• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What are some words that you used to mispronounce?

hmm, i can't think of anything off the top of my head.. BUT i'm from australia so we tend to say everything pretty weird

When I was little I pronounced "breakfast" "bep-kiss" until I was literally about 5. I'll never forget my sister taking me aside and breaking down the syllables to teach me so I'd stop embarrassing her.

I used to think Phoebe was pronounced "Foe-Bee", though it's actually "Fee-Bee". D:

probably not the only one but i would say

iNportant
coNfortable

I think I used to pronounce the "h" sound in herb...not sure.

Pretty much every word in the world, despite knowing a **** ton of words. I used to definitely mispronounce vehement (veh-he-ment).

^Yes same, dunno about your specific word though cause I never heard it lol.

But yeah everything that has the "oi" combination it I automatically pronounce in a French way lmao.

Up until about three months ago, I always used to mispronounce Uranus (yes exactly the way you are thinking I did) until I was reading about some Sailor Moon stuff and thought to myself "This can't actually be pronounced this way, right?" One minute of google searching later and I was put on the right track!

Up until about three months ago, I always used to mispronounce Uranus (yes exactly the way you are thinking I did) until I was reading about some Sailor Moon stuff and thought to myself "This can't actually be pronounced this way, right?" One minute of google searching later and I was put on the right track!

-ded- I don't think my favorite planet would be my butt XD

Also I probably always mispronounced "legit" as well. Haha yeah always thought the "g" was a g and not the "dj" sound.

i mispronounced notifications (i pronounced it like notifactions) for the longest time.

and a word i just figured out ive been pronouncing wrong this whole time is anathema; i pronounced it ana-THEE-ma until i figured out earlier today that its pronounced ah-NA-thema

Last edited:
dachshund. used to say it as "dash-hound" (for 15 years of my life, to be exact). found out a couple of months agot that it's "dox-hund"

dachshund. used to say it as "dash-hound" (for 15 years of my life, to be exact). found out a couple of months agot that it's "dox-hund"

yeah that's from german so i'm used to that one surprisingly :p

and we have a completely other word for that breed in swedish which might or might make sense at all so yeah. fun how things differ.

hyperbole is pronounced 'hi-per-bo-lee' but i thought it was pronounced hyperbowl

hyperbole is pronounced 'hi-per-bo-lee' but i thought it was pronounced hyperbowl
oh wow i mostly assume those are bowl rather than bolee because it's not spelled out.

I love that English is my 2nd language even though I probably pronounce all sorta stuff here so wrong :^)

oh wow i mostly assume those are bowl rather than bolee because it's not spelled out.

I love that English is my 2nd language even though I probably pronounce all sorta stuff here so wrong :^)

english is my first and only language and i can barely speak it no worries

english is my first and only language and i can barely speak it no worries

Let's make a group ;p

but yeah i have it was easier with german (even some portuguese because they have rules too smh engish)

one example would be "placebo"
said it literally like place-bow for the longest time... -_-

Last edited:
Back