What is your opinion on Long Distance Relationships?

Croconaw

アリゲイツ
Bells
Long distance relationships are commonly seen as being unsuccessful. People question how you can love someone without having met them. People believe long distance relationships are fake love.

Long distance relationships are actually great in my opinion. For one, the attraction is more than just physical. You actually appreciate the person’s personality. You can build the emotional attachment and not just focus on physical attraction. In my opinion, way too much importance is put on physical attraction these days. Also, the distance will make the time you spend in person much more valuable.

What do you think of Long Distance Relationships? Do you think they have potential? Do long distance relationships never work? What is your opinion on long distance relationships?

Last edited:
I believe they work if done properly, as I’ve known people in the past that have had them, and ended up meeting that person and getting married. I also agree that they are great, because you are more focused on the person’s personality rather than their appearance. A lot of them don’t work out for various reasons, but that doesn’t mean they cannot work. They just take time and commitment from both sides.

I mean aren't most all internet relationships long distance?

This is true. Unless you just happen to be getting online and talking to someone who is like, 30 minutes from you. In that case, it’s often hilarious to find out that you could have just met up and talked with that person in person.

I think they can work, but that I would never judge someone who couldn't make one work. I've never had personal experience with long distance romantic relationships, but I've had long distance best friendships, and that's worked pretty well. I think whether or not you can have a long distance relationship is just about what place in your life you are at- for some people, it hurts too much and/or it causes too much emotional distance, but some people seem to make it work.

Personally, I'd consider giving them a chance, although I would rather have a romantic relationship with someone who lived nearby.

I know of one person who met her partner over a forum, they got married and are having their third child now. So I guess it could work, but like any relationship it doesn't come without its challenges. I don't know jow I feel about romantic relationships online for myself though.

I mean as long as it isn't something dangerous like pedophilia or whatever, go on ahead. I've had long distance relationships before and they're pretty great.

My opinion? I would never do it. I couldn't because of my personality shortcomings. Admittedly, when it comes to romantic relationships, I am a shallow person.

A lot of my friends have been in LDRs. Not by internet initially, they all met in person. But of course they had to resort to the internet/texting. One of my friends spent the better part of a 7 year and counting relationship with his now wife in different countries. So, I think it can be a good thing because it can really express your devotion to each other.

Theyre not super cool, of course being physically near them is a lot better. But its not impossible. With enough dedication and stuff. My romantic relationships have always been online everyone i know irl are real stinky.

Edit 2020 happy new year new resolution and new thoughts: kinda still agree, ive just been more compatable with people online because its easier to share interests and stuff but i dont think i will e-date again

Last edited:
For one, the attraction is more than just physical. You actually appreciate the person’s personality. You can build the emotional attachment and not just focus on physical attraction. In my opinion, way too much importance is put on physical attraction these days. Also, the distance will make the time you spend in person much more valuable.

Just because a relationship isn't long distance doesn't mean it's only based on physical attraction, that you don't appreciate their personality and you don't build an emotional attachment. Are you saying that because they see each other often that this time isn't as valuable?
Your opinion seems biased - though it is an opinion none-the-less and thus I won't dispute how you feel. However I have a personal anecdote as a counter balance.

-I've been with my partner for 9 years, lived together for 6 but saw each other 3 times a week before then. Every waking moment with my partner, to me, is the most valuable thing on earth - nothing would make this time more valuable because I appreciate it so much. Our attraction has never been solely based on physical aspects. We have both gained and lost 6 stone each in the time we have been together. I wouldn't say neither of us are a 10 but I'd prefer my partner over any 10 in the world and I'm pretty confident he would say the same. We love each other for who we are and have a strong bond and emotional attachment but no long distance relationship played any part in that just two people working at a relationship.
Likewise, long distance relationships only work if the people involved are willing to make it work, just like a close distance relationship.

I am all for long distance relationships because I know they work out for people and if that is how someone chooses to find someone special to share their life with that's fantastic. We all have our likes and dislikes and if one thing works for someone - great! - but remember, that one thing doesn't work for everybody and it certainly doesn't mean we have less appreciation for our partners.

Last edited:
Personally, I think that a long distance relationship can work if both partners are willing to put in the time and effort needed, as well as the commitment. I've been with my boyfriend for just over a year and a half now and he only lives a five minute walk away from me, so for us it would be incredibly difficult to transition from such a short distance to a long distance relationship. I feel like I wouldn't be able to manage a long distance relationship because I just love spending time with my partner so much, and I love just being able to nap together or cuddle whilst watching TV. However, since I have no experience of being in a long distance relationship, I don't know exactly how I would deal with it.

