• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Will you be purchasing Happy Home Paradise?

Will you be buying paid DLC?

• Yes!

Votes: 447 81.7%
  • Not for me

Votes: 24 4.4%
  • Unsure

Votes: 76 13.9%

• Total voters
Not the 5th, because there's already a lot do just with the update, but probably by December/January :D

gonna slowly enjoy the free content then later buy and slowly enjoy the paid content too much stuff in both to enjoy together plus makes the game last even longer

yeah, though it being paid dlc is kinda my only complaint for this update

not because of it costing money specifically, but because the design tricks gained from it could only be used for x switch profile the dlc is tied under. meaning unless I set up multiple eshop accounts to buy this dlc 8 times, I could only do the additional decor options with one of my character's homes. unless they give us a way to remodel other resident players homes like we'll get to do with our non-human neighbors homes
Are you sure you'll need to buy it separately for every individual profile on the island? The expansions for other games, like BotW and Splatoon 2, were accessible for all profiles on my switch despite only purchasing it once. All the content related to the Nintendo Online subscription is accessible for all the profiles on the plan too.

Are you sure you'll need to buy it separately for every individual profile on the island? The expansions for other games, like BotW and Splatoon 2, were accessible for all profiles on my switch despite only purchasing it once. All the content related to the Nintendo Online subscription is accessible for all the profiles on the plan too.
I guess we'll find out, but all my other paid dlc staff has been tied to a profile-by-profile basis, from what I remember. still, good if I'll only have to purchase once

but also, and idk if it makes a difference, but only 2 of them are actually connected to a nintendo account. with one of them being connected to the japanese eshop

ofc if this is still per-account, then uh..... how about we just rerelease the physical copy of nh with hhp bundled onto the cart, in addition to the standard dlc and nintendo online+ subscription bundle releases, nintendo?

Last edited:
yeah, though it being paid dlc is kinda my only complaint for this update

not because of it costing money specifically, but because the design tricks gained from it could only be used for x switch profile the dlc is tied under. meaning unless I set up multiple eshop accounts to buy this dlc 8 times, I could only do the additional decor options with one of my character's homes. unless they give us a way to remodel other resident players homes like we'll get to do with our non-human neighbors homes
I don't know that this is true. It crossed my mind as well. Then I realized I only have one digital copy of ACNH for my main account and all the other accounts on my Switch can play it without owning it. I'm assuming it'll be the same thing!

I always figured nh digital was like that just because of how the island is tied to a per-system basis as opposed to per-account

but also, I don't really digital, so I don't have much a comparison to go off of here

I don't know that this is true. It crossed my mind as well. Then I realized I only have one digital copy of ACNH for my main account and all the other accounts on my Switch can play it without owning it. I'm assuming it'll be the same thing!
I wish we had some clarity on if it would work for all profiles or just the main one. I can play my physical copy with both profiles but only my main rep can go online and play with others. I would need to buy another subscription or get the family plan for my other profile to go online. So I assumed the DLC would work the same way.

though also, I'll admit I'm skeptical about being able to purchase once to get for all residents because of the online+ subscription bundle too

like maybe it's just me, but that feels very much like nintendo's way of saying "here, a discount. just pay us for this upgraded family plan to rent the service out for your alts and you're good"

would be nice if they gave more info tbh

Yes! I first, I did not care about it at all (I personally didn't care about the original HHD), but when they mentioned that you'd be able to do stuff on your main island with it (i.e. use those features in your home and decorate your villagers homes), I was instantly sold.

I loved HHD, so this is definitely a yes from me. This is definitely part of what I needed to come back. Idk if I will be able to get it when it comes out; might have to wait until xmas since i don’t have a job or money.

I guess we'll find out, but all my other paid dlc staff has been tied to a profile-by-profile basis, from what I remember. still, good if I'll only have to purchase once

but also, and idk if it makes a difference, but only 2 of them are actually connected to a nintendo account. with one of them being connected to the japanese eshop

ofc if this is still per-account, then uh..... how about we just rerelease the physical copy of nh with hhp bundled onto the cart, in addition to the standard dlc and nintendo online+ subscription bundle releases, nintendo?
Dang. Well, I sure hope it's shared. I just realized that everyone's accounts on my switch is on the family plan. Would that make the difference? I kind of want to make a bunk account to test now. 😖

i really liked happy home designer so definitely yes for me....more animal crossing content always makes me happy and always drags me back from wherever i am (in ffxiv, where ive been since february,,,, ac dlc dropping on 11/5 followed by enw early access on 11/19 too MUCH 😭) im not gonna get it thru nso tho, would much rather own it forever than just rent it until i forget my subscription or somethin

I think I'm going to wait and see what other's think of it before I buy it. Gotta make sure it's worth it which I hope it will be.

