• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

Why do people sell things for TBT?

EpicMeli

Bells
Arcade Tokens
Small Mailbox
Pear (Fruit)
User Title Color Change
They’re literally a pointless currency?

You can do almost nothing with TBT? What’s the point?

I also jus rechecked the shop and most of the pictures (that’s literally all they are) are sold out anyway.

Several reasons, actually!
  1. It's easy to trade again once you get it because so many people accept it. No more dealing with dropping ridiculous amounts of bells in-game!
  2. It is also a currency that's used a lot for art sales in the museum shops, so you can get other people to draw you pretty things!
  3. There are indeed collectibles being sold in the shop, but also by other users on the trading boards if you want fancier collectibles. Those are usually a bit more expensive though, going up to several thousand TBT.
  4. The collectibles in the shop change and get restocked every now and then. Sometimes you can buy some nice stuff with it. :D
  5. A lot of people selling stuff for TBT are saving it to buy add-ons like user title colours and username changes. Those are pretty expensive too.
  6. Bragging rights, I suppose. Being rich can be fun. :cool:

Several reasons, actually!
  1. It's easy to trade again once you get it because so many people accept it. No more dealing with dropping ridiculous amounts of bells in-game!
  2. It is also a currency that's used a lot for art sales in the museum shops, so you can get other people to draw you pretty things!
  3. There are indeed collectibles being sold in the shop, but also by other users on the trading boards if you want fancier collectibles. Those are usually a bit more expensive though, going up to several thousand TBT.
  4. The collectibles in the shop change and get restocked every now and then. Sometimes you can buy some nice stuff with it. :D
  5. A lot of people selling stuff for TBT are saving it to buy add-ons like user title colours and username changes. Those are pretty expensive too.
  6. Bragging rights, I suppose. Being rich can be fun. :cool:

Sorry to sound blunt but the only thing there worth it is trading for art and such.

Collectibles are pointless.

And it doesn’t take much to save for the real things like username changes.

At least NMT are useful and so are in game bells. ;;

Collectibles aren't pointless especially to those people who spend a lot of time on this forum and want to give their profile a bit of personal "flair". The fact that there is a dedicated place for trading TBT stuff means there's a demand for it. I personally have enough in game bells/NMT so there's no point of hoarding any further.

It just depends on the person on what you want to do with tbt.

-There are people who like the collectibles and enjoy making their lineup aesthetically pleasing. It's what they put importance on and it shows their pride for being on this website? Idk. I'm not a TBT anthropologist.
-Then there's people like me who aren't into collectibles will hand off tbt like candy because I don't have to trade an arm and leg for ACNH items with billions of bells that I don't have. Or like 200 NMTs which I also don't have.

You can trade for NMTs and in-game bells with tbt too. One person in the Nook's Cranny sub-forum will trade 1:1 NMT for TBT. So your 132 bells can be 132 NMT.

It's a win-win if you ask me.

Sorry to sound blunt but the only thing there worth it is trading for art and such.

That's just down to personal preference and I can respect that! Some people care a lot about their collectibles, others don't at all, I'm somewhere in the middle myself.

At this point I have plenty of bells and NMT so I wouldn't think of them as useful at all. There would be no point in me trading away my spare items anymore because it takes effort to set up trades, and I'd only be hoarding more currencies that I'll never use for anything. So whether those two are useful is a matter of opinion too, I suppose. :D

The nice thing is that you can easily swap your currencies though. There are usually a few people doing those trades!

The TBT currency is half the reason I joined this website in the first place. It was such a hassle having to trade with IGB in New Leaf. TBT makes trading quick and easy, and you can use it for other things too, like collectibles (sure they're just pictures, but they look cool), art, and for items in other games, such as Pokémon. You can even use TBT to buy NMT and IGB. It's a very useful currency and honestly gives us such a huge advantage over other AC communities, imo!

I also jus rechecked the shop and most of the pictures (that’s literally all they are) are sold out anyway.

As everyone else has pointed out already, tbt is far from pointless. I'm pretty active in the trading section of the website where there are really amazing deals that require tbt. I use the currency very often and enjoy doing so because I like to save my bells for island projects and my NMTs for getting new villagers/items. I'm basically rewarded for being a participating member of the forum, which I enjoy being anyway.

Using tbt to buy nmt and IGB seems pointless to me because using tbt is currency to buy little pictures is useless?

It’s even more annoying cos tbt is hard to get naturally (posting seems the only viable way).

NMT and IGB can be earned easily and more fun.
And also, they’re useful.

Again, the only positive I’ve seen is buying real art.

