• We're Celebrating Diversity on TBT! Join our new mini-event this month by making a 3D craft that represents what diversity and inclusivity mean to you. For your hard work, you'll receive a newly released villager collectible and the chance to win the latest addition to our plush series! See the Celebrating Diversity 2024 thread to get started.
  • Animal Crossing Hide & Seek sessions from The Bell Tree World Championship are coming back -- check out the new TBT Neighbourly Hide and Seek thread here for details! Look out for an Among Us session here too.

Smash Bros Are Amiibo worth the price?

RhinoK

Back for NH!
Bells
Winter Mittens
October Birthstone (Opal)
Orange Mote of Flame
August Birthstone (Peridot)
Waluigi Easter Egg
Astral Inner Planet Floating Gold #10
Cake
Gold Mailbox
Small Mailbox
Are you getting your moneys worth?
GAME has been ever so kind to bump the price of Amiibos up an extra ?5 (yay...) so I'm sort of put off buying one.
In my opinion, I think they look like more powerful CPUs. Is that all there is to them?

I don't think so.

I think they're very expensive in terms of what you're actually receiving. I mean, they're not very useful... nor do they bring a lot of new content to some games.

You can get 1 Hyrule Warriors DLC pack for half the price and that has more fun than what an Amiibo can bring.

Depends on what you're planning to do with them.

If you just want to get some free stuff in games like the MK8 costumes or the weapons/materials in Hyrule Warriors, they're not worth it.
If you're a very competitive person in Smash and you and your friends will be using your Amiibo figures during play sessions a lot, it eventually becomes worth it.

For me personally it's not worth it since I don't care to play things with friends like that, let alone with some figures. If I get any I'll just be using them for unlocks.

no they're not

the only thing you can do with them now is CPU for smash. Really not worth the price when that's all you can do.

I wish there was more to them but right now they're pretty meh.
I will say that they're great looking and fun to collect though.

If you just want to get some free stuff in games like the MK8 costumes or the weapons/materials in Hyrule Warriors, they're not worth it.
If you're a very competitive person in Smash and you and your friends will be using your Amiibo figures during play sessions a lot, it eventually becomes worth it.

For me personally it's not worth it since I don't care to play things with friends like that, let alone with some figures. If I get any I'll just be using them for unlocks.

well there's also the matter of if you're just wanting the figure to have the figure

which then I guess it'd depend on how much you value it on a personal level, so...

- - - Post Merge - - -

Another hate post and of course it's by the same person as before

the irony

well there's also the matter of if you're just wanting the figure to have the figure

which then I guess it'd depend on how much you value it on a personal level, so...
I'm not sure how many people would decide to collect them as figures. I assume there's a fair amount, but how much of the Amiibo audience consists of these people is unclear at this point. Personally I would like to try and get the full sets, but I'm a giant nerd. The off-putting thing is that the actual production has turned out to be kind of mid-range quality. It's not terrible, but it's also not as good as they advertised during E3.

But even then I find the price a bit ridiculous. Here it's 16 EUR (19~20 USD) for a relatively small figure, likely just marked up because of the chip inside. I love Nintendo and their gimmicks, but surely when something is going to be produced on that scale they can knock the price down a bit.

Only you can decide that. Amiibos run for $12.99 USD I believe. I got myself a Kirby amiibo and I'm loving it. I personally think it's worth the thirteen bucks and that's because I use it all the time. If you're just going to level it up to fifty and be done with it, it's not worth it.

I wouldn't say I'm competitive, but I'm not casual. I don't have friends round to play mostly because I don't know anyone irl who bothers with Smash. If the price of them goes down I'll consider buying one, but even though I don't think I'd bother.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I don't think so.

I think they're very expensive in terms of what you're actually receiving. I mean, they're not very useful... nor do they bring a lot of new content to some games.

I thought they were expensive, I'm surprised they're priced so high. With the price of two of them I could buy a new game.

You can get 1 Hyrule Warriors DLC pack for half the price and that has more fun than what an Amiibo can bring.

Good point (although I have no intention of buying Hyrule Warriors.) Mario Kart 8's DLC is cheaper too and that offers 16 tracks, 6 racers and more car parts. More content imo.

no they're not

the only thing you can do with them now is CPU for smash. Really not worth the price when that's all you can do.

I was thinking that but despite this they're selling well (sales don't really matter but still) and people seem to enjoy them, but I was curious to hear people's views.

I am so confused.

