• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Your GotY

Fraxxo

Country boy
Bells
Switch
2883-5414-9018
Sorry for my bad english; as many of you may notice, I am not an english native speaker.
This is a simple thread, please show respect for everyone's opinion.

What's your personal game of the year for the past ones?
I'd like to see what y'all will decide.
You do not need to choose a famous or loved game, you can just put in the list the game you enjoyed the most in a particoular year, based on your feelings and experience. I, for example, did not played many 2011 games, because back then I was just a kid, so I'll choose Pokémon SoulSilver for that particoular year, even if I'm convinced there are many other better games out there.

If you want to share your opinion on those games and explain why you chose them, you are welcome!

Here's my list. I decided to put games wich came out in different years based on different countries in the year they were released in my country (Europe).
2010: Pokémon SoulSilver Version (Nintendo DS)
This game was my first Pokémon game ever, and I still love it. Even if nowadays I do not enjoy mainline Pokémon games as much as when I was a kid, I still like to play this version. I even have my PokéWalker perfectly functioning.
2011: Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo 3DS)
One of my favourite Nintendo games ever, I remember my cousin playing it on his original 3DS back in 2011, and I loved playing it when I got my 3DS one or two years later. It is such a simple 3D platform, still everything about it just give me joy, from the colours to the 3D models.
2012: //
There's no particoular game wich came to my mind about 2012. Surely there are New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Pokémon Black 2 and White 2, but those didn't really lived to my expectations and I don't think they are at other games level, so I'll leave this blank.
2013: Animal Crossing New Leaf + welcome amiibo (Nintendo 3DS)
Probably my favourite 3DS game,it was my first serious introduction to the series after I played Wild World every once in a while as a little kid. I could write about this game for hours, but I'll just say it is fantastic and my favourite game in the AC series.
2014: //
The same as 2012, I could choose Pokémon Alpha Sapphire or Kirby Triple Deluxe but I do not think those are just as spectacular as other games here.
2015: //
It is strange but I literally played not a single games from 2015. Yep, that's it. I love to death Xenoblade Chronicles X, Pokkén Tournament and Splatoon, but still, I played them for a really short amount of time on one of my friend's Wii U. So I won't choose them since I haven't (sadly) played them.
2016: Pokémon Sun (Nintendo 3DS)
I haven't played much from 2016 either, but Pokémon Sun and Moon are games I really like, maybe my favourite Pokémon games ever. I remember waiting and speculating on them during summer with my best friends back then, it was so much fun. We played the game togheter and we enjoyed it, really. Plus, it was probably the last Pokémon game I enjoyed as a full-Pokémon fan, since after 2016 I started playing the games less and less and I never experienced the same hype after. I did not even bought all the games wich came after, playing UltraMoon for the first time in 2019 and Shield late last year.
2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch)
This was such a difficoult choice. My favourite game ever is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, because I remember the 11-years-old kid me trying to buy a Wii U just for Mario Kart 8 just to fail, and then in 2017 the Switch came out and they announced the Deluxe version. I was SO HAPPY, I still play the game to these days and I find it a fantastic game. There's Xenoblade Chronicles 2 too, and I'd like to mention Splatoon 2, but I think Breath of the Wild hold a special place in my heart since I remember the whole world talking about it during the Switch launch year. A fantastic game, and even if I think it has some major flaws, I love to play it, it is fantastic and it also was my second Switch game ever.
Persona 5 is a solid game too, but it just doesn't live up to BotW for me.
2018: //
2018 was the year I did not played videogames at all. For me it was a particoular year and I do not think any games could have make it better. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a nice game but I do not fully enjoy fighting games because they aren't my genre, so I'll leave this blank.
2019: //
Sadly the same can be said about 2019. It was a particoular year and even if Fire Emblem Three Houses came out, I still have to finish the game and I did not enjoyed any other 2019 game, mostly because... I did not bought them. I would like to purchase Super Mario Maker 2 this year.
2020: Animal Crossing New Horizons (Nintendo Switch)
This is probably one of my favourite games ever. I love it so much and it is just one of the niecest games on the console, I can enjoy it the way I like and many of my friends play it. It was my game during quarantine (with Persona 5) and I still love it, even if New Leaf is still the best AC, for me. aside from this... 2020 wasn't really the year. Persona 5 Royal cames out and I like it really much, it's a close second place for me, but it's basically a definitive edition of a game wich came out 3 years before and I didn't really tought it was necesarry, I think it is still a little forced, in particoular the new arc. Still a great game.

