• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What’s your opinion on America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
this country is literally on fire and all trump had to do is show some empathy. im sickened and disgusted and im scared for the future. im scared that black people will further be murdered and imprisoned under this military state. i fear that my family and other black people in the us may have to seek political asylum.
And I'd like to add (even though I'm not African American, I'm a white man), seeking political asylum is something that I wish no American would have to even consider, but I'm also aware that when times get bad, drastic measures often have to be taken. What makes matters worse is that Donald Trump has literally threatened violence in the country on the part of the National Guard, and on top of that, he quoted George Wallace, a segregationist former governor of Alabama who infamously, in 1963, opposed efforts by the administration of John F. Kennedy with Kennedy's Deputy Attorney General, Nicholas Katzenbach, to get the University of Alabama desegregated and then also ran on a racist platform of the far-right American Independent Party in the 1968 election. This, plus the fact that Trump literally is trying to get Antifa declared a terrorist organization (which, Antifa activists basically don't do anything I agree with personally, but the problem is that it's not an organized group, so it's difficult for the government to determine what's "Antifa" and what is not, and that gets me concerned that even actual peaceful protesters could get charged) just basically goes to show he's a far-right radical.

Just as a note: as an Alabamian, I will note that George Wallace did later renounce his segregationist views, but he didn't do so until 1979.

A number of people are stating that they can no longer get groceries or medicine due to groceries and pharmacies being destroyed from the riots or it is far too dangerous to even go outside. It was already difficult enough to get said things due to the pandemic. Just sayin' that there is more than just "destroying buildings" to the story.

Also, innocent people are losing their jobs due to places they worked being destroyed.

Can you even imagine being so scared to go to a grocery store or pharmacy because you are worried about being stopped by a cop and due to racial profiling be worried for your life that that cop doesn't decide to just kill you. Or even a smaller example, to go out in public and have people stare at you or recoil just because of your skin and more racial profiling. Again its the fact that you can think this way and not acknowledge the other side that is part of the problem.
Post automatically merged:

This is the plight of so many black americans today, and its a shame. I can't imagine feeling like that because I am a white male, but I want to understand more which is why i support the movement and want to hear what these people have to say.

Property and economy shouldn't even be the discussion right now. You can be upset about unnecessary violence and small business destruction yeah, but first and foremost you need to acknowledge the injustice that happened to George Floyd and how that one example of racism is rampant throughout so many parts of our government and infrastructure in so many ways. You need to acknowledge why these riots and protests happened. It is a privilege to even have that mindset when so many black people have to live in fear of so many other things. Peaceful protest and other campaigns fell on deaf ears for too long. I think this should be a wake up call on humanity, justice, and so many other moral things that we need to address before any sort of economical or lots of other issues can even begin to be addressed.

I also used to just go along with what my parents taught me, or to think that police and government should be the leading force. However I think there is such a corrupt underbelly about it that intervention outside of the "laws" is necessary. MLK opposed laws up and down, and if it wasn't for that ethical push we wouldn't have gotten the slight ground for black people that we would have today. I too wish that violence on innocent people and small businesses was minimized, but I absolutely understand why this has happened and i support that movement towards true equality and justice for black people way more. Just like you can support a cause for a war knowing innocent people will get lost due to negligence, "bad apples", and the nature of things.
A number of people are stating that they can no longer get groceries or medicine due to groceries and pharmacies being destroyed from the riots or it is far too dangerous to even go outside. It was already difficult enough to get said things due to the pandemic. Just sayin' that there is more than just "destroying buildings" to the story.