I would say yes, but it depends on which one you get. I have 5, but for most people I would say 1-2 is enough. Most of them I just can't see much use for them beyond Smash Bros, but as said there's Mario Kart costumes which are cool if you want to use your Mii to race with, otherwise in MK8 they're useless. Hyrule Warriors, they give the same 3 different Spinner weapons over and over but you can sell them and rebuild them to make them stronger and get rupees, they also give random crafting stuff or 1 Rupee. For Smash, aside from the battling aspect, they are collecting you money, badges, costumes and trophies. I'm glad I can send them off on their own battles even if it's terrible that the game basically plays itself, and since collecting coins in 1P mode seems to go by slowly.
If you buy Link or Yoshi I'd say those two are poised to be the most useful at this point. Mario is probably also going to become very useful at some point, because it's Mario? But ones like Lucario, Wii Fit Trainer, Cpt Falcon, etc are probably going to be "useless" for a while if not forever. Opinions of course, but I just don't see a use for some and I can't see that they'll utilize all of them that much. But it's barely been a few weeks since their launch, they're only at this point supporting so many games for them, but who knows what the future could hold for them. In the long run it could be very much so worth it. Not to mention there's rumors they've already discontinued Marth, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. They never mentioned a Wii Fit U update for the amiibo but the other 2 could have easily been useful for future WiiU games, so who knows what those lucky ones could end up unlocking with their specials. Pointless to some but neat for others.
But I sure wouldn't over pay for one. I wanted the Villager but I'm not going on eBay and buying it for $2000 because it's discontinued. MSRP is the highest.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Someone on another thread of mine called it physical DLC. Or a physical "key" for DLC.
Also if you're not into Hyrule Warriors that shaves off a game they support, despite the Amiibo support for that seems tacked on.

tl;dr for what the games even do now.

Hyrule Warriors = same weapon over and over + some supplies + 1 rupee prize
Mario Kart = only useful if you're going to race as a Mii for the costumes
Smash Bros = coin & badge collector basically unless you like fighting the CPU really hard.

The final result an eye pleasing trophy is always there too. I know I've bought more expensive Nintendo crap that's done less for me than the Amiibo, so that's always another reason to just get 1.

I have Villager, a rare figure, so I'm not too upset over getting him. I got mine without having to preorder it on release date, lol.

Anyway, I'd say only get them if you're using them for Smash (they're helpful for getting custom moves and such). Either that or wait for another amiibo game to come out. For reference, I have Villager, Link, and Yoshi. I don't plan on getting them all, nor do I think non-collectors should.

Yea...How dare somebody say they're not worth the price on a thread asking if you think they're worth the price. The nerve of some people, right!?

But yea, I'm unsure whether I think they're worth the price.

As figures they're pretty good quality and I don't mind them being used 'for display'. They look nice next to my Disney Infinity figures since they're of similar quality.

Functionally, no, they're not worth it for what they currently do. A random already obtainable item in Hyrule Warriors, some of them give you one costume in Mario Kart 8 and an AI of questionable quality in Smash that I likely won't even use (would I rather battle my friends Amiibo's or battle my friends? It's a no brainer).
It really feels like their function in Smash should have been something you can do in the game by default.

Maybe they'll be better implemented in future games, but we don't know that yet. As it stands though, I feel that ?10-?13 for them isn't really worth it for what they do, especially when I have the Disney things to compare them to which cost pretty much the same and (in my opinion) do a lot more.

Last edited:
I haven't gotten one yet, but I would say it's worth the price. They look pretty fun to use at home, and I hear a Fox amiibo actually beat someone at a tournament!

Its a shame they are expensive for their function. I heard the prices are going up but JasonBurrows said to me they are withdrawing 3 amiibos, villager and 2 others. I would like a couple as I think they look quite detailed ((never actually looked at one close up though)).

they aren't really expensive though... lol.

It depends on how much people earn. Plus it's expensive considering one is half the price of a new video game. Also there are millions that cannot afford ?15 soooo

I haven't gotten one yet, but I would say it's worth the price. They look pretty fun to use at home, and I hear a Fox amiibo actually beat someone at a tournament!

It almost won the tournament, I think it came third place :p

I hear a Fox amiibo actually beat someone at a tournament!

I'm really skeptical about that. The news of it happening seemed to appear and disappear really quickly and I never saw any actual evidence that it even actually happened. You would think there would have been at least one bad quality mobile phone video uploaded of it (if there was, I haven't seen it anywhere)
I just think if it was real, it would have been talked about for longer than it was at the very least...

Well, yea, ?12-15 isn't really that much initially...

When you take into account what they actually do and how much you're going to get out of them (which at the moment is VERY debatable), for the price of 2 Amiibo you can get a brand new 3DS game which will give you (on average) at least 40 hours of play discounting replay value.

Considering games like Pokemon X, Fantasy Life or Animal Crossing have gotten hundreds of hours of play out of me for the price of 2 Amiibo, whilst my Amiibo are already gathering dust...I dunno...They're expensive for what they do.

Back