• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Your most interesting experience with an old game

QueenCobra

Gutted, rotted, Gila monster, BEAST!
Bells
Has anything interesting happened after returning to an old game?

After several years, I returned to playing Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. I could have sworn I was stuck on Mom Pirahna and that’s where I left off…actually, I was on the final boss! 😅 I suppose I was better at this game than I thought! That being said, it’s still tough. But I think I’m up to the challenge.

This isn't a crazy old game but I randomly got the urge to finish off my Pokedex in ORAS. I opened up my game to find that I already did at some point. I genuinely don't remember doing so lololol

I recently found my old Nintendo DSi flash card with loads of my favorite games on it. Tried playing Pony Friends again(which I spent untold hours on) and I hated it with all my heart LOL I don't understand what I was getting into such flat and bland gameplay. Then I found a game that I loved before and still love after trying it again... it's really great(not only for children). It's this:

51r8YdbF5sL._AC_.jpg

The cover is really misunderstood, actually the game is in manga style and it's really adorable and colorful:

MasterChefInline_1194629422.jpg

Years ago, I put in Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for the first time in over a decade and found that I had written a memo for my future self in the calendar. It was very emotional and extremely surreal. I don't even remember what it said.

Years ago, I put in Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for the first time in over a decade and found that I had written a memo for my future self in the calendar. It was very emotional and extremely surreal. I don't even remember what it said.
OMG I just remembered that for Christmas one year my parents bought a huge lot of Nintendo games for me and my brother and the only one we never played was Mario Bros Deluxe! I thought it looked so pretty but we never knew how to use it, we always thought it could play on the DS like gameboy color(?) games could.
1677945716115.png

OMG I just remembered that for Christmas one year my parents bought a huge lot of Nintendo games for me and my brother and the only one we never played was Mario Bros Deluxe! I thought it looked so pretty but we never knew how to use it, we always thought it could play on the DS like gameboy color(?) games could.
View attachment 485783
It's only Game Boy Advance games that could be played on the original DS. Game Boy Color cartridges (as in the SMB Deluxe cartridge above) wouldn't even fit into the slot without some strenuous fidgeting that is probably neither good for your game or system. It's unfortunate since the Game Boy Advance itself was backwards compatible with both Game Boy Color and original Game Boy, so it would have been nice if Nintendo had worked a little harder to carry that over to the DS as well.

I went back and replayed Kingdom Hearts 1 and I am just shocked that I beat the game so well. My younger self had trouble beating it because it was so hard but my brother beat it for me. I just felt the urge to see if I can beat it myself and I even surprised myself beating it. Of course there were fights that gave me a hard time (I'm looking at you Dragon Malifecent) but, overall I still enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 1. It was the game made me love RPGs even more and I really enjoyed it more as an adult than I when I was a kid.

I don't have any specific examples...but, there are definitely games that I will return to after a long absence, and I will dread returning to some "impossible" segment, only to beat whatever the thing was in two seconds and feel foolish for ever having stopped. - This has happened way more times than I'd like to admit. Lol

Not sure how interesting this is but one of the last things my LOZ Oracle of Seasons cartridge did before dying was bring up a rather ominous text box, something along the lines of "The hour has come!". Pretty sure I was just walking on a beach or something, so I'm not sure how that happened. I later looked through an online text dump of the game and decided the text had something to do with a cutscene where Ganon is summoned (???). I never got that far in the game.

I went into my Pokemon Platinum file that I had from high school, and I found sooooo many hacked Pokemon. Shiny Pokemon in Cherish Balls, tons of shinies in Master Balls, and just so much stuff that was clearly hacked (Mew caught on route 201, really?)... funny stuff.

Not so much interesting as just funny. I bought this one game either pre-owned or at a yardsale. It's called Jetforce Gemini and made by Rare. There was a save file already on the game possibly from the previous owner. I decided to play it to see where they were. If they were at the end of the final boss fight ect.

I'm not sure where they were, but it was a very gray and depressing like hi-tech base/cave. I went all around trying to figure out where I was supposed to go and gave up because I couldn't figure it out. I figured if I played from the very start and got there, I should be able to understand what to do.

I finally did get to that point in the game and guess what? I couldn't figure out what to do and gave up. I'm guessing the previous owner had the same line of thought and sold the game to me.

Back