• LIVE A gaming event as part of The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 is currently being livestreamed on TBT's Twitch channel here -- spectators who chat on Discord can earn points too!
  • TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

How do you choose games?

Tbh, sometimes I will buy a game based on the art style. For instance, if the art is anime-ish, I will definitely look into buying it. Visual novels don't count though, cuz a lot of them (probably most of them) have anime-ish art, but there are definitely a lot of visual novels I wouldn't play just due to the themes.

All depends, really. But in general I try to look up gameplay and controls in general. I don't want another MH3U with as many commands as possible clogged up on a 3ds. As for art style I don't really mind/care for specific ones, but yeah I'm not for overly fantasy art that copies everything else done. I do fancy me some anime stuff though.

But yeah I try to look around for like, youtube videos/players(if they are tolerable to listen to), reviews etc.

Gameplay, videos, reviews, and I judge graphics pretty seriously too haha (especially on MMOs).
I do make exceptions in regards to graphics though

Partially reviews, partially game play videos....and also intuition too I guess? Idk. Those are the primary ways.

I usually procrastinate long enough to the point where I just pick something out of frustration.

This speaks to me.. on the very few occasions I go to a brick & mortar store for games. This is basically how I handle it. :v

I have a base requirement of 1 hour of gameplay per $1 spent; if it costs $40, I expect to spend at least 40 hours on it. A trip to HLTB is vital. And I always browse Steam reviews to see what the complaints are. Steam reviews are good for that.

Typically if it's less than $20 and looks interesting, the keyword here is impulse

If it's over $20, then it is an expensive game and I must do my homework. Written reviews for opinions and silent gameplay videos to get a feel for the beginning (that is, Longplays, no commentary. I don't want to hear you, I want to hear the game.)
I'll probably still wait for it to drop under $20 or get bundled. That's too rich for my blood.

I can't even pretend that it being part of a series I've loved/hated has any bearing on my decision anymore. Devs what are you even doing

For example, I haaaaated Dragon Age: Origins, and I never played DA2 (eventually got it in a bundle, but its sat unplayed) because it was so poorly received, I never gave it a chance. Meanwhile, Dragon Age: Inquisition was, by far, one of my best impulse-sale purchases. Booted it up just to try it, and nearly 200 hours later.. lol.
On the other hand, I loved the first two (cough, three) Paper Mario titles.. but I never touched the Wii version that I got as a gift, and Sticker Star was.. uh.. boring, to say the least. I regret even spending the $15 sale price on it.

Last edited:
I always go out of my way to look at review on any game I like the look of. Watching videos and checking out Amazon reviews, then checking out other online reviews and trailers.
Generally I stick with what I know; Pokemon, Zelda, Marino, etc.
But anything new or unfamiliar then I'll do quite a bit of reading on it first, since these games are especially cheap generally and I don't want to waste my money.

I usually ask for recommendations from friends or my brother. My brother is somehow insanely good at guessing which games I'll like. Unfortunately, I can't return the favour. He somehow never likes the games I suggest to him (but maybe it's because it's me recommending them and it's not "cool" to like something your sister recommended when you're a teen boy).

Back