• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What are your thoughts on the new rise of modding in ACNH?

Dork

Bells
Togepi Easter Egg
Blue Balloon
Ice Cream Swirl (TBT Beach Party)
Modding in ACNH isn’t new, but it hasn’t been as popular until recently! More and more youtubers and others in the community are modding their switches in order to get new items and features and so on.

Modding has allowed for many things such as reskinning models in order to get new items such as strawberries, lemon trees, items from hhp, newly designed items, etc.

What are your thoughts on this?

I would love it if it was easier to do. Right now it’s too hard for me to understand modding without accidentally breaking my game. I don’t mind it at all though.

I’ve played other games where I’ve played using mods and I loved them. I don’t remember ever playing a game of The Sims without some sort of mod
(clothing mods, eye mods, hairstyles, etc).

If it didn’t cause any harm to my game or other people’s game, I think it would be nice to have more functions or items added. It’s a nice options since Nintendo isn’t giving out anymore updates.

I have mixed feelings. I probably won’t risk my switch or cloud save to do it, but I really don’t care if other people do it. Just don’t harm other people’s save files and i don’t care.

I know most people get offended over it and think it’s cheating but I don’t have the time or energy to tell someone how to play a game. You bought it so you do you.

I wouldn't do it myself, but I have no problem with others doing it. I used to mod Smash Bros Brawl all the time, it really made the game so much more fun to play as other characters!

I was contemplating on modding my old New Leaf game as well, but that was some time ago.

I don’t mind it but I wouldn’t do it myself. That’s pretty much how I feel about a lot of things, lol. I used to mod and hack Mario Kart Wii. It makes things more interesting, I suppose.

It's great! I love seeing how creative people get with modding, and I remember seeing modded towns in NL and thinking they were so cool. Nintendo makes it so difficult though which is quite a bummer, like others have mentioned I love the modding community other games create, like SDV. If you love something, why not let your consumers make it even better, y'know?

I enjoy watching videos on it because it bring new creative aspects to an already creative game! Like others have said, I probably wouldn't do it myself out of fear of breaking my switch, but it's interesting to see what new ideas people come up with.

Back in the day I use to mod my ACNL town, somehow as a early teen I was intrigued enough to follow basic instructions via different websites and would only use it to put trees and such in water and such. However, I haven't revisited my ACNL town in like years (?) and have no desire to try and attempt to mod ACNH (#lazygang)

I didn’t know this was becoming more trendy in the ACNH community!
I personally wouldn’t attempt it myself for a lot of reasons; I’m not very “programming” savvy so I feel I’d just be very lost trying to do something like that lol
I’d also of course be terrified of breaking my very expensive Switch and accompanying ACNH game that I’ve already invested way too much time into 😅😅😂
And thirdly I’d be scared of Nintendo bricking my Switch for “hacking” if they found out (it’s happened to others before!)

But if others want to do it? Go for it! It’s not like Nintendo is going to update the game anymore (I can’t really blame them too much though, COVID was tough on everyone), and fans are always proving themselves to be very creative and passionate 😊
As long as Nintendo aren’t going to be butts about it I don’t see an issue!

I absolutely love seeing what people come up with! I wouldn't do it myself currently since my current Switch isn't moddable easily, but someday I might try it if I get an older Switch that can be modded. I follow one Youtuber who mods and makes custom villagers and stuff, and my favorite thing he made (which was a joke, but still hilarious) was a Home Depot Duck. His name was Home Depot Duck.
1661553724570.png

i think it’s cool but i won’t do it myself since im afraid my switch is going to get bricked. that’s the same reason why i don’t mod my new leaf file.

I saw a post on twitter about someone showing off their stone bridge with moss. I am pretty sure that is not available in game and was a mod. It looks amazing. Modders are the ones that fixed games like Fallout because Bethesda was too lazy to fix the issues themselves.

Modders without malicious intent are awesome. They do what the dev team failed to do. I wouldn't mod my own game simply because I have no knowledge and am certain I would muck things up somehow.

