• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! We'll announce the winners for our Master Ball raffle and distribute your hard-earned arcade tokens soon.

Do you want the shops to be on your island or on a separate island?

Aubrey895

Islander Lyric of Lily Cove
Bells
Switch
5386-8207-0510
Tasty Cake
Orange (Fruit)
Small Mailbox
For me I want to have most things on my island. I want to be able to decide exactly where all the different buildings are placed. I?d like if maybe we got to travel to the mainland to go to like Gracies store for example. Not like the city in city folk though. It?s weird having a city in a game like animal crossing. I definitely don?t want the city to return.

What do you think? Do you want the shops on your island or do you want to have to travel to a different place to get to them?

Hmm, good question. I think I'd like some on my island and some on a separate island, maybe the one with Harvey? That way the most convenient shops are closer and you still get that fun feeling of travelling!

Definitely on my island. I would like to find places for the shops on there too and it would make it much easier to get to them, than having to go to another island to access them. Of course though, going to another island wouldn't be all that bad, but I miss having them in town like the old games, so definitely on my island. :)

I think this is a really thought provoking question!

I'd like the essential shops which provide my daily needs near to me but luxury item shops to be located a bit further away so I can enjoy a little traveling too!

I always think about the needs of my villagers too!

I really want to make a list but I need more info on shops and their use in this game so I can plan properly! ( ੭ ˙࿁˙ )੭ ᐝ

I like having The Roost nearby but I would love to have it situated near the ocean so I can hear it inside!
Alternatively, I'd like to be near a waterfall and hear that.
In my NL town I placed it near the campground so it was almost like a service station for weary travellers! ʕ'⁻̫ '⌯︎ʔ༅͙̥̇

I'm a little bit scared that if we have to place all the shops and buildings on our island it might feel to small for me. But I guess I'll have to see once the game comes out.

Essential shops (Re-Tail and Nook services) on the island, other shops on a neighbouring island would be the ideal setup for me.

However, this would require travel time between islands to be no slower than simply walking north to the downtown area in New Leaf... I'd find it tedious if I had to endure a lengthy boat/plane animation or - worse - a sing-song ride with Kapp'n everytime I wanted to donate a fossil or buy some new clothes from the Abels.

Alternatives:
  • Maybe we build a jetty with lots of shops on it? Many waterfronted cities in real life have such swanky districts.
  • Or perhaps we build a single, central shopping centre which is a bit of a TARDIS - doesn't take up too much room outside, but inside has lots of different shops.
  • Or the island map is deceptive at the cliffs at the rear don't go straight into the sea, but instead you tunnel through to find more land for a shopping district.
  • Or maybe none of the above and it's a pleasant yet surprising alternative I haven't even imagined (probably the best way for it to be!)

Last edited:
I want a small shop like Re-Tail to remain on my island, and the rest of the stores on an island we can travel to.

honestly i would like all my shops to be on a separate island, but i dont think that will be the case. i really dislike it when things arent match-y (not identical because that would stink, but when things have a commonality) and retail always stuck out like a sore thumb with most of my themes. i always tried to go for maps in new leaf that had retail, the town plaza, and the town hall all in one area so i could spread my villagers and pwps out. it would stink for accessibility if they were all someplace else, but i try to lump all my tasks so that i could do them all in one sweep. but i think it would be less "suffocating" to spread the stores out so it would be nice if instead of them all being outside of the island, some are on it and some aren't.

I would rather have them somewhere seperate. I want my town to reallly just befocused on houses and landscape so I don't want a bunch of random buildings all over the place. Even beter if they're somewhere seperate and we can decide where they go. I don't mind a town hall area being in my town, but I had mine right in the middle of the map for New leaf and I'd rather not have it that way this time around.

a few on the island and the rest on an alternate island (i really want to be able to build the roost directly on my island, and it would be handy having the recycling place close, and then nostalgia reasons having able sisters and tom nooks on the island also) and then the rest having a separate island similar to the city in CF.

