• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Thanks for playing! The closing ceremony for TBT World Championship 2024 has been posted. Congratulations to the winning team, Squirtle Squad! Update: The Master Ball raffle winners have now been announced and rewards have been distributed. Time to spend your Arcade Tokens!

Dataminer finds the scoring systems used to achieve 5 stars in Animal Crossing: New Horizons

as I always say to you kind people who share information like this, thank you. I was also going to mention that someone posted a few days ago from the companion guide that they got and it had really nicely detailed information about how to achieve this as well. it looks like it's going to take so much work!

i found the process really tedious because of how the game decides what a 'messy' map is. needing to spread out your furniture and fencing actually made my island messier. :/

at the very least i wish they'd make it clearer in game that you need to spread out things on your map, because that's pretty counter intuitive to how most people map their islands (which is where there's a 'center' area with a lot of stuff and then smaller places outside of that area).

thank you for sharing! i am a bit confused about what they meant by ‘messy map’ - are they referring to item placements or the map layout itself?

I'm curious as to how the game defines a "very messy map", like what would it count? Are you not allowed to have to many paths in too many directions? Or are you not allowed to, like, use all 8 bridges on one river? That's a very vague statement for something that was datamined.

I'm curious as to how the game defines a "very messy map", like what would it count? Are you not allowed to have to many paths in too many directions? Or are you not allowed to, like, use all 8 bridges on one river? That's a very vague statement for something that was datamined.
It might be the same as the "clutter" metric mentioned in the companion guide.

Clutter
  • Clutter is gauged in the same 8x8 tile divisions as furniture
  • If 45/64 or more tiles are covered in the block, the block is considered cluttered
  • Buildings, bridges, buried items, rocks, cliffs, rivers and inclines will not count towards this

I got 5 stars from putting a good bit of fencing somewhere in each quarter of the map, as well as averaging 3-4 DIYs in each square on the map. I also scattered certain furnitures or gulliver items, and I'm unsure if they contribute.

I was stuck at 4 stars for ages until I got rid of a ton of my beautiful trees, which finally boosted me to 5. I like my island less with less trees though 💔

I really wanna get those lilie of the valley, but the metric is of course working against me :(

Back