• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

what do you think is the right name for ACGC?

RocketBoo

Wanderer of the planes of existence
Bells
Switch
4447-3341-9807
Matryoshka Doll
i've seen people call the game ACPG (animal crossing: population: growing!) as opposed to ACGC. (animal crossing gamecube) so which do you think is the correct name? ACGC probably stems from the "population: growing!" sign below the logo being microscopic
PG.jpg
and the title screen not featuring it. but what do you think?

I just call it Animal Crossing personally, I don't consider the "population growing" part of the title. I usually refer to the game in written text as AC:GCN for Animal Crossing Gamecube :)

I've always called it some variation of Animal Crossing Gamecube. I viewed the Population Growing sign as just a quirky little thing like how some towns in real life will list their population. It seemed more aesthetic to me than an addition to the title. But as long as I know what game people are referring to, I don't care how others use it.

I have always called it Animal Crossing. I had no idea it was being called other names.

i always went with just animal crossing gamecube, most self-explanatory name to me.

honestly i still just wish the series kept the animal forest name worldwide, it sounds pretty cute tbh.

I just called it animal crossing. I didn't know it had other names and I also don't think the population growing sign is a part of the title, but just an added little thing since the population is constantly growing

As far as I know (because I might be wrong), the "Population growing" is certainly part of the title, like it's "New Leaf" and all the others. The only difference is that while Wild World, City Folk and etc. were brand new games, the PG was more like a remaster. The original game was for the N64, and then they ported it to the Game Cube, but it's still basically the same game with some improving tweaks here and there to make it more appealing to the western public.
However, considering that this was the first game coming out of Japan, I find it unnecessary to add the subtitle. I call it ACGC just to separate that specific game installment from the whole franchise. Besides, everyone knows what a GC is, but very few actually know about the PG thing, so it's simply easier.

I just go with Population: Growing. Keep in mind that this N64 game had three GC ports, which have more than a few minor differences to help separate them. AF+, AC, and AFe+, respectively. When people mention AC:GC, they're mostly referring to the NA version, anyway, since the majority of Westerners are familiar with it.

I say Population Growing too. It's quicker than "the original Animal Crossing", and it's the subtitle on the English box.

I say Animal Crossing Gamecube. I used to say Animal Crossing Population Growing but you are right, its not on the title screen so I think it was just a little extra flair given to the box.

The right name is just Animal Crossing (or Animal Crossing (GCN) if you really feel the need to differentiate it from the other games). "Population Growing" is factually wrong, since it's only part of the art and meant as a cutesy "hey, the population of your Animal Crossing town grows!" thing and is never used as part of the name of the game. It's not used in-game, it's not on the game disc, and it's not even on the side of the box where the name is!

I say Animal Crossing: Population Growing. It doesn’t really matter to me if it’s right or wrong. I don’t care what people call it. Both names are referencing the same game.

i’ve always just called it “animal crossing for the gamecube” or “the original animal crossing”. 😅

I mean when I talk about it with people, it's normally online so I just type out Animal Crossing or AC. It gets the point across which one you're referring to since the other games we use abbreviations like WW, CF, NL, and NH.

I think people calling it Population Growing is a way to differentiate it from the other games rather than the game’s official subtitle.

Personally, I hate calling it that (to the point I hope Nintendo pull an Xbox and use it for another game), so I either call it “the original”, “the GameCube game” or the very punchy “ACGC”, but NEVER Population Growing.

I consider it to be just "Animal Crossing". I only add Gamecube on the end to clarify that I mean the first international game in the series and not the series as a whole.

I don't consider Population Growing as it's name as it's more meant to be a slogan to catch your eye than it's actual name, but I'm fine with people who call it that even if I don't.

I’ve always called it Animal Crossing GCN. The ‘Population: Growing!’ line was never used in any of the advertising.

>The ‘Population: Growing!’ line was never used in any of the advertising.

It wasn't, but that was because there were no other English Animal Crossing games at the time, so they didn't need a distinguishing subtitle.

Meanwhile, "Population Growing" (term for the English version of +) and e+ are both "Animal Crossing GCN", so that term becomes ambiguous if you've played e+.

Also, it should be NGC (Nintendo GameCube) and not GCN (GameCube Nintendo). Why does Nintendo insist on referring to it as "GCN"?

Back