Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
I thought I'd make a thread for Earth Week for people to show off their favorite plants! It can be different kinds of flowers, trees, anything!

For me it would have to be....

1. Roses

2. Sunflowers

3. Cacti

Now what about you guys? :3

ooouuu we grow lots of flowers in our yards so it's hard to pick but if i had to rank them:
  1. peonies
  2. lily of the valley
  3. tulips
my mom always makes me take a bunch of pictures of our peonies when they're in season and we gift them to our neighbour too!

Narrowing down to just 3 plants/flowers is hard! These are the first 3 that came to mind for me:

1. Angel Trumpets... cool looking dudes, though apparently super poisonous. Respect
1713672364005.png

2. Tulips... just wanna chill in a field of tulips
1713672242547.png

3. Frogbit (or probably any floating aquatic plant)... aquatic plants are so neat and I think frogbit is especially charming
1713672117841.png

how fun! as a total plant nerd this is my dream thread. i decided to limit myself to two 'categories' of plants--houseplants and garden plants. though, i could do a whole section on succulents, cacti, annuals, etc... but i'll keep it simple.

also none of these photos are mine, just off google. thought it could help for people who aren't familiar with certain plants :)

houseplants:
1. calatheas in general but specifically this beauty below. i find the patterning on the leaves so beautiful and mesmerizing. some day i will have one--though probably not any day soon because my cat would eat it.
1713672241160.jpeg

2. hoyas in general again but i am a huge fan of the hoya carnosa compacta. the leaves are really unique and the blooms are very romantic
1713672405354.jpeg
1713672423768.jpeg

3. polka dot begonia--a picture is worth a thousand words.
1713672539696.jpeg

now for some outdoor plants:

1. irises - there's so many types and colors and i love all of them~
1713672933438.jpeg

2. spruges/euphorbia, such a pretty chartreuse color and up close the flowers look like they're from another planet.
1713672695930.jpeg
1713672753726.jpeg

3. nicotiana blooms :) there's so many different shades and i love the star shape they make.
1713672620122.jpeg

I’m not much of a plant person but I like some that my mom grows. I always loved her lily of the valleys because how they’re shaped; I always thought they were pretty. I also like the lilacs my mom grows; they have a pretty scent and color. There is another flower that my mom grows that was from her mom’s garden I think, but off hand I don’t know what it is called (too late to ask her since it is 4:27 am here 😅).

It took me a while to think of my three, and in no particular order, they are...

Tillandsia
Tillandsia_argentea.jpg

They're also known as "air plants" because they get their nutrients from the air. A long time ago we were assigned to take care of one in class and we had to keep track of its health. They're low-maintenance plants, so I could see why chose that for us. I remember touching my plant's leaves (or whatever they're called) in fascination. Maybe I'll get another one sometime.

Windflower
61Y1OyqoNAL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

They were the native flora in my ACNH island and I first heard of them from this game, so they grew on me after a while. IMO I think they match perfectly with my nature-ridden "theme". Also, the colors pop! The blue windflowers are my favorite.

Venus flytrap
venus_flytrap_01_0.jpg

A plant that moves its leaves to consume flies...you gotta love 'em! I could really use one of those at home, but they're an endangered species, so...I can't. They're still cool, though.

Honorable Mention: Any bonsai plant
711px-Eurya%2C_1970-2007.jpg

I know "bonsai" can refer to the technique of shaping a plant to look like a small tree or the modified plant itself but I wanted to put this here because I can barely describe in words how awesome they are beyond a single utterance...wowzers!

Images are from the internet.

oooo narrowing it to 3 is rough! I don’t really have houseplants bc of my cats so I’m sticking to flowers

1. Yoshino cherry blossoms
1713711670307.jpeg

2. Lavender (also love the scent!!)
1713710999139.jpeg

3. Forsythia - I just love how vibrantly yellow it is
1713710899656.jpeg

special shoutout to tulips & daisies
1713711097093.jpeg

1713711185361.jpeg

1. azorinas
Azorina_vidalii0.jpg

2. camelias
licensed-image

3. trailing fuchsias
Fuchsia-Swingtime4.jpg

honorable mentions: skeleton flowers, cherry blossoms and nerine flowers (although the photo of this one might be a spider lily.. idk)
1713716903054.png
1713716971692.png
1713716756395.png

Last edited:
1. ivy - i really love seeing ivy that grows on trees or ivy growing up on the outside of houses. love trailing ivy plants so much ;u;

1713779852732.png

2. spider plants!! love the baby ones that grow. gives me a seaweed vibe

1713780368318.png

3. golden pothos. the colours, what a slay

1713781028998.png

flowers-wise, i just really love purple pansies + funky purple daisies

1713781162768.png
1713781883527.png

rosebush-orange-sensation.jpg

Roses- I've been around roses since I was a kid.The orange ones are my favorite but I like all of the colors.

Carnegiea_gigantea_in_Saguaro_Na.jpg
sc001218d9.jpg

Saguaro cactus-The Sonoran desert is the only place in the world where the saguaro cactus grows.These things get really big and are very heavy so don't park your car next to one.....and welcome to Arizona!

dreamstime_m_67564462-e149992178.jpg

Joshua tree-Yep,this is an actual tree,not just a U2 album.The Joshua Tree Parkway is on U.S. Route 93 and I've always liked driving through it on the way to Las Vegas.Oh by the way,that little dirt road is not the 93 but it's only a bit less narrow than the actual highway.

I am a sunflower girly through and through. They have been my favourite flower ever since I planted one and got to bring it home way back in kindergarten!! I love that they are easy to grow and sturdy plants - I definitely do  not have a green thumb but can still grow these guys.

I also really love hydrangeas and how they grow in those big clusters. I think they are so pretty and I love how much colour they give to gardens.

On the smaller end of the spectrum I love little snowdrops!! They bloom in our yard at work and it's always so much fun seeing them come up after the snow goes away. They're one of the first signs of spring and the kids are always excited to see them!

That is hard. There are like 1000s of plants out there...

I really love sunflowers, willow trees are cool, and I saw a picture a couple of days ago of a plant called flying goldfish that looks cool. The flowers look like axolotls to me.
I have some light purple Flox starting to overflow a pot outside. Those are probably my favorite ground cover.
Cacti and succulents are probably the coolest indoor plants though. Like the Monilaria obconica that look like bunny ears. If my house wasn't a cave, I would probably have some cacti and succulents indoors. I use to have some cacti when we lived somewhere else but my dogs one day decided it looked tasty.
Anubias which is an aquatic plant actually flowers underwater and it looks similar to a calla lily flower.
A plant I want in my aquarium is water wisteria. I guess it is a common plant but I like the way it looks and it feeds on both the water column and through its roots. I only have 3 types of plants in my aquarium right now and the one I like the most is Rotala Vietnam HrA. It gets a pinkish/reddish hue on top. The other two that exist in my aquarium are bucephalandra brownie and african water fern.
My spouse recently bought me a venus flytrap kit. Those plants can live outside in northern climates. They are native to the Carolinas in USA. We will see if they sprout.
Ferns are neat and so are fern trees.

Oh, you can make yummy things out of dandelion petals. I want to try making jelly and syrup from them someday. Pick them before you mow.

Back