• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Idea for TBT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my gender listed in my about me but the amount of people who misgender me is still incredibly high. not everyone is interested in viewing a profile, which why I think having something visible /on our posts/ is more proactive / useful in this case than adding another tab to a profile barely anybody truly reads anyway.

I have a different suggestion to make. Can I mention this here or should I make a new thread?

I remember suggesting a pinging system for TBT where you can @ someone so they'll be notified of your post/reply, just like in Gaia Online and Flight Rising. I didn't know if the same feature is available for vBulletin but apparently it is!
http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/stor...medium=Advanced+User+Tagging&utm_content=Lite

It's rather expensive but I think it'd be useful like for pinging lurkers in Villager Trading Plaza all at once instead of sending them VMs, in mafia games for prodding someone to contribute, replying to conversations, etc.

What do you guys think?

Lol with all this gender confusion everyone on here probably feels like Professor Oak.

Last edited:
I have a different suggestion to make. Can I mention this here or should I make a new thread?

I remember suggesting a pinging system for TBT where you can @ someone so they'll be notified of your post/reply, just like in Gaia Online and Flight Rising. I didn't know if the same feature is available for vBulletin but apparently it is!
http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com/stor...medium=Advanced+User+Tagging&utm_content=Lite

It's rather expensive but I think it'd be useful like for pinging lurkers in Villager Trading Plaza all at once instead of sending them VMs, in mafia games for prodding someone to contribute, replying to conversations, etc.

What do you guys think?
That's already been brought up many times, the leaders say they like the idea.

Im a guy... i support this...
Have yet to be mistaken for a girl, but just in-case someone in the future...

Yes..
Happens sooo many times to me.
Idek why. I don't talk like a girl.

Maybe your avatar? Just an idea.

MAYBE... We could actually have everyone's gender on their profile????????

I don't think everyone's would be necessary. :p

Here's an interesting read showing than women are typically seen as better coders but only if their gender is hidden. Some similar gender bias could also be applied here which is why I think it should be completely optional.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/12/women-considered-better-coders-hide-gender-github

Maybe your avatar? Just an idea.

I don't think everyone's would be necessary. :p

Here's an interesting read showing than women are typically seen as better coders but only if their gender is hidden. Some similar gender bias could also be applied here which is why I think it should be completely optional.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/12/women-considered-better-coders-hide-gender-github
Yeah but changing gender should be an option in edit profile. What do they expect us to do? Look at the user's New Leaf name and make an estimated guess?

Yeah but changing gender should be an option in edit profile. What do they expect us to do? Look at the user's New Leaf name and make an estimated guess?

Or nothing because unless people are dating or something, gender isn't really relevant. :p

At this rate we may as well be adding in race and all...

If everyone on here is genderless then there's no bias, everyone can be referred to by their username or 'they' and everyone's happy.

If someone's bothered about that then they can use their username, user title, avatar or about me section to write whatever. We're all human at the end of the day.

Oh yea that's nice, i always feel so ashamed when i use the wrong pronoun for someone :(

Or nothing because unless people are dating or something, gender isn't really relevant. :p

If everyone on here is genderless then there's no bias, everyone can be referred to by their username or 'they' and everyone's happy.

If someone's bothered about that then they can use their username, user title, avatar or about me section to write whatever. We're all human at the end of the day.

Why are you trying to be an ass and making something out of nothing?

How is ensuring people use the correct pronouns towards you comparable with having your race, which hardly comes up in conversation let alone on the boards listed?
Very few people use singular "they" to refer to everyone they come across, and while it'd be great if people did, I don't expect everyone to. Especially people whose first language isn't English. That's making matters even more complicated than just having a gender or pronouns section.

Well, usually when websites do a gender thing, its usually male or female, never considering the third option, everyone has a gender but theres always only a male or female option, no 3rd (if you know what i mean here)

Well, usually when websites do a gender thing, its usually male or female, never considering the third option, everyone has a gender but theres always only a male or female option, no 3rd (if you know what i mean here)

The few I've used have included a third N/A option where the icon was just a plain color instead of the typical blue/pink.

you sound so offended towards the idea of other people being comfortable and not having to deal with being misgendered.

gender does have relevance past relationships and attraction of people. you sound nasty.
if you don't want your gender on your profile, cool, that's why we said make it's visibility OPTIONAL. but you've still refused to back down. cool, you're like one in 10 people here who aren't for it. good for you. if it becomes a function, don't use it. seriously. problem solved.

