either. People were not this greedy in New Leaf. And people were able to trade, cheat and whatever for years to millions and millions on Bells. Yet on a very new game, where NMT and especially bells are hard to come by (people can't even cheat any more since they patched the duplication issue), somehow people seem to think that we can afford crazy entry fees. It's honestly pathetic. I will not be given into that crap. I hope other don't fall for the crap either. They won't ask for high entry fees if they can't get it.

I love online play, but I also kinda wanna stop coming here for online play. Thankfully there are actually still good people here that make it worth it most of the time.
I think those really "greedy" people are first time players lol they will calm down once the hype slowed down a bit.

I personally don’t care. People that request crazy fees probably don’t actually get anyone to come. There are lots of people who ask for reasonable fees or just leave it at “tips appreciated”, and those are the people who will end up gaining more in the end.

People will continue to do what others endorse...

I think if the owner of the island is putting time into creating an enjoyable experience, 10NMT is reasonable. As long as the player considers what they are going to find is valuable.

Turnips happen every Sunday so they are somewhat rare, but it's to me very similar to catching lots of rare bugs...

I also think it's fair to do 1 diy for 1nmt only sorry not sorry.

I charge a steep amount to my flower event only because I put a lot of energy and time into preparing it for the enjoyment of others.

The enjoyment I get is having a successful event and people that walk away happy. I've made friends because of my hybrid flower event.

Hopefully once us Northern Hemisphere islanders get to summer with all of the profitable fish and bugs around turnip selling won’t be quite as hot as it is now. I really do think people are going nuts for turnips because there really is no better way to make a lot of bells in a short period of time.

I don’t remember turnip selling being anything like this in New Leaf. The Tortimer island was the place to be to make those bells.

Also, i think the 99k bag is just under the assumption that most people are bringing a full inventory of turnips. I sold less than half of my inventory on a very kind person’s island who was not asking for a fee. I sold for 1,130,400 and left her three 99k bags, and I think that’s fair considering her kindness and my ability to give that much. I believe that’s how these things should typically go. From my experience, most people will tips a fair amount when someone simply says “tips appreciated” and obviously if a person sold a small number of turnips then a 99k bag is unreasonable but you never know how many turnips the sellers are bringing.

It takes time to reset for a high turnip number, and time to host people in and out, so you are paying for people's time. It's easy to say "oh, if I had a 600 turnip island I'd let people use it for free" when you haven't done the work sitting there resetting for it.

Anyway, there are better ways to make money than turnip runs, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

I just sat with my friend waiting 30 seconds while the loading screen kept appearing until her island was filled to the max. I had nowhere to be (Stay at home order so!) and neither did she! Didn't even ask for tips, plus people made multiple trips...Like is waiting 30 secs really that much that you have to pay? LOL Like it's a little annoying but...really if you look at in the big picture 8 people would be maybe 3 minutes or so, it's not that big a deal and she didn't even control the flow, she just put out the dodo code. She made 2mil bells in tips (I got 1mil for being her bodyguard LOLOL)

I personally don't care. The person is providing you a service and it is their right to ask you for whatever if you want to use their service. Just like it is your right to say, "Wow that is way too much." If you are bothered by it, don't go. Find somewhere else to sell your turnips or sell on your own island. This argument is like being mad that you go into a store and being angry that the prices are so high and expecting someone to mark it down for you. People can price their services for whatever they'd like, even if it is personally out of your price range or you think the price isn't justified. It's kind of entitled and bratty to be mad what other people charge to go onto their island. Lol.

I personally don't care. The person is providing you a service and it is their right to ask you for whatever if you want to use their service. Just like it is your right to say, "Wow that is way too much." If you are bothered by it, don't go. Find somewhere else to sell your turnips or sell on your own island. This argument is like being mad that you go into a store and being angry that the prices are so high and expecting someone to mark it down for you. People can price their services for whatever they'd like, even if it is personally out of your price range or you think the price isn't justified. It's kind of entitled and bratty to be mad what other people charge to go onto their island. Lol.

This.

I don't think anyone should tell anybody how to play the game they bought with their own money.

The game is meant to be played day by day, yes we know. Some of us have romantic partners and cats to feed. People still work while day dreaming of getting home and playing the game. That's their personal reward at the end of the day. I say good for them. They earned it!

[Plays some Robyn.]

Back