Also, innocent people are losing their jobs due to places they worked being destroyed.
I'm multi-quoting both of these messages as there are points I agree with in both of them. Like I said, I do not agree with the destruction of buildings or property, but I'm also aware that many African Americans are just simply tired of not being listened to-and that's a problem for this country, especially when you considered how it was in 1619 that blacks first arrived in this country as slaves brought over from Africa. Thomas Jefferson's promise of life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness like he wrote in the Declaration of Independence when it was drafted in 1776 were not afforded to African Americans for far too long, even though Jefferson had children with one of his slaves, Sally Hemings, and then their children, by extension, were slaves too. It wasn't until Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation in 1863 that slavery finally became illegal nationwide, and that was in the midst of a civil war which was almost completely about slavery, as I stated earlier when discussing this matter with Mica in this thread. Even then, when you consider that Jim Crow laws became commonplace around 1877 following the end of Reconstruction, blacks in the South would deal with so many prejudicial issues, most infamously lynching. (As an Alabamian, I should note that not far from Huntsville, where I live, is the city of Scottsboro, where infamously the Scottsboro Boys got falsely accused of rape in 1931, which these events were later used as the basis of the plot of Harper Lee's 1960 novel To Kill a Mockingbird) It really took the civil rights push in the 1950s and '60s for these tides to turn, largely following how a large number of African American men served in World War II. Even then, and despite the fact that we even had an African American president, blacks in many ways face problems that no other race does. These actions aren't done out of malevolence-they are done out of desperation.

Can you imagine people who already deal with all of that now can't feed their families or get medicine?

yes, because so many marginalized groups across america can't do that because of the social constructs of our government and society that work against them without a pandemic, without riots and protests. Then people want to minimize their plight or not let them speak and nothing changes for them or others -- then you become so upset that it leads to violence and protests in lots of different forms

I'm scared for my future, and I'm a freakin' white woman! I'm not even remotely being discriminated against, and I'm still scared that my family all over the county will get injured. But... can someone explain when looting is a thing? I've never understood destroying small businesses to get a point across. I think it is to get back at bigger chains like Target, but I'm still not completely sure.

yes, because so many marginalized groups across america can't do that because of the social constructs of our government and society that work against them without a pandemic, without riots and protests. Then people want to minimize their plight or not let them speak and nothing changes for them or others
In my opinion, I think that non-violent protests would be more effective and not hurt any innocent people. You have your opinion and a right to having one, just I feel differently.

We'll have to just accept that we have a difference of opinion.

I'm scared for my future, and I'm a freakin' white woman! I'm not even remotely being discriminated against, and I'm still scared that my family all over the county will get injured. But... can someone explain when looting is a thing? I've never understood destroying small businesses to get a point across. I think it is to get back at bigger chains like Target, but I'm still not completely sure.
It’s not about store chains. It is about anger over a system that continues to mistreat a group of people compared to a majority of people in society. This is not anything new in history either. We can all say that property destruction is illegal and immoral, but I can’t imagine ever being black and damaging a black owned business. I can’t imagine the years of injustice to push me to that point of anger. That’s the point. Look to the problems in the system that pushes these groups to these drastic measures.

It’s not about store chains. It is about anger over a system that continues to mistreat a group of people compared to a majority of people in society. This is not anything new in history either. We can all say that property destruction is illegal and immoral, but I can’t imagine ever being black and damaging a black owned business. I can’t imagine the years of injustice to push me to that point of anger. That’s the point. Look to the system that pushes these groups to these drastic measures.
OH oh ok! That clears it up. Thank you! I never knew it was all about the system. I've been confused about that for a long time!

Non-violent protests clearly weren't working to get the point across. Kneeling during the pledge of allegiance was regarded as "not patriotic". Do you think "nonviolent protests" would've stopped Hitler from persecuting Jews for no reason. Also the violence is both sided, why are police tear gassing and shooting rubber bullets at passive protests.

You are right you can have your opinion, but I also can tell you why your opinion is part of the problem. Because choosing to focus on something else, belittles the point they are trying to make.

In my opinion, I think that non-violent protests would be more effective and not hurt any innocent people.

The point of violent protests is because non-violent protests are not listened to. The second things got more violent, the entire world started listening

Last edited:
You guys do realize that George Floyd's family does NOT approve of the violent riots, correct? You are speaking on their behalf without even hearing what they said.