I think it can work depending on the people involved. Physical attraction is not a thing for me so I could totally fall in love with someone just by talking to them online. The emotional bond is all that matters to me.

Last edited:
They can work if both people put effort into them. But I don't personally think they can work if they don't eventually meet up or live together. Most people can't be separate forever.

its hard and usually ends in breaking up
but sometimes its successful with enough effort from each side

Just because a relationship isn't long distance doesn't mean it's only based on physical attraction, that you don't appreciate their personality and you don't build an emotional attachment. Are you saying that because they see each other often that this time isn't as valuable?
Your opinion seems biased - though it is an opinion none-the-less and thus I won't dispute how you feel. However I have a personal anecdote as a counter balance.

-I've been with my partner for 9 years, lived together for 6 but saw each other 3 times a week before then. Every waking moment with my partner, to me, is the most valuable thing on earth - nothing would make this time more valuable because I appreciate it so much. Our attraction has never been solely based on physical aspects. We have both gained and lost 6 stone each in the time we have been together. I wouldn't say neither of us are a 10 but I'd prefer my partner over any 10 in the world and I'm pretty confident he would say the same. We love each other for who we are and have a strong bond and emotional attachment but no long distance relationship played any part in that just two people working at a relationship.
Like, long distance relationships only work if the people involved are willing to make it work, just like a close distance relationship.

I am all for long distance relationships because I know they work out for people and if that is how someone chooses to find someone special to share their life with that's fantastic. We all have our likes and dislikes and if one thing works for someone - great! - but remember, that one thing doesn't work for everybody and it certainly doesn't mean we have less appreciation for our partners.
I definitely didn?t mean for my post to come off as biased in any way. Relationships that are not long distance can definitely still work. I know many relationships that didn?t start online that worked out. My post was just more of my personal experience, rather than my personal opinion. I never wanted to seem like I was bashing all types of relationships that were not long distance, because all types of relationships have potential.

Online does give you an opportunity to build emotional attachment, but that does not make it impossible if your relationship isn?t long distance. I agree that long distance relationships do work out. They do have a chance, just like any other type of relationship. I definitely support relationships that do start with two people in person because it can definitely still be true love. I certainly did not want to bash anyone with anything that was mentioned in the original post, and I want to apologize if it seemed that way.

I have less experience with relationships that are not long distance as all of the girls I have dated have been long distance. I have met them all online whether it be on an online forum, a dating site, or a social media platform. All relationships definitely have potential in my opinion.

Well, to be honest, it doesn't work (or didn't work) for me because I'm used to having relationships with physical contact not because I only tend to be attracted physically but I feel more secure if they're near me and physically present. I also like to see them face to face so I could tell if they're genuine. I mean it's also kind of big deal to me if I could hold their hands, cuddle and hug them once in awhile lol. I'm really affectionate and even try to translate it when talking to people in front of the computer but eh, I still feel like something is missing.

I think an ldr can work if it both parties equally commit to the time and effort. In my experience, I probably won't do it again.

I was in a ldr for a few years with someone from another country and we have actually met, thinking things will work out but after that the communication just slowly went sparse. It was usually me making the communication and I eventually had enough so I ended it mostly bc it wasn't going anywhere, and I felt much more happier in myself since it was making me depressed.

Now I'm happy and engaged with someone else (not in an ldr).

However I've known others who've had better experiences, and some still in a ldr after about 7ish years, so yeah.

Last edited:
They work, but they can be very painful.
My Mom and Dad met on a party, that was near my Moms home, but 10 hours away from my Dads home.
That means, before they could finally move together, they had a long distance relationship for about 5 years.
And there wasn't the option of Skypecalls, Calling every day in general without exploding phone bills, etc.
The way they stayed in contact? Letters. And yet, they ended up being married for about 25 years!

Also, I had 2 long distance relationships. One I was too young, I was only 12 years old, yet I met him
every now and then and really enjoyed the time. At this time I didn't knew though why I always randomly
started hating him to the point that I thought breaking up it the best (I haver Borderline, so it makes me
hate someone I love randomly, didn't knew it at this time so I thought it's because of the long distance, etc.)

Now, I have my current boyfriend. He is from France, I am from Germany. We had a long distance relationship
for a few month, before I decided to move to him. Now we are 4 years and 2 month together.
So I would say, yes it can work and it's a good thing that it is way more easy to have one nowadays than
in the past. I can't imagine how hard it must've been for my parents to hold for so long, without videochat
or what so ever.

Short: It always depends on the people, how serious they mean it, if they think they can handle the stress
(it is a lot of stress and also pain to be away from the person you truely love), and so on :)

Back