• TBT World Championship is here! Put your gaming skills to the test in many different games either playable on Nintendo Switch or directly in your browser. For more information, get started in the new Welcome to The Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread, which will explain how to opt-in and join a team.

what are your favorite names?

Crash

spooky
Bells
Spirit Candy: Wix
Black Feather
Black Feather
Black Feather
Black Feather
Black Feather
i write a lot and make up a ton of characters, and I'm always on the lookout for names since I'm horrible at coming up with any off the top of my head. so im really curious what everyone's favorite names are so I can possibly steal them in the future :)

I've always liked unique names -- nothing extreme, but my real name is so common that I had 4-5 girls in my grade with the same one. i always hated that and decided if/when I have kids, they'll have at least somewhat uncommon names.
my favorites for girls: ivy, hazel, raina, violet, nova
my favorites for boys: luke, oliver, aiden, alexander, wesley

girls: andrea, kaylee, maddie, anna, daniella

boys: mason, alexander, joseph

I love the name Astrid for a girl. c: Haven't thought much about other ones, but that has to be my favorite girl name.
Also, never thought about favorite boy names, but I do like the sound of 'Lance' (I have a classmate named that and that's when I realized his name has some kind of class) ^^

Girls: Lillan, Ivy, Maeve, Namiko (which is actually my name)
Boys: Avery, Linus, Canaan, Okello, Kojo, Koyomi

Skye, Ariel, Emma, Alice, Stella

I don't like boy names. I had a son and we came up with the most random name in the hospital because we couldn't think of anything but girl's names beforehand. Absolutely terrifying. But people seem to like his name, so it's all good.

Girls: Freya, Nadia, Elouise, Sienna and Saffron

Boys: Gavin, Merrik, Milo and Montey

english/girls: Evelyn, Katherine, Olivia, Naomi
english/guys: Dylan, Oliver, Louis

arabic/girls: العنود، هند، شذى، خلود، جوهرة، البتول، جازي، فهدة، ربى، عاليا
arabic/guys: بدر، فهد، فيصل، راكان، زين، مشاري، مشعل

ye i obviously love arabic names lol they're all so beautiful and they all have a beautiful meaning like idk if all western have a meaning but all arabic names do like for example my name (dana) means like a big beautiful pearl almost even tho in turkish it means calf but lol

Female names: Lucy, Julia, Hayley, Christina(or any variation of that, Marie, Sophie

Male names: Ayush

Not gonna separate by gender because I think all names should be considered neutral but

Javelin, Noah, Lucille, Jet, Robin, Hero, Jasper, Prince, Emery, Cricket, Storm, and Quartz are all some really good names

Not gonna separate by gender because I think all names should be considered neutral but

Javelin, Noah, Lucille, Jet, Robin, Hero, Jasper, Prince, Emery, Cricket, Storm, and Quartz are all some really good names

What about Brittney? Should that be considered a boy's name too? xD

Yeah. the idea of gendering things that are really superficial like names is pointless and just creates more rules that aren't necessary.

Brittney just sounds girly, though. You don't think a boy named Brittney would get teased his whole life for having such a girly name? Now, I don't believe that you have to be extremely manly if you're a boy, and super girly if you're a girl, but names have been gender specific for just about as long as we've had them, with some exceptions. If you're someone that thinks names should be gender neutral, then give your kid a name that's already gender neutral. Don't impose your beliefs on your kid before they're even born and knowingly set them up to be ridiculed because you're trying to indirectly make a point to people that 1) won't understand what you're getting at without a thorough explanation and 2) who would still more than likely think it's ridiculous even after hearing why you did it.

Brittney just sounds girly, though. You don't think a boy named Brittney would get teased his whole life for having such a girly name? Now, I don't believe that you have to be extremely manly if you're a boy, and super girly if you're a girl, but names have been gender specific for just about as long as we've had them, with some exceptions. If you're someone that thinks names should be gender neutral, then give your kid a name that's already gender neutral. Don't impose your beliefs on your kid before they're even born and knowingly set them up to be ridiculed because you're trying to indirectly make a point to people that 1) won't understand what you're getting at without a thorough explanation and 2) who would still more than likely think it's ridiculous even after hearing why you did it.

Why are you being so hostile??? I never ever said I was going to have a kid and use their name as a political statement, I don't even want kids, this thread is about names for fictional characters lol. I never once mentioned kids. I still don't believe in the gendering of names, but I think there are ways that we can fight gender stereotypes without using children as political statements.

TBH it seems like I'm getting picked on and having my words misread intentionally so I think I'm gonna stop replying after this. :(

Last edited:
I don't think I'll ever have children, but if I ever do, I believe I will call my girl Kate, Marion, or Lily. My boy would be Julian or Johnathan. I'd have a harder time picking names for boys than for girls.

Last edited:
Yeah. the idea of gendering things that are really superficial like names is pointless and just creates more rules that aren't necessary.

My name is Austin, and I'm a female. While its origin is actually female, it's typically only used as a male name now. It would be nice if all names were gender neutral, yes, but it can be confusing for other people. I can't say my name to somebody without them asking me multiple times if they heard me correctly... I've had my ID called fake and all kinds of other annoying things have happened because of my name. It doesn't really matter for stories, I guess, but when you have to live with it, it really sucks.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yup... I live it every day.

Last edited:
My name is Austin, and I'm a female. While its origin is actually female, it's typically onlyiused as a male name now. It would be nice if all names were gender neutral, yes, but it can be confusing for other people. I can't say my name to somebody without them asking me multiple times if they heard me correctly... I've had my ID called fake and all kinds of other annoying things have happened because of my name. It doesn't really matter for stories, I guess, but when you have to live with it, it really sucks.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yup... I live it every day.

And that's a big part of the reason why I want to fight gender stereotypes, no one should be accused of having a fake ID or have their name treated as confusing just because of their gender. I think Austin is a really cool name for anyone of any gender!! :)

And that's a big part of the reason why I want to fight gender stereotypes, no one should be accused of having a fake ID or have their name treated as confusing just because of their gender. I think Austin is a really cool name for anyone of any gender!! :)

Hopefully one day that will happen. I wanted to be trans as a kid, so back then I thought it was pretty cool. It just got increasingly more annoying after high school. I've even gotten job interviews and was denied the job because they thought I was a guy and not a girl (applying for heavy labor positions). That's actually really illegal.

I have met some girls with guy names like Spencer, Devon, Dylan and Billie. I also had a guy in my class named Courtney.

Back