• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What is "norm/normal-core"?

Brookie

💎 We don't talk about Bruno-no-no-no 💎
Bells
Switch
1118-4461-2529
White Pansy
White Cosmos
December Birthstone (Turquoise)
Purple Violet
April Birthstone (Diamond)
Purple Violet
White Lily
ど
Winter Mittens
Winter Mittens
What does it mean? Does it mean like no theme at all, but still fully decorated? Just a simple town?

Thanks for all your replies!

Thats my theme i think, at lesst, 🧐.

As i understood its not a theme per say, its just means that your island resembles a real life area or town. Its like when you walk that island and you think 💭 “ ah, this reminds me a bit if Real life somewhere or looks similar to a towns or so”. Its just a more realistic representation of real life i guess

you know what i mean ?

I’ve never heard the term (do we just add “core” on to everything now??) but I agree with both previous posts that it sounds like an unthemed Island.

I’d classify my Island this way too. Design themes don’t really appeal to me, because I find them too limiting.

I thought it meant a simple town inspired by previous titles like wild world and the original. Like a forest town with small town amenities, so kinda like a tiny bit of everything?
But if it's just keeping it like a realistic town then that's my favorite core lol

I usually call my island "Simple" I don't have a theme going for it so I am not sure where people are getting this so called "norm core" it doesn't sound all that great. I am one of those people who doesn't care about themes and doesn't try to take designing too seriously. I just make what stands out to me.

From what I've seen, it's pretty much just how everyones town looked when the game first came out in March. very simplified, diy drop off area, very "basic" villagers, etc. No real theme like cottagecore or kidcore. Just a bunch of people having fun and experimenting.

From what I've seen, it's pretty much just how everyones town looked when the game first came out in March. very simplified, diy drop off area, very "basic" villagers, etc. No real theme like cottagecore or kidcore. Just a bunch of people having fun and experimenting.
This yes! It's trying to recreate the nostalgia from march. It's a lot of old trends before all the cores started popping up, like using the in game paths, indeed DIY drop off areas, neighborhood areas, etc. Ohhhhh right and stuff like rainbow gardens

Wow, so not having a particular theme is also a kind of -core.
This is ridiculous. We've reached a new, embarrassing low.
Can we stop with the cores already? Just call it what it is: simple. Or minimalist. Or rural. Or natural.
There are literally so many words to describe a theme. Please. Use them.

(This isn't directed at anybody, btw. I'm just a bit peeved by -cores in general. )

Last edited:
i love the rural look, it's what i'm going for on my island. i just like the natural look so much. not knocking those who go for complex builds, they're AMAZING, but i don't have the talents to design every little corner of my island, lol.

Wow, so not having a particular theme is also a kind of -core.
This is ridiculous. We've reached a new, embarrassing low.
Can we stop with the cores already? Just call it what it is: simple. Or minimalist. Or rural. Or natural.
There are literally so many words to describe a theme. Please. Use them.

(This isn't directed at anybody, btw. I'm just a bit peeved by -cores in general. )
I agree with this tbh. Cores are overused and everything is called this core or that core. However the problem/reason for this is that ‘-core’ has been misused. Core means a theme condensed and overdone to the point that it’s ridiculous. So a lot of islands aren’t really ‘core’ at all, they’re just themed. Same goes with normcore. Most islands simply would count as themeless. What normcore would *actually* be would be like a parody of what everyone did in the beginning of the game. So again, themed to the max. Think tree orchards, villager neighborhood, diy area, in game paths, rainbow gardens, excavation sites, Raymond and Sherb and stuff, alllll the trends in one as a vibe of it’s own. Which is honestly kinda fun to visit

Oh no no no, now that won’t do at all!
It’s simplecore, minimalcore—or minicore, how absolutely darling!—ruralcore and naturalcore. Also, the complete absence of any -core is just “Core”. Capitalized.

Why do we have to add "core" after everything nowadays?
I feel like people are just trying to call "Cores' because they want to make their island stand out. I keep saying this every time. This game was not meant to be like competition. Its everyday I see people saying "Oh why does my island look this bad" or "Oh this island looks better than mine" I really wish people would just make what they feel stands out to them rather than just compare their islands to others. Trust me I used to be like that last year, but now I learned not to do that so often.

“Core” describes the center of an aesthetic, that’s why players add it to the end of their island theme. Idk why people are making such a big deal out of such a tiny thing. It’s not so deep it should be bothering you.

My island is a Hollycore. I didn't even know its exist until yesterday😃. (Yes, i got way too much holly bushes, but i really like them. ☺️)
Anyways, its just a normal little town.
Normcore means its like an irl town.
The "core" is kind of an accessory. Normcore sounds better than normal or irl like town, but it doesn't mean ur island looks better or worse than others. Simply different kind of design.

This it the first time I heard this term. Does this just mean it looks like the common AC village from back in the day?

Maybe I'm just not with the times, but what is with adding core to everything now? It just seems pretentious.

The term as I understand it means that they have an island that you might expect from a more casual player, not overly decorated, design concepts that are very popular on social media or were popular around last summer and typically there's no set theme for the island.

As for when everything became a core, I have no idea! I took a long break from the game and that seems to be the popular way to describe themes now.

I Thought a Normcore island was more like A Typical Island; with Villager houses that have Backyards & Front yards; Road Patterns, etc. . .

basically taking influence from Really stereotypically Normal IRL Towns

I think it’s just a relatively simply decorated island, like the kind of stuff we saw in update trailers for the game. Just with the ‘basic’ things like villager gardens, parks, flower gardens, campsite, beach towels on the beach - basically what I think the majority of islands look like, especially for people who only have one.

Back