• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What’s your opinion on America?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think what you want, but I'm going to continue to respect what George Floyd's family actually stated they wanted, which is no violent riots.

they just lost someone in their family. They probably don't want any more press coverage. Maybe they are forced to say that so as to not get backlash or death threats from families and people affected by this. There are so many possibilities and sides to this, hence why its important in these times to listen to how so many other black people feel after the injustice to George Floyd

they just lost someone in their family. They probably don't want any more press coverage. Maybe they are forced to say that so as to not get backlash or death threats from families and people affected by this. There are so many possibilities and sides to this, hence why its important in these times to listen to how so many other black people feel after the injustice to George Floyd
Again, the "probably". You are assuming things on their behalf despite what they had actually said.

Again, the "probably". You are assuming things on their behalf despite what they had actually said.

Ah yes, because mainstream media never twists a story to fuel an agenda. I don't know them personally, you don't know them personally. Which is why again, I think its also almost more important to listen to all of the black people affected by this occurrence even moreso.

this is again now getting into an argument about assumptions and what people are "implying" and some other nitty gritty he said/she said. You are choosing to divert attention by clinging to one shrivel of a fact of a story force fed from mainstream media rather than face the actual problem that affects more people which is this government, this society has racism built into it. The occurrence of black people being killed unjustly by police is too high and I feel so bad for the people whose reality is affected by that.

STOP trying to say that I am implying anything other than that. You are drawing your assumptions on me too so I think we should both stop before this goes any further. I came here to explain my thoughts on why these protests are happening, if you choose to not actually face that I wish I could be that oblivious

Ah yes, because mainstream media never twists a story to fuel an agenda. I don't know them personally, you don't know them personally. Which is why again, I think its also almost more important to listen to all of the black people affected by this occurrence even moreso.

this is again now getting into an argument about assumptions and what people are "implying" and some other nitty gritty he said/she said. You are choosing to divert attention by clinging to one shrivel of a fact of a story force fed from mainstream media rather than face the actual problem that affects more people which is this government, this society has racism built into it. The occurrence of black people being killed unjustly by police is too high and I feel so bad for the people whose reality is affected by that.

STOP trying to say that I am implying anything other than that. You are drawing your assumptions on me too so I think we should both stop before this goes any further. I came here to explain my thoughts on why these protests are happening, if you choose to not actually face that I wish I could be that oblivious
It is true that the media will try to twist stories, but this was a direct quote and not any media interference.
There are many facts based on my reasoning, not just "one shrivel fact", so I will write them out:

- People cannot get food due to grocery stores being destroyed
- People cannot get medicine due to pharmacies being destroyed
- People cannot get basic essentials as it is also too dangerous to go outside in a number of cities in America
- People are losing their jobs since the buildings they work in are being destroyed
- People are being physically hurt
- People who already have to deal with racism now have to deal with all of the above as well
- The victim's family stating that they do not want violent protests

I am the one being calm and collected here. If you did not want a discussion, then I'm not sure why you replied to my post, as I already saw your first post earlier in the thread. Thank you and good night.

Last edited:
Again, I think choosing to focus more on those things and the consequences of the riots and violent protests is a huge part of the problem. Because when you focus on that you lose allllllll of what I have been saying about racism being built into this country at this point and WHY THIS IS HAPPENING IN THE FIRST PLACE. All of those things you listed could really be applied to minorities or marginalized groups in this country which is the issue that led to all of these riots, spurred by another black man being unjustly killed by a police officer. Choosing to ignore that reality for them is why they are now so frustrated that has led to violent protests.

You can be upset about these things and still understand why they are happening. Which I don't believe you do, or at least you haven't made any notion of that in any of your posts.

I wanted a discussion yes, but you have chosen to not even address the reason and the bulk of my points. Its this type of negligence that really isn't ok in this country anymore.

Again, I think choosing to focus more on those things and the consequences of the riots and violent protests is a huge part of the problem. Because when you focus on that you lose allllllll of what I have been saying about racism being built into this country at this point and WHY THIS IS HAPPENING IN THE FIRST PLACE. All of those things you listed could really be applied to minorities or marginalized groups in this country which is the issue that led to all of these riots, spurred by another black man being unjustly killed by a police officer. Choosing to ignore that reality for them is why they are now so frustrated that has led to violent protests.

You can be upset about these things and still understand why they are happening. Which I don't believe you do, or at least you haven't made any notion of that in any of your posts.

I wanted a discussion yes, but you have chosen to not even address the reason and the bulk of my points. Its this type of negligence that really isn't ok in this country anymore.
I have read your points and simply decided to side with the family's wishes instead of someone random on the internet. Y'all are also typing a bit too hostile for me to even want to have a discussion with ya. Bye bye.

I have read your points and simply decided to side with the family's wishes instead of someone random on the internet. Y'all are also typing a bit too hostile for me to even want to have a discussion with ya. Bye bye.

well just in the future, if you want to have a successful discussion... make a point to say first off that you did read their points. Rather than not address them throughout your responses.