i'm all for the idea of they/them being the norm for pronouns when meeting new people, but we don't live in a perfect world and many people are opposed/ confused/ don't care enough to use gender neutral pronouns when meeting new people. as ideal as it may be, people just aren't there yet. bless you for being able to use they/them for new encounters, but sadly, you are in fact, not the majority.

i don't know what vendetta you've got against tbt having the option to have gender on their side profiles, but i don't see your point in ****ting all over here against it when you have no real relevance towards it. "well use their tbt name instead" ok, i've been around on this forum for over a year now and i'm still misgendered by people who reply to me using my username, taesaek. i've had my "he/him/his standard hey i'm trans please don't call me a ****ing woman." in my bio for over a year now and i have over 15k page views and you know what? i'm /still/ misgendered on a weekly basis on the forums. yeah at the end of the day we are all human, but i don't see why you feel such strong need to continue to bash something that will be incredibly beneficial to people who do not fit the standard gender binary.

all we're asking is to feel comfortable. why are you so against that?

Why are you trying to be an ass and making something out of nothing?

My point was that it's nothing though...

How is ensuring people use the correct pronouns towards you comparable with having your race, which hardly comes up in conversation let alone on the boards listed?

Because gender doesn't come up in conversation any more than race...

Few people are a bit of both. :p

I know Google has the options of male, female and other. For the latter you can enter literally anything which I think is a little too far as it should either be a bit of both or undefined.

- - - Post Merge - - -

you sound so offended towards the idea of other people being comfortable and not having to deal with being misgendered.

gender does have relevance past relationships and attraction of people. you sound nasty.
if you don't want your gender on your profile, cool, that's why we said make it's visibility OPTIONAL. but you've still refused to back down. cool, you're like one in 10 people here who aren't for it. good for you. if it becomes a function, don't use it. seriously. problem solved.

i'm all for the idea of they/them being the norm for pronouns when meeting new people, but we don't live in a perfect world and many people are opposed/ confused/ don't care enough to use gender neutral pronouns when meeting new people. as ideal as it may be, people just aren't there yet. bless you for being able to use they/them for new encounters, but sadly, you are in fact, not the majority.

i don't know what vendetta you've got against tbt having the option to have gender on their side profiles, but i don't see your point in ****ting all over here against it when you have no real relevance towards it. "well use their tbt name instead" ok, i've been around on this forum for over a year now and i'm still misgendered by people who reply to me using my username, taesaek. i've had my "he/him/his standard hey i'm trans please don't call me a ****ing woman." in my bio for over a year now and i have over 15k page views and you know what? i'm /still/ misgendered on a weekly basis on the forums. yeah at the end of the day we are all human, but i don't see why you feel such strong need to continue to bash something that will be incredibly beneficial to people who do not fit the standard gender binary.

all we're asking is to feel comfortable. why are you so against that?

I'm not offended by it but rather just saying it's not a major issue that needs addressing right this very second.

You will always be Taesaek (or on this thread #77) to us. :p

- - - Post Merge - - -

Let's mark this down as another discussion I should've just let alone. *sigh*

Last edited:
I'm not offended by it but rather just saying it's not a major issue that needs addressing right this very second.

your attitude towards it reeks of, "it doesn't apple to me, therefore it doesn't matter."

nobody here is saying we need this implemented right this minute.
god damn jubs, why don't you get off your ass and install it today, you big monster you !! wowza.

no, we're just saying it wouldn't be a bad thing to consider. especially if it's a simple addon that wont require a hell of a lot of tinkering to add in. i'm sure there's tone of great ideas for tbt that people have mentioned and have been wanted for however long that time period is, but i don't see why you're so adamant at dismissing something that actually does affect a persons mental health. i really don't.

My point was that it's nothing though...

Because gender doesn't come up in conversation any more than race...

I know Google has the options of male, female and other. For the latter you can enter literally anything which I think is a little too far as it should either be a bit of both or undefined.

Let's mark this down as another discussion I should've just let alone. *sigh*
MY POINT was that you're going out of your way to not only **** on an idea and others, but also that you're trying to create negatives to idea where there is none. Gender comes up far more often than race, especially if you get to know other members well enough. Ultimately you don't get to decide someone's gender, if someone wants to be Spaghetti gendered on Google that's cool! Let them be, it causes literally no harm to anyone.

Ultimately yes, you ought to have dropped the thread like you said you would pages ago since you're clearly grasping at straw here to find negatives to an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back