• Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

DLC Likely: Nintendo wants to keep consumers playing its games for a prolonged period

QueenOpossum

Trash Queen
Bells
Switch
7595-9919-0672
Christmas Candy
Christmas Candy
Snow Angel Snowman
Tin Robot
Purple Bat Potion
Key to Bell Tree Manor
Ghostly Preserves
Eerie Star Potion
The Bell Tree World Championship 2021 Patch
Summer Shell
See page 11 of this report:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2020/200131_2e.pdf

"We are also focused on initiatives that keep consumers
playing after the software has been released. As
announced recently, we plan to update the in-game
content and distribute new add-on content for Pok?mon
Sword and Pok?mon Shield. And as we've mentioned
before, we've decided to create even more additional
fighters for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate."

Smash Ultimate had a full game with ALMOST EVERY CHARACTER EVER and then is adding more with their add on fighter packs. Pokemon base game was less well received but the DLC looks quite good, and will replace a traditional third/fourth entry in the generation, most likely.

The DLC for BotW was also well received.

With DLC seeming likely, do you think it will be a SEASON PASS with a large chunk of content (like BotW and Pokemon) or smaller passes like Smash?

Keep it's customers paying. :-/

- - - Post Merge - - -

Honestly, if it's not an ongoing expense, as in, very rare, and a decent amount of content, AND cheap, then I wouldn't mind so much.

The island premise seems like the perfect opportunity for Nintendo to turn AC in to a GaaS game, or at the very least have a long steams of dlc content in the form of expanded island content.

Hoping for some beautiful promo DLC!
If Rosalina ever gets her own title game, the DLC is going to be Galaxlicious!
Or if they ever release SMG3 ٩꒰ʘʚʘ๑꒱۶
I want some Luma love and to eat some stars because playing SMG, I could taste those stars, they taste so cosmic! ♡♡♡

I hope we get DLC for the game. Whether it’s new clothing/hairstyles/furniture or something new to the game altogether

be it paid or not, i'll probably be more than down for it.
i would love to see some dlc, but i do hope it's free like the welcome amiibo update was.

We will wait and see. Just can't/won't make any firm decision(s) with so little real information and so much speculation and rumor.

i wouldnt mind if theres dlc, it just depends on the price & how often its released (aka dont go the sims 4 route pls nintendo). i never thought a game like animal crossing would need dlc because its kind of a play every day for a bit kinda game. like the mechanics of it push you towards playing for extended periods of time (like play the same island/town for 2 years or so kinda thing).

I hope AC DLC continues to be free. Keep the micro transactions in Pocket Camp.

But if Nintendo decides to put in rare sets you can buy with real money, like the ones you get in the fortune cookies in PC, I wouldn’t be surprised.

I hope AC DLC continues to be free. Keep the micro transactions in Pocket Camp.

But if Nintendo decides to put in rare sets you can buy with real money, like the ones you get in the fortune cookies in PC, I wouldn’t be surprised.

My only concern is if Nintendo see how accepting people are of paid DLC, then they may end up adding it regularly, and NH will be the new PC.

If it's once a year, or once every couple of years, yeah.

I wouldn't mind buying DLC I really only buy my Nintendo consoles for Animal Crossing so I don't mind shelling out a few extra bucks for extra features.

Last edited:
I don?t mind pain DLC just don?t be like the sims DLC and sell extra items for an insane price lol. I wouldn?t pay for furniture packs.

i would very much hate to see mainstream animal crossing go the route of paid DLC. especially because we already have amiibos and amiibo cards...

Considering that this model is based off games that aren't simulators, i wouldn't compare it to games like BOTW and the like, so you have to treat this a bit differently.

When I bought Mario Kart 8 for Wii U, I got a damn good and complete kart racing game with varied tracks and numerous characters. I was happy with my purchase.

Then Nintendo kept investing in the game by paying testers, and programmers to balance the game for free. I was happy.

