• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

What do you use? Art noob inquiries.

iamnothyper

D E S U
Bells
Hi!

I know there have been a lot of threads like this but I'm guessing they are pretty outdated? I'd like to start (trying) to draw and I was wondering what the artists here on TBT use.

What tablets/software do you guys use/recommend?

Should I splurge on a tablet or start with the good paper/pencil first?

Any good tuts?

Last edited:
I use the wacom intuos4 and sometimes the cintiq.
I use paint tool sai and photoshop CS6.
many tutorials that i like are provided on my dA.

i would not invest in a tablet if you aren't used to drawing on paper or pencil. if you've feel like you're ready to jump into digital art then go for it.

hope that helps! :)

-gamzee

i use a bamboo create tablet,but unfortunately the driver is messed up so i cant use it anymore :/
i'd recommend paint tool SAI,its a super popular program.

I use no.2 pencil, gel pens, Twistable colored crayon pencil thingies, sometimes pastels and colored pencils. You may want to use clear paper and thin erasers for sketches . Try tracing your image in your head first, make changes, and stroke with pen. And , yes, it's silly, but I like holding my pinky up while using pen, since my fingers with ink are like pigs in mud. Hope this helped! I'm not the best artist... Oh, and if you're good at paper, you might consider tablets. But only with those pen things. Not paint on a Mac.... /:(

I am not the best artist, but I have used a lot of different materials and gotten used to them. I've used tablets, actual touch screen tablets, mouse click paint programs, charcoal, colored pencils, markers, graphite, paints, other artsy things, and lately, I've been trying to get good with traditional pen and ink, which is what my stuff for TBT has been done in (mostly). I would recommend experimenting and playing with all kinds of tools, if you're wanting to explore! It's fun, as long as you're okay with not always being good at it.

i have both a bamboo create tablet but thats unopened since im still using my bamboo fun. i use sai, as you know. photoshop is 2hard4me qq
oh, and i would reccommend starting with pencil and paper first. that was how i drew before i got my tablet.

I'm actually a really good artist on paper, but not so good on the computer.
I only use photoshop because I don't have a tablet and I've been using the program for nearly 7 years.
So I feel most comfortable with it.

I wish I had enough money for a silly tablet.

Hey, we can be art noobz together! *high five*
But i have a question to any of you artist out there if thats okay. .. For the past 5-4 months i've been using my ipad to draw digitally with sketchbook pro. However i really want to update to an actual drawing tablet, preferably one with paint tool sai. At the moment I have around 200$ in my bank. Which exactly bamboo tablet are we talking about and what would the total cost be so i can save up?

if you've got $200 dollars in the bank i'd invest in a intuos4 tbh

Wacom bamboo tablet, but I'd start on paper and pencil first (lol I should of waited longer before I got mine x: )

I've tried fire alpaca, and it's okay but idk it doesn't have the right feel for me so I use sai

btw! reasons why I use firealpaca instead of sai, even though sai is superior in all apsects...
1. I have a mac and I don't want to run a mirror/windows thing on my mac and then get sai (which technically, you should be paying for...)
2. firealpaca is free, has really good pressure sensitivity for your tools, and is easy to use. combine with GIMP's gif capabilities and you have a small, freeware studio for reallly basic arts.

I'm not the best artist at all, and my drawing tablet is ancient. I have an iPad that I use for school and work, and I use an app called Procreate on there that I use to draw.

I've heard lots of good things about the wacom bamboo tablets and intuos. I have also heard that Paint Tool SAI is better than Photoshop if you're just interested in painting and not a lot of photo editing. I have only ever used PS though for some photo editing, so I can't give my own opinion on Paint Tool SAI.

I have a cintiq for work, private I have also a bamboo. I use both for both, tho :p who wants to arrest me, huh.
Nah what I'm trying to say, as long as your tablet is a wacom you can't go wrong.
I always had Wacom for digital art and I draw since almost 9 years on them now. It never mattered to me if it was a very expensive Intuos or a cheap Bamboo!

For the drawing program, I use Manga Studio 5 for almost all my art. Then I have Photoshop and Sai. But to be honest, as good as Sai is, it lacks the control I need over a lot stuff. Although, I recommend it to everyone who is unsure about the program they want to use. Use Sai instead Photoshop. A lot cheaper and the drawing quality is better and crispier.

Manga Studio 5 is a mixture of Sai and Photoshop, so if you don't need certain stuff it would make no sense to buy it, even though it's not expensive either.

Wow don't ask me ever about this kind of stuff >w<; I won't stop rambling!

I use an outdated ver. of GIMP (free) on my 2009 (OS X 10.5) </3 Mac and have a Bamboo tablet from 2008(?) that I use. My set up is pretty derpy but I somehow manage to scrape by ^^;;

Anyone can draw! So you should def. pick it up if you've been thinking about it! :)
As others mentioned, if you're new to drawing I recommend pencil/paper first, it's cheap and there's no learning curve~

thanks guys ^^
i'll work on that pen and paper. i may post some things up in the future if any of you would like to critique, red-line
xD but that wont be for a loooong while~

Back