Sources can be found for every major newspaper, but here is one of them. [link]
Nobody really wants to defend violence. Violence is horrible. But I have to look at it through a trauma informed lense as well. In schools, kids will tear a classroom up due to trauma experienced in their young lives. Riots can be seen as a response to trauma experienced overtime as well. His family may not support riots, but riots are going to happen until the system stops inflicting trauma upon marginalized groups in society.

Nobody really wants to defend violence. Violence is horrible. But I have to look at it through a trauma informed lense as well. In schools, kids will tear a classroom up due to trauma experienced in their young lives. Riots can be seen as a response to trauma experienced overtime as well. His family may not support riots, but riots are going to happen until the system stops inflicting trauma upon marginalized groups in society.
Exactly. Rioting isn't good in my opinion, but it has been far too long for the United States to not address the matters that African Americans have had to battle for centuries in this country. All blacks want is life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness-the same words written by Thomas Jefferson despite the fact that he was a slaveowner who hypocritically had kids with a slave of his. We're at a breaking point-and the soul of this country must heal itself, or else we will tear ourselves apart.

People have also been ignoring the fact that there are undercover police in the crowds and there’s been evidence of them leading others into looting, throwing rocks, and doing literally anything they can possibly do to get the protests and riots to turn violent.

And then they wear armbands so that their cop buddies don’t shoot them like the real protestors. It’s so tiring....

Exactly. Rioting isn't good in my opinion, but it has been far too long for the United States to not address the matters that African Americans have had to battle for centuries in this country. All blacks want is life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness-the same words written by Thomas Jefferson despite the fact that he was a slaveowner who hypocritically had kids with a slave of his. We're at a breaking point-and the soul of this country must heal itself, or else we will tear ourselves apart.
People have also been ignoring the fact that there are undercover police in the crowds and there’s been evidence of them leading others into looting, throwing rocks, and doing literally anything they can possibly do to get the protests and riots to turn violent.

And then they wear armbands so that their cop buddies don’t shoot them like the real protestors. It’s so tiring....
I can agree and the fact remains that until people look to the bias and corruption with our so called leaders and protectors, riots will continue as a response to trauma and nothing will change.

Think what you want, but I'm going to continue to respect what George Floyd's family actually stated they wanted, which is no violent riots.

You guys do realize that George Floyd's family does NOT approve of the violent riots, correct? You are speaking on their behalf without even hearing what they said.

Sources can be found for every major newspaper, but here is one of them. [link]

I never said I was speaking on behalf of anyone... I am trying to explain what I have learned from why all of this is happening. You are choosing to refuse to acknowledge the other side at all and would rather divert and try to put words in the mouth of someone just trying to spread awareness and advocacy. You are trying to silence and belittle me just so you can be right, when I wish I didn't have to explain all of this.

I could've easily devolved and lashed out back at you and said something like "you are a racist" and try to character assassinate you too. But no, I don't think you are a racist at all, attacking back or trying to force a label on someone is not going to help anything, it will just make more problems. We need to listen to each other, and I have made it clear that I have thought on several sides of this conflict. But being negligent to the problem and choosing to focus on something else SHOULD NOT be ok anymore. To say "we'll agree to disagree" isn't enough anymore when that means people are still being unrightfully killed based on their skin color. I just want you to see why these people are so upset, why they are crying out like this, what they are trying to say because so far I'm just really sad that you aren't seemingly getting it. That's not to say we should accept those lost due to this tragedy on justice and human nature overall whether in actual people or economically, but why the bigger picture is so important to not lose focus of right now.

Respond to this all you like, I'm done here. I've said my peace, I stand by every word.

I have said that it's OK for you to have an opinion and I have been nothing but respectful to you. How am I trying to silence you, exactly? You originally replied to my post and then I replied to yours, which is how threads work.

You're implying that everyone who supports peaceful protests are the bad guys when everyone in this thread just wants equality. I am merely standing by his family's wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back