And so that's it! As you can see I basically only chose Nintendo games, but I play on PlayStation too, in fact I mentioned some games from PS4.
The last years were for me kinda bad if we talk about videogames, with 2017 being the most beautiful one, and I hope 2021 will be good too.
I'd really like to see something like BotW2, a new Mario or even a new Xenoblade. We'll see.

i never really thought about this tbh, so i'll just do a few ☆

2017: legend of zelda: breath of the wild obviously aha, it's the best game ever and if i start talking about it i won't stop ♡

2018: yo-kai watch 3, this game was so lit, i absolutely loved every part of it

2019: i don't think i actually bought any new games that year

2020: hyrule warriors: age of calamity, so acnh was great and i got a lot of playtime out of it
HOWEVER age of calamity had an incredible story, beautiful music and sooo many playable characters
also acnh doesn't have revali lol

so there is my small list ☆

I’ll make mine starting with 2005. I started gaming a bit late for someone my age and didn’t get my first console until 2006. I’m starting with games from 2005 though as most games I got in 2006 actually released back in 2005. I’ve also played several games older than that (around mid 1990’s) but they were more sparse. Though I will at least mention Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War that released in 1996 on the Super Famicom (SNES) it’s my favourite game of my favourite series and possibly one of my fave games of all time.

Pokémon Emerald (GBA)
Probably one of the most important games to me of all. It’s where gaming started for me and the only reason I even got a DS Lite (my first console which is backwards compatible with GBA). I saw kids on the schoolyard playing Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen together and I really wanted to join them. I only got Emerald cause I was a total noob and just asked a random classmate which version I should get since I didn’t know what the differences were. Pokémon quickly became my favourite series after that and I’ve played all games in the series since. I have fond memories of Emerald back before internet was mainstream and most people relied on guides. I had neither so I played 100% blind. I’m not a huge fan of the series nowadays but I still play and enjoy the newer games even though they aren’t as good anymore. I personally found gen 3 and 4 games were the best of the series for me.
Wii Sports (Wii)
I’m not a big sports fan but this game was fun for everyone of all ages. I had gotten a Wii on Christmas in 2006 (my second console and first home console). I specifically remember this being the only game that my whole family truly enjoyed playing together as my parents weren't really gamers. My Dad would also play Mario Kart Wii with me from time to time as he always liked racing, but once I got a lot better than he was he lost interest. We could always break out Wii Sports for a round of bowling and sometimes golf though.
Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
I didn't get this until several years well after it released but I remember it being a ton of fun. I never was very good at Mario games, but Galaxy had just about the right difficulty for me it was frustrating in a couple places but with enough patience I eventually got passed the tough spots. I also love the space theme and Rosalina is one of my fave Mario characters.
Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
As mentioned earlier in this list I have fond memories of playing this one with my Dad even if things started to fall off for him overtime as I got better at the game. Mario Kart Wii is also notable for me as I learned how to play with motion controls thanks to it. I had no idea you could use stick controls instead so I struggled through with the motion. I actually got really good at it and to this day have yet to know someone who plays Mario Kart with motion controls on. I also play 8 Deluxe with motion controls and most people don't understand how (especially after I beat them in a race haha).
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon (DS)
2009 wasn't a very notable year for me and the only game I really remember playing that came out that year was Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon. I didn't play it until several years later on Wii U virtual console though. It's far from my favourite game in the series but I still really enjoyed it and it was nice to experience the original Fire Emblem story (it's a remake of the very first game that released on the Famicom (NES) back in 1990.
Pokemon SoulSilver (DS)
Pokemon SoulSilver is probably my favourite Pokemon game. Emerald is close in the running as well but it has major nostalgia reasons so that aside SoulSilver probably just edges it out. I loved being able to experience both Kanto and Johto in the game and the pokemon following you mechanic was really well done. It's a shame that mechanic has only sort of made a return.
Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
2011 was again another not very notable year but Mario Kart 7 marked my return to the series after a long break and it reminded me just how much I still loved the silly racing game. Pokemon Black and White also came out this year but I was never a huge fan of gen 5 so that's why I give 2011 to Mario Kart instead. I enjoyed Black and White but it just didn't click with me like the older games did.
Pokemon Black 2 (DS)
I know what I said above and it's still weird that this came out on the DS at this point, but this is really the only game I've played from 2012. I liked it better than how Game Freak used to do a third version of their games though. They actually changed enough from the original games to make me buy this one as well. I think I actually prefer the first game more personally but I still appreciate what they did with the sequel.
Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS)
