• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details!

Did you play any sports?

Did you play any sports?

• American Football 🏈

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Baseball / Softball ⚾️🥎

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Ice Hockey / Field Hockey 🏒🥅

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Dancing / Gymnastics 🤸‍♂️

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Soccer ⚽️

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Martial Arts / Karate / Boxing 🥋🥊

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Basketball 🏀

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • Golf ⛳️

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Volleyball 🏐

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Other (let us know in the comments…)

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • I haven’t played any sports.

Votes: 19 32.8%
  • 😂😂

Votes: 9 15.5%

• Total voters

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
I’m wondering if anyone here played any sports currently or when they were younger? I played hockey for a very short time before I started traveling, and I would do so again. Although I think after my surgery contact sports are a no for me, so I don’t think I will be able to. I’ll just enjoy it from the bench, lmao. I am completely satisfied watching and playing the video games, though, so I think I’m good. I haven’t played any other sports.

I did do martial arts for about four years. I’ve stopped practicing a few years ago and I’m sort of rusty, but it has helped my confidence a whole lot. I’m thankful for what martial arts has done for me, but all good things must come to an end, I suppose.

Have you played any sports? If so, what position did you play, if that’s at all relevant? How long have you played and do you still currently play?

EDIT: Not sure how the laughing emoji became on the poll, lmao. I guess hit that if you hate sports. 😂🤪

Yes I have. Baseball to a Varsity college level, basketball and cross-country to a JV high school level, and soccer to a youth level. For the others listed, for fun, football, boxing, golf and volleyball. Plenty of others in there too, especially with intramurals in college.

yea, for fun at least! i rlly like swimming during the summer (i cant exactly swim properly tho i just go in the pool) and recently I've been doing basketball for fun, i couldn't actually do sports seriously on a sports team or anything tho

I played baseball my whole childhood and then once I became a teen I pretty much stopped playing sports.

ive played a lot of different sports just to try new things out, but i have more fun just playing to have fun than to compete in tournaments. the sports participated in longest and competitively are tennis, swimming, and lacrosse. all of them were a lot of fun. i would say lacrosse was my favorite because it was a ton of fun and i enjoyed my teammates, but i got a bruised a lot since i was the goalie so that part wasnt great lol. i love just tossing the ball around though!

when i was in 2nd grade i played basketball and in 3th-6th i played golf for my elementary/middle school, i haven't played any school sports since. i hated playing sports because my mom would sign me up for them and i would be the only girl there which sucked.

I played a variety of sports when I was younger. I only marked the organized sports in the poll and not the ones I did just for fun with friends and family.

I took ballet for about a year when I was around 5 years old, and tap dancing for another year when I was around 8. I played softball during my elementary school years. I was mostly stuck in the outfield because I was one of the few girls on the team that could throw the ball all the way to home plate from that far. In high school, I played volleyball as a setter/server.

I played tennis and badminton with my family on occasion and American football with my friends sometimes.

I'm not very coordinated and I wasn't great at any sport, but I still had a lot of fun. Martial arts was one that I always wanted to get into but never had the chance.

I played basketball, baseball, volleyball, tennis, and badminton growing up. I was never coordinated enough for soccer, and (probably in the same ballpark) I could only play floor hockey because I had issues ice skating (couldn't stop well enough).

I used to be a lifeguard so I guess you could throw swimming into the mix, but I never swam competitively.

- Softball and Basketball for a very short time

- I ticked Hockey because my older brother played ice hockey for a long time and would have me be goalie so he could practice shots on me. Not sure why I agreed to it. BUT in school whenever we played field hockey I loved it, I loved being defense

- Played tennis casually with the family

- Also I loved rollerblading around the neighborhood. One of the best memories

I only played sports as a child. I was chubby and my parents desperately wanted me to be a "normal" size so they put me in softball, basketball, gymnastics...I was terrible at everything. I'm just not coordinated and I have no depth perception because I'm blind in one eye. Later in life I found ways to be active without having balls thrown at me or having to interact with other people.

Swimming.
Golf.
Badminton.
Football.
Gymnastics.
And at school we did a lot of volleyball, basketball, and hockey, some dancing, among other things.
I haven't played any sports in over a decade though, I never really cared about it in the first place, although badminton, swimming, and hockey were fun, and I wish I had kept doing gymnastics.

When I was around 5 or 6 I did gymnastics for a year, I ended up quitting and moving on to dance which I've been doing since. I started volleyball when I was 9, but quit the team after a year, I then joined my middle school team for 2 years, but haven't played since. In 6th grade, I started cross country with my dad and have been running since.