Dang. Well, I sure hope it's shared. I just realized that everyone's accounts on my switch is on the family plan. Would that make the difference? I kind of want to make a bunk account to test now. 😖
well if al the accounts are on the family plan, at least in your case you can just bump up to the new upgraded plan to get access for all

(tbf, I could too, but the extra cost aside, not all the accounts on the plan are on my system. since I have some actual family members using it too)

The standalone DLC is shared. All accounts on a single Switch will be able to access it. They don't have to individually buy it. It doesn't matter if anyone has online accounts or not.

Getting the DLC through Nintendo Switch Online Expanded is not shared. Each account that wants to access it needs to have Nintendo Switch Online Expanded. It doesn't matter if they are paying individually or if you are paying through the family plan. Getting the DLC this way is also ultimately a rental. You don't get to keep it if your online subscription expires.

Those source images are not mine. This person on Reddit contacted Nintendo's customer service to ask this.

The standalone DLC is shared. All accounts on a single Switch will be able to access it. They don't have to individually buy it. It doesn't matter if anyone has online accounts or not.

Getting the DLC through Nintendo Switch Online Expanded is not shared. Each account that wants to access it needs to have Nintendo Switch Online Expanded. It doesn't matter if they are paying individually or if you are paying through the family plan. Getting the DLC this way is also ultimately a rental. You don't get to keep it if your online subscription expires.

Those source images are not mine. This person on Reddit contacted Nintendo's customer service to ask this.
Thank you for explaining this. I do have one question. You said everyone on one switch will have access to it. What if I have two switches. The same profile is on both switches. If I buy the DLC with that profile on my first switch can I download it on my second switch or will I need to buy a second DLC for the second switch.

Thank you for explaining this. I do have one question. You said everyone on one switch will have access to it. What if I have two switches. The same profile is on both switches. If I buy the DLC with that profile on my first switch can I download it on my second switch or will I need to buy a second DLC for the second switch.

The details of that are in the first image, but to sum it up, it sounds like the account that purchases the DLC can use it no matter which Switch they use. All other accounts can only use the DLC on the Switch that is set as the DLC buyer's Primary Console.

Gonna make some stuff up as an example to demonstrate in case anyone needs the help: Let's say I am the buyer of a DLC and I have 2 Switches. One Switch is has red/blue joycons, one is the special edition AC Switch. If I set red/blue Switch as my primary console, I can play it and so can all other accounts on the red/blue Switch. The AC Switch is not set as my primary console, but because I bought the DLC, I can play it on there. No other accounts on the AC Switch can play it except me.

Only to get the new house arranging stuff for my island. Hoping the limit is low (like under 10) to unlock it because otherwise I'll likely just blitz through low effort designing until it unlocks.

The details of that are in the first image, but to sum it up, it sounds like the account that purchases the DLC can use it no matter which Switch they use. All other accounts can only use the DLC on the Switch that is set as the DLC buyer's Primary Console.

Gonna make some stuff up as an example to demonstrate in case anyone needs the help: Let's say I am the buyer of a DLC and I have 2 Switches. One Switch is has red/blue joycons, one is the special edition AC Switch. If I set red/blue Switch as my primary console, I can play it and so can all other accounts on the red/blue Switch. The AC Switch is not set as my primary console, but because I bought the DLC, I can play it on there. No other accounts on the AC Switch can play it except me.
Thanks so much for explaining it . I really appreciate it, now I get it.

I wish we had some clarity on if it would work for all profiles or just the main one. I can play my physical copy with both profiles but only my main rep can go online and play with others. I would need to buy another subscription or get the family plan for my other profile to go online. So I assumed the DLC would work the same way.
That makes sense since the online subscription is account specific, just like with PlayStation. But games/dlcs seem to be accessible as long as it's the owner of the game's primary Switch. Like all my other games are accessible by the other profiles without them owning it, so I don't see why a dlc would operate differently. Now when I'm playing games on a different Switch using my account, where for example, it's my boyfriend's primary Switch, only my account would be able to use it, and no other profiles.

But I agree, clarity would be nice. :)

What I'm most curious about is what happens to the dlc if you get it through the subscription service, and then you decide not to renew.. Does that break your game? Does it revert? Some features only work with the DLC so what happens when Nintendo takes it away? *Do* they take it away? I'm so confused lol.

They really need to actually explain this stuff.

Back