• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Hourly Music Survey (Updated Data as of May 5th, 2021!)

A lot of the music isn't as bad as people say. It's not the strongest contender, though. The best music was in the first Animal Crossing game, followed by New Leaf.

I rarely play with the music on anymore, but since I've always played starting at around 5am every morning that's one track that's stuck in my head and become basically the "quintessential" NH hourly track for me. I never play beyond 10pm so this actually my first time hearing the tracks from 11 to 4 oops.

Oh I thoroughly enjoyed filling this out :D Just gonna talk about my top five favorites real quick ><

Number five for me is, funny enough, 5pm ! Especially with the fall vibes in game right now coupled with the yellow-ish green of the grass & the near sunset sun ?? The vibes are immaculate I have to say be honest ! 8/10 for me personally and in comparison to all the others like an 8/10

Number 4 is 2pm ! Just a funky lil midday song, can't go wrong with this one. I like to do chores to 2pm, keeps me invigorated :D Again, 9/10 for me personally but 8/10 in comparison to the rest

Number 3 is 7pm ! I do a lot of terraforming to this banger, and another one but we'll get there when we get there, because it's so sleepy sounding-- reminds me of how I feel waking up from accidentally falling asleep around 2-3 and waking up to the sun going down/being down. Side not, I like to play this when I take my dog for a walk lol 10/10 for me and 9/10 all around

Number 2 is 11pm ! I do recreational activities while listening to this one personally, really good vibes for just sitting/laying somewhere n just existing. That aside, I like bug hunting/fishing/island touring around this time because of the music-- keeps me focused on the tasks without being overly loud and in your face. 10/10 personally and all around.

Number 1 is 5am ! My sleep schedule is terrible and I regularly fall asleep listening to this as a result. The piano is just chefs kiss immaculate. 11/10 all around

Also, I know everyone has mixed opinions on this games music but the rainy versions don't miss and I stand firmly by that.

What a fun survey! Will begin filling it out soon. 5am and 6pm are probably my favorite c':

I love everyone's responses in this thread! All the differing opinions are quite interesting and then it's cool to see them charted out on the survey. I have updated the first post again with the most recent stats!

Some interesting findings I noticed...
-A couple of people voted almost all the tracks as 1's, so most of tracks' ratings went down in general.
-5am is the highest rated track and the only one in the Almost Perfect tier. 2am just barely fell out of that tier.
-3am had a significant jump from the Average tier to almost the top of the Above Average tier.
-2pm is the lowest rated track, but still manages to sit in the Average tier.
-The overall average of all tracks is 6.43, which puts them in the Good tier.

Thanks so much again everyone and please feel free to pass this along to others if you want to!

5am and 5pm are tied for my top faves. 5am is just so relaxing and peaceful. Perfect for dawn. Meanwhile, 5pm is just sexy. Earcandy.

Haha I'm responsible for that 3am spike. I gave it a 10.

It's not even like, my favorite of all the hourly music, but I gave it and it alone a 10 for 1 reason: it stands out. The rhythms, instrumentation, and just general tone is so vastly different from the entire rest of the soundtrack, it's one of the only tracks that I'll never confuse with another, and that to me earns its place.

I also chose not to give anything a 1. That felt unfair, because I don't think anything is "unlistenable." 2pm came close though, I think that got a 2 from me.

Edit: it'd also be cooler at some point to see some sort of graph plotting the votes, maybe a line graph showing each voter as a line to kinda see when people enjoy similar things all across the board or not.

Thanks for doing this survey! It's very interesting to see!
Overall, NH's soundtracks is in line with New Leaf and Wild World/City Folk. I'd rate it overall a 7/10. There are a few good tracks, but most of the themes are just forgettable. This applies to pretty much all games since the original.
The original Animal Crossing has very quirky, memorable themes, which is why it is my favourite so far.
I feel like what really holds the soundtrack back is the use of that weird, synth-sounding thing. It's an annoying, high-pitched noise, which I really dont like and doesnt fit the chill vibe of Animal Crossing. And judging by the results so far, people seem to agree. The themes that use more acoustic instruments are generally more popular.

