What to give a three year old for their birthday!?!?!

Megablocks
Dinkie cars/Hot Wheels are fun too with that playmat with a map of a city on it. Not sure if they still put things in their mouth at that age though.
Stuffed animals like Beanie Babies.
Books (some with textures, pop ups, or buttons to make sounds)
If they're into a specific show, maybe grab them a plush or other toy of it (Care Bears, Pokemon, Paw Patrol, etc)

What are they interested in? That'll help with figuring out what they like! Also are they turning 3 or 4 o:

Search for the shrillest, single noisiest toy in the store with the most unpleasantly bright LED lights and flashing colors, and gauge the reaction of the child's parents. If the toy's obnoxiousness has successfully stripped them of their will to live, then get them that.

Yeah, it's hard to give suggestions when we don't know a lot about the kid. My 2 year-old nephew loves tearing into books and building blocks. I'm getting him board books and a busy board for Christmas. Speaking of busy boards/books, I've heard good things about them online. Maybe you could look into that. Actually any type of montessori toys should be good for kids in this age range. Heck even basic stuff like large sheets of paper, crayons, colored chalk, and Play Doh will be loved by most kids.

Some series that I know are popular with kids are Cocomelon and Blippi.

If you know any of their favorite animals, colors, or cartoon characters, you can use that as a guide. For my niece and nephews, at that age I usually get them learning toys or things to spark creativity. Examples would be board books, flashcards, blocks, puzzles, doodle boards, interactive toys with shapes, colors, textures, and sounds.

Picture books, I don't know how much reading they do if at all, but anything to make them interested really. Or more story/fairy-tale books if their parents are into reading aloud (which most should be into anyway).

(yes I work at a library if it matters, and it's really interesting to see which people/cultures/languages are into the importance of reading, or teaching their children to do early).

I find it helpful to go on websites like Toys-R-Us and search by age for ideas.
I need to remind myself my nieces are getting older and I can't buy the same stuff I use to for them. Haha.

It sometimes helps to ask the parent what they might need, so you don’t buy something they already have. Ask what kinds of things the kid likes. But building toys marked for their age range are great. If he likes a certain building thing already, you can get little extension sets to go with it. Books are fantastic too! Just try not to get one that opposes the family’s values or is too mature.

Not crayons or a drum (or recorder) unless you don"t like his parents. Some like blocks and stuff related to their favorite movie/characters. There are also cooking kits for kids of that age, but parents need to be involved too so perhaps you should asking them first.

At 3 I would go for an age appropriate book like a bedtime story book. Depending on the child Lego or pencils and a colouring in book. Please avoid messy sand or glitter 🥴

Back