Then Nintendo kept investing in the game by paying artists, programmers, designers, musicians and testers to add new content to an already complete game I was happy with : new tracks, new karts, new characters, new music tracks, etc. They then came around and said : well look, we’ve added all this new content to the game, and we are charging a reasonable amount of money for that new content that was not part of the complete game we sold you last year. If you are interested, pay us so that we can pay our employees. I was happy, and I bought the new content that otherwise would have never seen the day if Nintendo would not have charged for it.

If you think you are not getting your money’s worth with the new content, then don’t buy it. If you think that the new content is unappealing to you, it’s OK. Don’t buy it. But don’t hold it against Nintendo they keep people working on a game after it launched to add new content in exchange of a reasonable amount of money. Or else, we could always go back to the N64 days where the game was released and the company moved on and never released patch, or add any content to it. The game was what it was on release day. Don’t expect improvements.

If Nintendo sells furniture packs at 7$ a piece, I am not interested because that’s not appealing to me. But if Nintendo keeps people working on New Horizons, and comes around next year with a meaty update ? la Welcome amiibo that adds new functionalities, you bet I’ll happily shell out muchos dineros for that new content.

Last edited:
As long as the DLC situation isn't as bad as it is with pocket camp, then I'll be happy with it -- the occasional expansion pack or similar. But if it gets too intense, I think they'd lose a lot of people including me.

i wouldnt mind if theres dlc, it just depends on the price & how often its released (aka dont go the sims 4 route pls nintendo). i never thought a game like animal crossing would need dlc because its kind of a play every day for a bit kinda game. like the mechanics of it push you towards playing for extended periods of time (like play the same island/town for 2 years or so kinda thing).

I agree with you (EA makes a lot of money because of it)
I hope the DLC won't be like pokemon SS because I think that the SS game was incomplete, at least for me.
we have already paid for amiibo (for me it is like a DLC), not everyone can pay all the time and we don't want to be frustrated because some people can pay the DLC and the others cannot.

I'm still eh on DLC as a concept for the most part. But I can see where it could be cool. So long as if there's paid dlc they also have free dlc along side it so poor players can still have new content.

I could see cheap furniture packs coming out with themes kind of like the Pocket Camp items. Furniture and clothing packs would probably be the only things I'm okay with. And only if they're like... reasonably cheap. Like I better get a LOT of stuff in the dlc packs if I'm spending extra money.

What I NEVER want to see in paid DLC packs:

-Highly requested features fans have asked for for years. "Want more villagers to live in your town like in Population Growing? More storage space systems? Places to store your Gyroid collection? 10 bucks a pop, please."

-Recolors of existing furniture. If I'm buying something with real money for this game it better well have new models, interactive features, or SOMETHING.

-New Villagers. Unless they're like game themed like Mario themed villagers, or other things like that. They break the immersion of the game for me so I'm kind of okay if they're optional. Plus I know how much money companies like to bleed out of crossover things.

-Villagers that appeared in older games but not newer games. Same with furniture or clothes.

I'm keeping a very judgmental eye on the concept of Animal Crossing DLC. I don't trust them that much after they managed to make Animal Crossing pay2win in pocket camp. They could very easily make people who don't want to or have the ability to shell out to get all the content feel like they're not the intended audience. A game like Animal Crossing just is not fun when you start seeing people gushing about awesome items you desperately want but have no access to. There's a reason I stopped playing Pocket Camp.

I'm keeping a very judgmental eye on the concept of Animal Crossing DLC. I don't trust them that much after they managed to make Animal Crossing pay2win in pocket camp. They could very easily make people who don't want to or have the ability to shell out to get all the content feel like they're not the intended audience. A game like Animal Crossing just is not fun when you start seeing people gushing about awesome items you desperately want but have no access to. There's a reason I stopped playing Pocket Camp.

Nicely put.

I also don't trust them because of the sheer greed in PC.

The cost of those leaf tickets is absurd.

I wouldn't want that kind of greed to infect a main AC game.

Anyway, I've preordered it, and am looking forward to it. Apart from a couple of features I wish weren't a part of it, the rest is looking good.

Back