The closer the better for me. The further it is away, the more likely I am going to forget about it.
That was definitely my largest issue with City Folk.

I'd prefer them not be on the island. It would be really weird for a whole shopping area to be on a deserted island and would totally kill the island feel to it. Maybe Re-Tail would have a small tent by tom nook. But the able sisters and normal shops like that would just be weird there. And I wouldn't want them to have tiny stalls with like 5% of the stock of a normal store like in pocket camp. Just a quick boat trip loading screen would be good enough for me. It'd just be like going up to main street, just with a different flavor of how you're getting there.

Knowing my luck though, all the shops will just be like apps on the phone or something and they'll have the daily stock there and buying it just has like Pete or someone just drop a box on you.

I'm fine with either, but I really hope loading times are improved if thats the case. It needs to be quick to get to other islands, or a shopping district, or what have you.

I'd also like the museum to be on our island if we have our own exhibits again. Kinda silly if we can't show them off.

I want them separated! I want as much space on the island for landscaping with all the possibilities of placing furniture outside. From the trailer the Nook centre or whatever it's called is the first place we can sell items, and that area will probably get upgraded as we progress in the game into a bigger town hall. I'd be fine with selling my stuff there. What I want is a separate island or shop area where we have a variety of new shops manned by new and returning NPCs. Perhaps those shop keepers buy certain items for more than the Nooklings, but I'd still want as much free space on my island as I can get so I wont mind the travel! The only thing that worries me that there wont be a separate area for shops is that I can't really picture any place on the map not on the immediate island that would allow for a travel area for shops. There's those rock things at the top but I doubt there'd be anything there unless there's some kind of mining introduced because of the crafting element. The only other place I can think of where the majority of shops could be located is Harvey's little island. Although it also looks really undeveloped and deserted, so maybe it's another section we have the option to fix up.

I would definitely want all of the main shops that I use daily to be located on my island. Nook's store, the Able Sisters, and the Museum are the main ones I would like to see integrated. I liked the way they were integrated into the town in the GameCube version.

Of course, there are so many shops and amenities now, so I would be okay with some of them being located elsewhere as long as it didn't take too much time to travel there and back. Places like the Roost, Gracie's store, Shampoodle's, etc, could be separate and I wouldn't mind because I don't need to visit them every day.

I want a small shop like Re-Tail to remain on my island, and the rest of the stores on an island we can travel to.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind this at all and hope this is the case.

I really don't want a bunch of buildings taking up the map on top of villager houses and other possible attractions. And recreating Main Street to the north of the town might suffice, but it's also a thing of "been there, done that" after basically building up Main St. in New Leaf. The only negative thing about having the other shops on another island is a possible loading screen, but with a Re-Tail on the main island, we'd be fine.

i think we are going to see them on the island with a few shops that we can't move. they will probably be in that dirt plaza that we saw in trailers and treehouse gameplay. however i hope we get to choose exactly where certain shops go on the island, especially AFTER they have been built. though ideally i'd love the option for a separate shopping island hub like in city folk, except without the deadly loading times.

Ummm I don?t know.
I hope the same island to make it?s easier, however if that?s the case, I would really like the island to be bigger than the space we had in new leaf.

If the shops are in a different place, I?m hoping it?s not to complicated to get to them. If I had to hop in a boat to the island like we do in new leaf ( I don?t think I would like that). Especially not if kapp?n Is singing.

I think the idea of having seperate islands for everything is a lot of fun, but I personally don't care about it either way. I had no problem with Wild World and I had no problem with New Leaf's shops. I just want the main island to have as much space as possible.

It depends which shops and buildings. I'd like the ability to choose the placement for them, too. I would like Brewster's, The postal office, the museum and Mabel & Sable's store to stay on your island and Shops like Nookington's, Gracie's, or Harriet to be on a separate side of my map like in New Leaf or an island not to far from your own.

Back