2am and 6pm are my favorite by a long shot, with most of the rest being a 4-7. 6pm in particular reminds me of WW music! I think that if it were another game, I'd like it more, but I just frankly like WW and NL soundtracks more. I'm generally neutral while playing, but I did find when sampling listening back to back, that most of them kinda blended into each other a bit TOO much (a strong theme is one thing, not being able to tell the hourly mood or really tell them apart is another), and weirdly found myself feeling a bit.... irritated? On like, a gut reaction kind of level.

5am is my LEAST favorite. I think I'd like it well enough as like, a holiday track, or something? Or maybe a K.K. song. But nothing about it says "5pm" to me, and while I feel like it's a 3/4 personally now, when I first heard it, it was like a 1. I'd probably dislike it less if it was a funky 3am track or something, but it's during a time I play a lot so it really wears on me.

Haha I'm responsible for that 3am spike. I gave it a 10.

It's not even like, my favorite of all the hourly music, but I gave it and it alone a 10 for 1 reason: it stands out. The rhythms, instrumentation, and just general tone is so vastly different from the entire rest of the soundtrack, it's one of the only tracks that I'll never confuse with another, and that to me earns its place.

I also chose not to give anything a 1. That felt unfair, because I don't think anything is "unlistenable." 2pm came close though, I think that got a 2 from me.

Edit: it'd also be cooler at some point to see some sort of graph plotting the votes, maybe a line graph showing each voter as a line to kinda see when people enjoy similar things all across the board or not.

That’s a great reasoning for 3am! I might actually have to think about my answer for that now...
Also I’ll see about doing a chart or something similar!

Thanks for doing this survey! It's very interesting to see!
Overall, NH's soundtracks is in line with New Leaf and Wild World/City Folk. I'd rate it overall a 7/10. There are a few good tracks, but most of the themes are just forgettable. This applies to pretty much all games since the original.
The original Animal Crossing has very quirky, memorable themes, which is why it is my favourite so far.
I feel like what really holds the soundtrack back is the use of that weird, synth-sounding thing. It's an annoying, high-pitched noise, which I really dont like and doesnt fit the chill vibe of Animal Crossing. And judging by the results so far, people seem to agree. The themes that use more acoustic instruments are generally more popular.

Yes! Pretty much any track without the synth sound is doing well. I’ll update the front page probably tomorrow and you’ll see it still holds true

2am and 6pm are my favorite by a long shot, with most of the rest being a 4-7. 6pm in particular reminds me of WW music! I think that if it were another game, I'd like it more, but I just frankly like WW and NL soundtracks more. I'm generally neutral while playing, but I did find when sampling listening back to back, that most of them kinda blended into each other a bit TOO much (a strong theme is one thing, not being able to tell the hourly mood or really tell them apart is another), and weirdly found myself feeling a bit.... irritated? On like, a gut reaction kind of level.

5am is my LEAST favorite. I think I'd like it well enough as like, a holiday track, or something? Or maybe a K.K. song. But nothing about it says "5pm" to me, and while I feel like it's a 3/4 personally now, when I first heard it, it was like a 1. I'd probably dislike it less if it was a funky 3am track or something, but it's during a time I play a lot so it really wears on me.

Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one who doesn’t really enjoy 5pm so I’m glad to hear you agree. It’s just too much for me.

This!

Makes my ears bleed. >..<

LOL

It’s the ultimate tease because it starts kinda fun and funky and then SCREEEEEEEE

The front page has been updated again! I have a feeling I may not update it again for a while as we just hit 51 people and I don't see too many more submissions being sent in anytime soon.

