• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

If your Island is full Can You Still Invite a Random (Non-Amiibo) Camper In?

This is totally good to know! I've been holding off getting my 10th villager cause I thought I'd be locked out of a potential fave that may be camping.

If you force another villager into someone elses spot, do they keep the previous villager's house exterior?

Thanks for testing this out. Is there much time after they pick a random to move out that you could in theory reset the game before an autosave to try and get them to pick a different random?
no, they pick them pretty much immediately after talking to resident services. i've tried this out with another random camper (stitches) who i really wanted, but he kept suggesting to move flora out even AFTER shutting down the game before it autosaves, so it appears to be pre-set once the camper appears.

If you force another villager into someone elses spot, do they keep the previous villager's house exterior?
no, not from my understanding - the spot will be an empty plot for a day once you replace the villager with an amiibo villager or camper and will be "rebuilt" and become the new villagers place entirely.

no, they pick them pretty much immediately after talking to resident services. i've tried this out with another random camper (stitches) who i really wanted, but he kept suggesting to move flora out even AFTER shutting down the game before it autosaves, so it appears to be pre-set once the camper appears.

Ok thanks! It’s a bit sucky but at least there’s the option to tell them no if they want ask someone to move out who you want to keep. Just means we’ll have to keep looking for that villager another way.

So it seems random campsite move ins with a full island will be better the less dreamies/permanent villagers you have as they are less likely to choose someone you don’t want to part with.

This thread made my day! Melba showed up on my Island and I was able to get her stay! She did suggest kicking Skye out at first, I didn’t want to so I restarted. She suggested Boots next who I also wanted to keep and then on the third try a villager I was willing to let go.

I only get campers when I have an open plot. I've never had a camper when I'm at max. I thought that was the same for everyone?
Post automatically merged:

Thanks for testing this out. Is there much time after they pick a random to move out that you could in theory reset the game before an autosave to try and get them to pick a different random?

Not specific to campers, but in general I find that if you reset before a dialogue finishes that'll void whatever the dialogue was about. Have done this a couple of times when a villager wanted to buy something off me and I accidentally selected yes instead of no.

Last edited:
There is a way around this. Once the villager agrees to move in and chooses someone to replace if it's not who you want immediately close the game, do not finish the conversation. Come back in and do the whole thing again(talk to camper, win game etc) and they can pick a different villager to replace. You may need to do this multiple times to get them to pick who you want.

I only get campers when I have an open plot. I've never had a camper when I'm at max. I thought that was the same for everyone?

When there's an open plot, you can meet villagers on deserted islands. But for the campsite, they will appear at any time even if there is no open plot (tbh if they only visited when you have an open plot it would be terrible since the camper would have to visit on the day you just happen to have an opening before Tom Nook fills it for you). Though one thing I noticed is that the frequency of campsite visitors I get increased once I got all 10 plots filled.

When there's an open plot, you can meet villagers on deserted islands. But for the campsite, they will appear at any time even if there is no open plot (tbh if they only visited when you have an open plot it would be terrible since the camper would have to visit on the day you just happen to have an opening before Tom Nook fills it for you). Though one thing I noticed is that the frequency of campsite visitors I get increased once I got all 10 plots filled.

This is bizarre, I have only ever got non-amiibo campers when I have an open plot. My campsite stands empty 99% of the time.

AH! What you can do is invite the natural camper into your town once you win the game. Sometimes it’s to correctly choose the suit of cards or sometimes choose between black or red.

Once you’ve won, they’re randomly choose a villager. If that is a villager you want to keep, SHUT THE GAME OFF BEFORE AUTO-SAVE.

You can basically save scum for a villager you want to leave.

If you don’t shut the game off before auto-save, you’re now stuck with that choice because the camper had “locked” in that villager to move out.

Back