Hoo boy this year was a tough one. Animal Crossing New Leaf came out of course and despite being a fan since the Wild World days this is the first time I was so dedicated that I played it daily for at least a few years. It was the first game I was able to play online with others (I didn't have wifi or even decent internet back in the Wild World and City Folk days). Pokemon X and Y also released and despite a lot of people not liking them I loved those games especially after not caring much for the gen 5 games. Pokemon X was also the first game where I completed the Pokedex as well as a living dex that I've been bringing up to the newer games since. Though in the end I gotta give 2013 to Fire Emblem Awakening. It got me into what is now my all time favourite series. I remember seeing a friend playing Fire Emblem Fates shortly after came out in early 2016 and I found it interesting despite combat related games not really being my thing. Shortly after I stopped by the local used game store and they have a used copy of Awakening for a good price. Since I was unsure if I'd even like the series I figured this was the best way for me to give it a try. Safe to say I loved the game to death and have been playing the entire series since. I now notice a ton of flaws the game has but it still has a special place in my heart especially when it comes to the characters.
Mario Kart 8 (Wii U)
Today I much prefer the Deluxe version on Switch, but the year it came out is going to be beat out by another game, plus I did play the original on Wii U a ton. It was also the game that made me get a Wii U in the first place. Sure looking back now the Wii U was very lacklustre due to lack of sales but I still had a ton of fun with it in the couple of years I had one before the Switch was a thing. Plus there was a pretty notable game (you'll see in my 2015 spoiler below) that basically made the Wii U worth it to me even today. I no longer own the Wii U version of the game but I was super hype for it's release and was pretty bummed I couldn't get a Wii U until the following year after release.
Splatoon (Wii U)
As mentioned above in my 2014 spoiler this game was a pretty big deal for me. I remember seeing it announced and thinking "wow this looks really cool and the music is amazing, but eh I don't like shooters so it's an easy pass." Boy was I wrong haha. I kept seeing it pop up from time to time and I finally noticed that they ran limited time demos for the game and that there was only one more left before launch. So I figured why not at least try it out? Right from my first match I was hooked. I went from "this game looks cool but I probably won't like it" to "OMG I have to get this game on release!!!!" The rest is history. I still boot up this game from time to time today even if the sequel is vastly superior. I know not many people played the original compared to those who've played the sequel, but I'm a proud OG Splatoon fan.
Pokemon Go (Mobile Devices)
I know this is a mobile game and some may argue it doesn't belong on a list like this, but it's by far the most notable game from 2016 for me. I didn't play it much around launch as I had hardly any mobile data and being a college student at the time I couldn't really afford to get a more expensive phone plan. I mostly played it in little spurts here and there, but starting in 2018 I started playing it on a regular basis as I was able to afford a new phone and much better data plan. I've met several great people in my local town thanks to Pokemon Go. I've struggled with having local friends since most I knew growing up have moved on to bigger and "better" places, so Pokemon Go helped me make new connections with people I otherwise would have never gotten to know. We often plan raid battles together as well as trades. My favourite part is just going out for a walk in the park and randomly running into someone from our little group.
Splatoon 2 (Wii U)
This was by far the game I've had the most hype for leading up to release in my entire life. I felt like a little kid on Christmas despite being an adult haha. The first time it was even teased (I think it was during the announcement of the Switch itself) I could tell it was a Splatoon sequel even though I had only seen the tops of the new buildings and the beginning of one of the new songs. My hype was through the roof. I still remember I had to work the night shift when it released. My shift was 7:30pm to 7:30am and the game had released at 12:00am. The whole shift I fantasized about the game with several of the songs playing in my head throughout the night. I went to bed at 8:00am with the hopes of playing the game once I woke up. I had ordered the game from Walmart since they had an E3 sale deal so I was hoping it would be in the mail once I woke up. Thankfully once I had awoken at about 1:30pm the mail had come and to my delight Splatoon 2 along with one of the Amiibo was in my mailbox. I started playing the game asap even though I was still super groggy from the nightshift. I had ordered the other two amiibo as well but they didn't fit in the mailbox so I had to go to town later to pick them from from the post office once I was more awake. I really do love this game a ton even if I don't play it as much as I used to. I've definitely played it a lot more than the original.
Pokemon Let's Go Eevee (Switch)
I felt pretty "meh" about this game but 2018 didn't really bring anything all that exciting for me. I still had fun playing this game and liked the change up with having a hybrid of the Pokemon Go catching mechanics I suppose. Doing the Kanto region/story over again made it kind of boring though at the same time.
Fire Emblem Three Houses (Switch)
Pokemon Sword and Shield was the only other notable game that released in 2019 for me but it was just ok. I still enjoy the newer Pokemon games but they definitely aren't what they used to be. So 2019 easily goes to Fire Emblem Three Houses. It's not my favourite game in the series (unlike most) but it's probably in my top 5. I've spent several hundred hours in this game and I've even been replaying it a bunch this year. It was definitely my top played game in 2019.
Animal Crossing New Horizons (Switch)
2020 didn't really see many releases due to a certain global problem that's still ongoing, but we did get Animal Crossing New Horizons. I know it's been getting a lot of hate but I've been really enjoying it and hope that the new content we get this year will help fix some of the problems with the game. I've gone full blown into a theme for this game and it's really been a blast to make characters and design little areas based on the theme. Previous games where much more limiting when it came to those kind of things.

