• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

How do you choose games?

Tbh, sometimes I will buy a game based on the art style. For instance, if the art is anime-ish, I will definitely look into buying it. Visual novels don't count though, cuz a lot of them (probably most of them) have anime-ish art, but there are definitely a lot of visual novels I wouldn't play just due to the themes.

All depends, really. But in general I try to look up gameplay and controls in general. I don't want another MH3U with as many commands as possible clogged up on a 3ds. As for art style I don't really mind/care for specific ones, but yeah I'm not for overly fantasy art that copies everything else done. I do fancy me some anime stuff though.

But yeah I try to look around for like, youtube videos/players(if they are tolerable to listen to), reviews etc.

Gameplay, videos, reviews, and I judge graphics pretty seriously too haha (especially on MMOs).
I do make exceptions in regards to graphics though

Partially reviews, partially game play videos....and also intuition too I guess? Idk. Those are the primary ways.

I usually procrastinate long enough to the point where I just pick something out of frustration.

This speaks to me.. on the very few occasions I go to a brick & mortar store for games. This is basically how I handle it. :v

I have a base requirement of 1 hour of gameplay per $1 spent; if it costs $40, I expect to spend at least 40 hours on it. A trip to HLTB is vital. And I always browse Steam reviews to see what the complaints are. Steam reviews are good for that.

Typically if it's less than $20 and looks interesting, the keyword here is impulse

If it's over $20, then it is an expensive game and I must do my homework. Written reviews for opinions and silent gameplay videos to get a feel for the beginning (that is, Longplays, no commentary. I don't want to hear you, I want to hear the game.)
I'll probably still wait for it to drop under $20 or get bundled. That's too rich for my blood.

I can't even pretend that it being part of a series I've loved/hated has any bearing on my decision anymore. Devs what are you even doing

For example, I haaaaated Dragon Age: Origins, and I never played DA2 (eventually got it in a bundle, but its sat unplayed) because it was so poorly received, I never gave it a chance. Meanwhile, Dragon Age: Inquisition was, by far, one of my best impulse-sale purchases. Booted it up just to try it, and nearly 200 hours later.. lol.
On the other hand, I loved the first two (cough, three) Paper Mario titles.. but I never touched the Wii version that I got as a gift, and Sticker Star was.. uh.. boring, to say the least. I regret even spending the $15 sale price on it.

Last edited:
I always go out of my way to look at review on any game I like the look of. Watching videos and checking out Amazon reviews, then checking out other online reviews and trailers.
Generally I stick with what I know; Pokemon, Zelda, Marino, etc.
But anything new or unfamiliar then I'll do quite a bit of reading on it first, since these games are especially cheap generally and I don't want to waste my money.

I usually ask for recommendations from friends or my brother. My brother is somehow insanely good at guessing which games I'll like. Unfortunately, I can't return the favour. He somehow never likes the games I suggest to him (but maybe it's because it's me recommending them and it's not "cool" to like something your sister recommended when you're a teen boy).

Back