But seeing a moss covered bridge? That is amazing. It shows how passionate the people playing the game are when they create more and give the game life when during the pandemic Nintendo just didn't give a flying flip. They starved us with tiny drops of water.

nintendo won't brick your switch for hacking (legal issues in doing that), but you can def get banned from online play if someone reports you or you're caught cheating! that said, you can definitely brick it yourself and that's no fun for sure

I enjoy watching videos on it because it bring new creative aspects to an already creative game! Like others have said, I probably wouldn't do it myself out of fear of breaking my switch, but it's interesting to see what new ideas people come up with.

Back in the day I use to mod my ACNL town, somehow as a early teen I was intrigued enough to follow basic instructions via different websites and would only use it to put trees and such in water and such. However, I haven't revisited my ACNL town in like years (?) and have no desire to try and attempt to mod ACNH (#lazygang)
That's pretty cool! I actually never modded any of my games, but I learned how to mod my 3ds xl so that I could record video/audio directly from the 3ds. The only other way to do that was with capture cards, but those were insanely expensive at the time (and probably still are) so I did some research, watched a lot of tutorials, and managed to do it myself.

All just so I could record lol oof.

nintendo won't brick your switch for hacking (legal issues in doing that), but you can def get banned from online play if someone reports you or you're caught cheating! that said, you can definitely brick it yourself and that's no fun for sure
Yeah I know during the NL days that people were getting banned left and right when people would go over and see their 'hacked' DA. I am sure people report NH DA in the same way. I think it is silly to volunteer to police for a multimillionaire dollar company if what they are doing is harmless.

i thought i’d throw in my own opinion even since i made the post!

i always wanted to learn to hack in acnl but never got around to it because i was younger and not tech savvy (still am not lol)

modding is such a big part of so many mainstream video games like stardew valley, minecraft, and more! steam has a whole system build around mods too. i think it’s a shame that nintendo never embraced that and likely never will.

i love seeing modders but i don’t think i could do it because i have a switch lite, and can’t afford a whole other switch.

admittedly, and very stupidly, it does make me enjoy my own unmodded game less. i know it’s probably an unpopular opinion, but with how tedious it is to do anything in acnh, it kinda sucks knowing there would be a faster way to do it. knowing that others are terraforming and can spawn hard to get items and even villagers makes me wish i could too. if i had a modded switch and all i could do was speed up terraforming animations id be happy tbh. the cool aesthetic aspects of it also make me a bit envious since they have so much more freedom to make an island of a specific theme, but not as much as the quality of life stuff.

have fun modders!!!

That's pretty cool! I actually never modded any of my games, but I learned how to mod my 3ds xl so that I could record video/audio directly from the 3ds. The only other way to do that was with capture cards, but those were insanely expensive at the time (and probably still are) so I did some research, watched a lot of tutorials, and managed to do it myself.

All just so I could record lol oof.
Hey, I don't mean to veer the thread off topic, but does recording video/audio directly from the 3DS mirror it to your computer? I was thinking of doing something like this to my 3DS so I could record some Youtube videos, but the capture card I have unfortunately doesn't work with a 3DS, I don't think :(

I'm not a fan of mods in general, not even for a game like Minecraft.

I can understand why people like mods though, and I can see why some people might want to mod ACNH. Would be cool if Nintendo modded ACNH 🥴

I think modding is very cool! People can come up with very cool things!!! They can also make things much simpler and quicker, which is nice for those who just wanna design first and foremost. I'd mod just for the option to do so... If I had the energy and also wasn't a coward.

I really like seeing how creative people can be. I wouldn’t do it myself since I would probably mess it up and don’t want to take the risk. If I ever did I would change flower colors and make it so I could have a bridge I can walk under and not need a river. I saw these flowers on twitter recently and would love them .

E99317E2-8BA3-47A3-A3E9-BE55FC091436.jpeg

Back