It's been... quite a while since I last played sports. But I used to play football (not american football) almost on a daily basis for years, for 3 to 4 hours/day. I also trained Shotokan Karate and BJJ for some time, but my knees were already very damaged and I stopped.

Even when I wasn't playing any traditional sports, most of the fun I had when I was younger was somehow related to sports, one way or the other.

For example, there's a game here in Brazil that used to be very popular called Taco/Bats (depending on the region, the name changes) that is basically a simpler version of cricket, but mostly played on the streets. I played it regularly for some time. We also used to race using what we call rolimã (roh-lee-mahn) cars, which look like this and it's basically going downhill sitting on planks and defying death lol

images (11).jpeg

Edit: almost forgot to mention that I loved (still do) skateboarding but I was bad at it, so I just bombed downhill because it was just too much fun.

Marching Band counts as a sport-- let me explain.
It does have performing arts as its main element, but it does apply a LOT of physical work and we compete for points to win a competition and move on to semifinals, and finals for placements and captions.

It was really fun. Best way to go if your a magnet to soccer balls, footballs, baseballs, basketballs, etc. Only things you have to worry about is not drinking milk at band camp and watching out for Color Guard flags so you don't get smacked while marching. Comps and Football games are definitely the best part though, since you get to not only play for an audience and so many chaotic things happen behind the scenes that are just too good to miss out on.

I was a competitive swimmer in grade school. Won contests, competed in regionals, got asked to join the nationals team, etc. I declined going to the nationals though because I realized I hated swimming, I only did it because my parents forced me to lmao. I remember our training being really tough, we did like 2 km continuously as a warm-up and I would throw up sometimes because I was really dizzy just from warming up (40 tumbleturns....... eugh). Our old coach was really harsh too, he loved shouting at us if we weren’t doing good, and I mean shout like in a really angry way that made some of us actually break down. Idk it just wasn’t the most pleasant experience and I soon learned to hate competitive swimming. I love swimming as an exercise though.

Oh I also did competitive swimming in high school, but just interclass level. Won most of the categories except freestyle, haha. I was rusty by that time already but in hindsight everyone was (because school sucked and no one had much time for extracurriculars back then).

Other than that I don’t really regularly participate in sports anymore. I know how to play badminton and table tennis and I enjoy both, but I’m not really good at them haha. It’s just a fun pasttime when given the chance.

Reactions: Raz
I answered the poll with dancing, other and the 😂 emoji but only the laughter is justified
I "played" handball for like a year in 2nd grade extracurricularly and had to stop because I moved to a different city.
After that I entered a "beginner's breakdancing" class somewhere in 5th/6th grade but turned down the offer to move up to the intermediate class after a year because I was miserable in there and also because I checked out this trial lesson for a self-defense course in the same building with a classmate and realized I liked beating the crap out of some poor adult holding up a kick pad so much more than swinging my arms around like an idiot lol. I don't remember why I never ended up joining that class though, I think my mother didn't allow me to because she hates me having fun

But in any case I actually love dancing now. I've been following well-known dancers, choreographers and studios for years and I envy anyone who can dance. If I didn't have the athleticism of a turtle with arthritis I'd try it again. But I'm also interested in something like (kick)boxing because I can do that alone in my home and... that self-defense class awakened something lmao

Last edited:
You know, you might think "wow, this Kilza guy sure must love hockey if his title is hockey related and his island rep wears a hockey jersey in NH, surely he has played hockey as well", but in actuality, I have never played hockey. I never really learned how to skate, lmao, and the last time I tried to skate was when I was 8.

As for other sports, for the most part, the only time I've played them was during gym classes in school. So off the top of my head, the sports included soccer, basketball, volleyball, flag/touch football, softball, badminton, tennis, floor hockey and some track and field events. I've never played them competitively outside of school, though. The only sports I've done outside of school have been soccer (not on a team, just 1v1 with my sister), 9 holes of golf and 1-2 months of Taekwondo when I was 6 or so. I have enough raw athletic talent where I could've played something and done alright (not, like, well enough to ever be a pro or anything, but well enough to be in higher amateur tiers growing up), but I just preferred playing video games more in my spare time, lol.

Last edited:
I was a competitive swimmer as a kid all the way until the start of college. Then college work took over and basically made it very difficult to do both, but I still swim for exercise occasionally. My best was Breast stroke and I absolutely hated Backstroke out of the fear of hitting my head against the wall (happened quite a few times...)

Also was a Tennis and Table Tennis player, though those were both casually. And badminton too for a year I guess.

Back