Because not listening or not showing you are listening (especially in a forum setting where facial cues are not present) will cause people to not take you seriously. Not being heard is very frustrating, having to repeat yourself is frustrating. That's why someone might feel "hostile"

well just in the future, if you want to have a successful discussion... make a point to say first off that you did read their points. Rather than not address them throughout your responses.

Because not listening or not showing you are listening (especially in a forum setting where facial cues are not present) will cause people to not take you seriously. Not being heard is very frustrating, having to repeat yourself is frustrating. That's why someone might feel "hostile"
I do hear people, but I do not appreciate when people try to force me to join their side with comments that are clearly fueled with hostility. There's a difference between politely stating your opinion vs basically treating someone as being an enemy for thinking differently. I want justice for the victim and his family just like everyone else in this thread. Thus, I did not want to mention your points directly as I felt I would be attacked further with angry comments.

I think that you, among other people, were angered that I wanted equality that wasn't through violence. You can correct me if you were not angry, but your choice of words this whole time came across as furious. Again, people are allowed to their opinions, but it is insulting that I would be treated as an enemy if I want equality as well and am siding with his family's wishes. Not all of African Americans even want this violence happening, but a lot of people in this thread are saying that is the only thing they want. They have differing opinions on this.

Also didn't sit well that people in this thread seemed to think that I didn't understand the pain of what happened, which is very insulting. I feel the hurt intensely of the tragedy. Just because I don't agree with violence, doesn't mean I don't understand how painful all of it is. It's why I don't want people who already struggle with being attacked for their race to be dealing with the pandemic along with not being able to eat or get medicine due to the destroyed buildings. I want people to speak up, but peacefully would be for the best, in my personal opinion. (wrote this to further clarify any previous posts)

Lastly, no one in this thread has said that the riots or violence are directly affecting them in their area, so it's easy for someone to say "going without food/no medicine/getting hurt/losing jobs is for the greater good" when they already have their own food, medicine, and are unaffected and living comfortably. It's like Lord Farquaad from Shrek saying "Some of you may die, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make" while he didn't take a part in it directly.

I'm just tryin' to think of the unfortunate people out there that can't get basic necesseities/lost their jobs due to the violence.

Last edited:
I think only a psychopath would WANT to have violence. But I think violence moreso comes as a reaction to not being heard, feeling attacked, etc. Which is where a lot of this is coming from. Hell even the president is now saying he will send the military onto protestors. I would say the majority of these protests have started out as peaceful, but its naive to think that things won't get more riotous when it comes to matters like this. Especially when you look at the nature of how black people were treated during slavery and segregation. Whether its cops tear gassing peaceful protests (happening in my town) or "hoodlums" knocking out windows in buildings and setting fire to buses (also happening in my town) its coming from both sides too.

When a child acts out in school, most teachers will punish that child or scold them. I have seen several people across my social media who are teachers/ work with kids (using this example in regards to what is currently happening) say that most of those children are acting out for a specific reason, and you need to embrace that child and love him/her or at least listen to the child rather than condone their actions. I think this is a powerful lesson to be learned in regards to these violent protests. We shouldn't be condoning the actions of these violent protests or cling to some reason that allows us to condone these protests. I think that rather more people should try to put themselves outside our comfort zone to understand why they happen and give those people a voice, give them a chance they have never had. That voice has already echoed the things I've mentioned throughout this thread. We also should definitely not let those violent protests diminish what the non-violent protests are trying to say, as well as assume that the police or government reactions to these more riotous protests and nonvolatile protests is ok.

To continue to not even try towards this I think is continuing this injustice. I have seen several people try to take the side of "the protests are destroying so much" but I think to ignore what that protest is saying in all that is not ok.

Post above said:
I think that you, among other people, were angered that I wanted equality that wasn't through violence

I don't know where this quote came from. But this is not what I have been purporting at all. I would not be angered at someone wanting equality through peaceful manners, i don't think people would. I've been angered that you seemingly weren't even acknowledging my point. But now I see why you weren't and I don't agree with it and hopefully you can understand why I would feel that way.

I of course would love for all protests to be peaceful. But I also am a realist. Knowing the nature and weight of where this all comes from, and seeing the reaction the government/ police force is taking, my heart breaks for the black people who still feel that racism everyday and I cannot even begin to imagine what that feels like or how I would react to it. And it saddens me that people aren't keeping this in the forefront of their mind

It is true that the media will try to twist stories, but this was a direct quote and not any media interference.
There are many facts based on my reasoning, not just "one shrivel fact", so I will write them out:

- People cannot get food due to grocery stores being destroyed
- People cannot get medicine due to pharmacies being destroyed
- People cannot get basic essentials as it is also too dangerous to go outside in a number of cities in America
- People are losing their jobs since the buildings they work in are being destroyed
- People are being physically hurt
- People who already have to deal with racism now have to deal with all of the above as well
- The victim's family stating that they do not want violent protests