New things I noticed...
  • 5am's rating did not change at all and it's still #1.
  • 3pm's tier drop I don't understand...I really like that track! On the other hand, I understand 11pm's tier drop.
  • 13 tracks went up in rating while 10 went down, unlike last time where a large majority of the tracks fell in rating.
  • The overall average of tracks has stayed exactly the same at a rating of 6.43.
  • Splitting things into categories...
    • Morning Tracks (5am-10am) Average Rating: 7.07
    • Afternoon Tracks (11am-4pm) Average Rating: 5.89
    • Evening Tracks (5pm-10pm) Average Rating: 6.41
    • Night Tracks (11pm-4am) Average Rating: 6.36
  • And another split...
    • AM Tracks (12am-11am) Average Rating: 6.72
    • PM Tracks (12pm-11pm) Average Rating: 6.14
  • I don't know HOW somebody could not like the snowy version of the tracks. I love them so much, but oh well!
  • With how much people like the New Leaf Hourly Tracks I'm considering doing one of these surveys with those...
Thanks again to all who participated!

Man, 3am needs more love. It's so clowny and I personally would love more music like that. My opinions are always super unpopular though lol

Man, 3am needs more love. It's so clowny and I personally would love more music like that. My opinions are always super unpopular though lol

I agree! I think it is PERFECT for the time is plays at and it's like Nintendo was like "yeah most people won't ever hear this track so do whatever you want". It reminds me of the quirkiness of the original Gamecube hourly tracks.

Woo, another survey-taker down!
I think my series-wide ranking would go: 64/GC > NH > WW/CF >> NL
I started with ACGC so I have some bias there, but it's deserved!
The majority of NL's soundtrack grates at me after not long. Especially the daytime hours with the weird 'clicking' noises. AARGH those clicking noises 💢

Back to NH, though: it's grown on me a lot, which surprises me! I suppose I've got a huge weak spot for the double bass representation (which I'm saying as someone who plays the double bass 😉)
I mean, it's one of the main instruments in the legendary 3AM! (yes, I likey 3AM)
I do like the marimba rep for the rainy/snowy variants even though it does completely steal the role of the bass. There's a noticeable enough difference and it's a good trade to hear every now and then.

Seconding @TheDuke55 on 2PM = Home Movies. 2PM is tolerable at best but I can seriously appreciate it because I can't help but associate the two.

(Another association problem: I have slight issues with NH's 7AM because I can only hear Michael Bublé's Everything in it. I think I was exposed to that song just a tad much when I was younger. I don't hate either 7AM or that song but...AAH)

Thank you for creating this poll! I just answered the questions and it was interesting to see how others answered it!
Personally I have to say I’m pretty disappointed by the soundtrack. Some are downright annoying for me to listen to, i think it’s the synthesizer, to me it’s so screechy. Especially 2pm and 5pm. And don’t get me started on the frog concert that is 3am. I have insomnia and sometimes want to play at 3am doing some fishing etc. but the music makes me not even want to boot up the game lol.
In new leaf I really loved all the tracks, they were relaxing and fun.
My favorite track in new horizons is 2am, I wish there were more tracks like this one, it’s relaxing, perfect for the night time!

Thank you for creating this poll! I just answered the questions and it was interesting to see how others answered it!
Personally I have to say I’m pretty disappointed by the soundtrack. Some are downright annoying for me to listen to, i think it’s the synthesizer, to me it’s so screechy. Especially 2pm and 5pm. And don’t get me started on the frog concert that is 3am. I have insomnia and sometimes want to play at 3am doing some fishing etc. but the music makes me not even want to boot up the game lol.
In new leaf I really loved all the tracks, they were relaxing and fun.
My favorite track in new horizons is 2am, I wish there were more tracks like this one, it’s relaxing, perfect for the night time!
Haha I love how much hate 3am gets. It's my favorite and that just makes me like it more.

Unfortunately I never play that late at night, at least I haven't since my island was deserted.

I don't really dislike any of the songs but I also turn my sound down really low most of the time haha

Back