The biggest years for me were definitely 2013 and 2017.

Looking ahead to 2021 I'm looking forward to the release of Story of Seasons Pioneers of Olive Town as well as Rune Factory 5. It's looking like releases will be a bit sparse again this year, but I'm ok with that as I have lots of older games I can play anyways. Hard to say what my 2021 game of the year will be but only time will tell.

Last edited:

Your list is soooo good.
I like every game you mentioned and I was tempted to choose Fire Emblem Awakening and Three Houses as well (but while I decided New Leaf for 2013, I decided to not post anything for 2019 cuz it was such a bad year and not even Three Houses was enjoyable for me because of that).
I remember playing Awekning with friends like mad back in the days, it was one of my favourite 3DS titles.

2014: Mario Kart 8
- This game was my JAM. I am a massive Mario Kart fan, and I consider this one the best in the series. The driving has never been more accurate and the introduction of DLC characters from other games like Villager and Link was a brilliant move. Deluxe on Switch only made things better with a better battle mode, and improvements on the roster that I think made it one of the best.

2015: Splatoon
- Not gonna lie, I was not impressed when I saw this game. It did not look that interesting to me and I was not convinced I would like it. That all changed though, when I visited my local EB Games and noticed a demo of the game was available. It was just the training section from the actual game, but I don't think a demo ever got me so hooked on something. As someone who really really does not like shooter games, Splatoon's brilliant squid mechanics really won me over.

2016: Fire Emblem Fates
- This was another game that I did not care for when first announced. I loved Awakening, but I was not sure if I would really be into the next iteration. However, once again, this game really won me over; in fact, I bought all three versions and had no regrets whatsoever. I know many fans did not like the changes that were introduced, but I loved everything about it. The fact that they were able to create a premise that was in all three versions, but that had vastly different outcomes, really sold me on the games. Also, Azura became by far one of my favourite characters out of the Fire Emblem series (I was kind of salty that Corrin got the spot in Fire Emblem Fates over Azura, who in my opinion was way more original).

2017: The Legend of Zelda - Breath of the Wild
- Favourite game of all time by far. I don't think there's much I could say about this game that hasn't been said, other then the fact that it truly mastered the formula for non-linear open-world genre. Beautiful scenery, great combat and even though the story was broken into bits and pieces, I liked the twist they put in with all the newer technology and Guardians. The game was stuffed with content, and I had to double-dip for the Wii U and Switch version; it was just that good.

- I have to give an honourable mention to Super Mario Odyssey, since that game really got me back into the Mario series, and demonstrated that 2017 really was Nintendo's year.

2018: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- 2018 was pretty dry for gaming (for me, at least), not to mention that Fortnite was running amuck and was the only thing people were talking about. Luckily, Nintendo pulled through with Smash Ultimate, which I consider the best in the franchise. Everything was much more fast-paced this time around, and even though I don't play often on my own, it's a stellar fighting game (and the only fighting game I will play).

2019: Dragon Quest 11: Definite Edition S (Not writing that whole name, sorry)
- I still have not finished this game, but unfortunately it was the game I played that came out that year; the rest were from the year before. I really think they do a good job though; the music, the combat, the voice acting, I love it all. It is a little grindy, but still enjoyable.

2020: Animal Crossing - New Horizons
I LOVE this game. It really saved 2020 for me. I don't know what I would've done without this game; 920+ hours later, and I'm still loving every second of it. I don't think I have ever been so invested in Animal Crossing, since in New Leaf my towns would not last a couple of months before losing interest and wanting to restart. Love the terraforming, love the quality-of-life changes made, love how much easier it is to get villagers I like, and basically almost everything else. Can't way for the updates we'll get in the future, and I know many users on the forums miss stuff from previous games, but I'm more looking forward to the newer stuff we might get!

Back