I am the one being calm and collected here. If you did not want a discussion, then I'm not sure why you replied to my post, as I already saw your first post earlier in the thread. Thank you and good night.
I will say to this that one part of the problem is that similar problems were already going on due to the coronavirus pandemic. Also, I can't imagine all of the looting has been good for storekeepers and people in similar employment.
Post automatically merged:

I think only a psychopath would WANT to have violence. But I think violence moreso comes as a reaction to not being heard, feeling attacked, etc. Which is where a lot of this is coming from. Hell even the president is now saying he will send the military onto protestors. I would say the majority of these protests have started out as peaceful, but its naive to think that things won't get more riotous when it comes to matters like this. Especially when you look at the nature of how black people were treated during slavery and segregation. Whether its cops tear gassing peaceful protests (happening in my town) or "hoodlums" knocking out windows in buildings and setting fire to buses (also happening in my town) its coming from both sides too.

When a child acts out in school, most teachers will punish that child or scold them. I have seen several people across my social media who are teachers/ work with kids (using this example in regards to what is currently happening) say that most of those children are acting out for a specific reason, and you need to embrace that child and love him/her or at least listen to the child rather than condone their actions. I think this is a powerful lesson to be learned in regards to these violent protests. We shouldn't be condoning the actions of these violent protests or cling to some reason that allows us to condone these protests. I think that rather more people should try to put themselves outside our comfort zone to understand why they happen and give those people a voice, give them a chance they have never had. That voice has already echoed the things I've mentioned throughout this thread. We also should definitely not let those violent protests diminish what the non-violent protests are trying to say, as well as assume that the police or government reactions to these more riotous protests and nonvolatile protests is ok.

To continue to not even try towards this I think is continuing this injustice. I have seen several people try to take the side of "the protests are destroying so much" but I think to ignore what that protest is saying in all that is not ok.

I don't know where this quote came from. But this is not what I have been purporting at all. I would not be angered at someone wanting equality through peaceful manners, i don't think people would. I've been angered that you seemingly weren't even acknowledging my point. But now I see why you weren't and I don't agree with it and hopefully you can understand why I would feel that way.

I of course would love for all protests to be peaceful. But I also am a realist. Knowing the nature and weight of where this all comes from, and seeing the reaction the government/ police force is taking, my heart breaks for the black people who still feel that racism everyday and I cannot even begin to imagine what that feels like or how I would react to it. And it saddens me that people aren't keeping this in the forefront of their mind
You do make a good point as when people seem to not be getting the intention they need, they do crazy things-that was why, when she was pregnant with Prince William, Princess Diana threw herself onto the stairs in Buckingham Palace-she didn't feel like she was getting adequate attention from Prince Charles.

I'm gonna state my experience and opinion, then dip out!

I was at one of the big U.S. protests Saturday, I won't say which for anonymity purposes. We marched peacefully for three hours. Then we were met with around thirty police officers. They shot at us and tear gassed us, unannounced. I felt like I was going to die, I couldn't breathe. I was suffocating so bad, I couldn't move. A woman dragged me to safety. Another peaceful protester was shot point blank in the head by a rubber bullet. She was taken to the ICU and just got out of a coma today. She still can't verbally communicate. And yet, even after being attacked, 99% of us remained peaceful. I did see some people (the very small minority) get a lil violent afterwards and into the night, but I noticed that none of them were black. Black protesters were actively trying to stop them, as if a white person sets a building on fire and leaves, the consequences will fall upon the black protesters. So in conclusion, the protesters, and the rioters and looters are two separate groups of people. Do not get it confused.

I personally don't recommend rioting or looting, but I also can not blame people who do, as they have been ignored and abused for centuries. I do blame, however, non-black people who cause this violence despite protest organizer's wishes, knowing the fact that the blame will not go to the rioters and looters. It will go to the BLM movement.

although it is quite embarrassing to have someone like trump in office and him lead our country, i just don't see another place where i can go like america. this place has a nasty history, but so does every other country in the world, let alone every nation. my family came here after the cambodian genocide and laotian civil war and to them this is one of the best countries in the world which i can agree with them to a certain extent. we are privileged to be in a country like this, but i can understand why people think otherwise because of the social injustices and everything else america has done wrong. i want change in this country, but i'm afraid of change too.

my opinion on america: it's a good country, and to people like my grandma this place brought them freedom. but i can definitely see the problems of this country and how messed up it is. i wouldn't chose any other place to live because i don't know any place like america

This thread has drifted away from its initial purpose, so I'm going to close this here.

I do not understand enough about what is happening across the pond to feel capable of commenting on it to people who actually live in America—and would not wish to offend anyone involved in the discussion by appearing to undermine the situation with a generic mod response about respecting each other, holding hands, and playing Ring Around the Rosie here—so let's just leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back