I hate being forced to use a forum currency that means nothing to trade in this game that has its own currencies.

i can’t speak on behalf of everyone but imo, tbt is a super easy currency which is part of why it’s so sought after. you can do a lot of things with tbt such as buy in-game items, commission people for artwork and if it’s something you’re into, collectibles - where collectibles are concerned, while a lot of collectibles in the tbt shop are sold out and have been for quite a while, there’s always people in the marketplace subforum selling all sorts of different collectibles which appeals to a lot of people (me included, aha).

but the main reasons, for me, are being able to purchase stuff for other games + commissions. tbt was especially useful during the first few weeks after new horizons was released (even though the bell system was disabled at the time) as not everyone had loads of bells, nmts, items, etc and so tbt was likely the easiest method of payment.

it might seem silly but sometimes tbt is the only currency available for some, especially in situations such as museum shops where lots of them charge RLC for artwork as despite how talented everyone is and how much work goes into commissions, not everybody has the financial means to purchase art with RLC and so, tbt gives them a chance to commission the artists that they love.

it also comes in handy for bigger trades; new horizons only gives us 40 pocket spaces, no storage and inability to access the ABD on someone else’s island so trading can become tedious if you’re paying with more than 40 stacks of bells or nmt. but with tbt, it only takes maybe,, 5 seconds and so it’s definitely the easiest to pay with sometimes aha

Last edited:
I’m going to be honest here... I still to this day have no idea why I am so into tbt and trading with it.

Something about collecting is fun even if the feeling of earning is completely false it’s still there. I find it relaxing, I have formed connections and made friends through trading with tbt and collectibles and have a good time. I am a very aesthetic person so I enjoy personalising my profile even if it’s completely pointless (again I have no idea why I’m into them lol)

The art is a serious plus side, the quality of many of the artists on tbt is phenomenal so it is great for that. I understand not liking it for ac trades since it’s pointless for your purposes but it does seem to be what everyone wants 🤷🏼‍♀️. It’s definitely much more convenient to transfer tbt than tons of nmt or bells.

I have to disagree with this statement. Despite not being that interested in collectibles before the TBT 2020 Fair, I've always understood why people liked them. Even though it's virtual, there's a certain charm to collecting these adorable little images.

Now, even I'm into collecting! It's also just a great investment in case I ever need NMTs or need certain items. And I'm sorry that you feel forced to use it, but most people don't feel that way. It's not exactly hard to obtain; you just post on threads and boom, you get a random amount.

I didn't get why collectibles were so popular when I first started, as they are just a tiny collection of pixels. But alot of people have made their lineups look amazing and have personal attachment to them. When I asked on the HQ subgroup why everyone was so in to them, someone explained that they look pretty, even though they don't do anything, and gifted me my first one - a september birthstone - MY birthstone. So now, my lineup has my husband's, mine, and my son's birthstone. It also has 4 from my first fair that I took time to participate in. It also has one that I got from someone who I was able to gift them a collectible that has significant personal meaning to them. And lastly, it has gifts that others gave me for my birthday and out of the kindness of their hearts. So no, they are not pointless. They have as much meaning as you allow them to have and the majority of people on here enjoy them and get them because of an attachment of some kind.

Also, tbt and collectibles go hand in hand, if you don't have one, you generally don't have the other. I was able to get a bunch of tbt for trading a collectible that someone really wanted. Now I have some if I ever want to use it to trade for in-game items on any of the subgroups - some people ONLY accept tbt, so it's far from useless. The only thing that is useless is having a sour attitude. You should consider how your tone impacts people. You don't know why people collect their little squares of pixels. My son has spina bifida, so having his birthstone means alot to me. Without their permission, I won't share another personal attechment that i know, but yeah. Thankfully, everyone on this forum is beyond gracious. I hope that even though you don't see the point of collectibles or tbt, that you at least can change your mindset to one of honest curiosity rather than the closed mindset you seem to have currently. Maybe you just need gifted a collectible to see how cute they are. ❤

Using tbt to buy nmt and IGB seems pointless to me because using tbt is currency to buy little pictures is useless?

It’s even more annoying cos tbt is hard to get naturally (posting seems the only viable way).

NMT and IGB can be earned easily and more fun.
And also, they’re useful.

Again, the only positive I’ve seen is buying real art.

I hate being forced to use a forum currency that means nothing to trade in this game that has its own currencies.

I mean, technically gathering bells and items in AC is also useless in the grand scheme of things. Whether you do well in AC or not doesn't have an effect in real life. Neither do collectibles. But people like both because it's fun and brings enjoyment to life.

It's incredibly useful entirely because so many people here value it.
I've never cared much for the collectables on here, so it functions as a back-up currency for me, which came in handy when my ACNL save corrupt, I pretty much bought back all my hybrids, some villagers, IGB and items without any stress just with TBT I'd slowly gathered over time.

Also much easier buying villagers on here for ACNH so far, saves whatever trips to abd, or time getting NMT from RS, just sending the TBT over.

tbt is mad easy to get and my sidebar is criminally sexy so i mean.

plus what use do i have for more igb? i've consistently had 16mil+ from turnips, and i have 100+ nmt in my storage along with 500k unspent nook miles. those are infinitely more useless to me than tbt, especially considering i like collectibles.

I don't think anyone is forcing you to trade using TBT :0 Honestly if it's not your thing you can simply ignore it or try trading on other sites that suite your trading preferences better. :)

Collectibles might not be a thing for you but many people like customizing their sidebars and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that! Saying "this is useless" to someone who genuinely enjoys something is kinda hurtful. 😕

Collectibles aren't pointless if there's an interest in obtaining them. It's understandable not to understand why people like collectibles due to a lack of interest but that doesn't mean it's pointless in the overrall sense.

Back