• It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

What are some phrases you learned through other people saying it?

vel

xoxo
Bells
Dang, the title is long.

Anyways, ya know when you hang out with someone a lot or talk to them a lot and suddenly you form into them? Maybe I'm explaining it weird, but you start saying things or doing things they say.

Like I have a friend who I play League of Legends with and he says Spanish phrases a lot, and two weeks after the exposure I started using the Spanish phrases. Now I'm known for it, but I think it'll be interesting to see the pieces of others that you have inhaled into yourself.

My phrases are "dude" (maybe I'm just Californian, but I'm diddly darn sure I never said that for the first 3 years living here), "bro" (from some guys I was friend with), the Spanish phrases, (hola, amigo, compadre, madre, padre, etc.) ((I don't spell that **** right I just say it okay)), and more "Californian" phrases and words that I can't think of right now.

How about y'all?

I learned that "basura" --> "trash" so sometimes I say it now and no one knows what I mean
Honestly I never knew what "bae" or other terms like that were until my friends kept using them I still think it's kind of stupid

Last edited:
Most of my friends are angst-y trash so now I just say stuff like "rip", "get rekt", and "crippling depression" all the time as a response to just about anything. Funny thing is though once I started saying those around people my other (more normal) friends won't stop saying them now. Any other phrases I say regularly are too crude to write on here.

Also I do the Spanish phrases too because I live in Arizona and literally everyone here takes Spanish in school, unless you're me and you're the minority to take French. My whole friend group says por qu? all the freaking time for no reason and I started saying the French equivalent of it lol.

You always watch those typical youtube channels telling you to "smash that like button". My friend when he comes back from a long week at college calls me on the phone to talk. Then he goes off to go to sleep telling me that he has to "smash that sleep button". One time he came home and he got a new cat and I said to him, "I'm guessing you're going to smash that cat button".

Ever since I watched TheKingNappy's Storm Silver Egglocke I started saying "bruh" a lot. Lately I've also been saying "yooo" but not exactly sure where I got it from tbh

i start all the trends so nothing x

- - - Post Merge - - -

Dang, the title is long.

Anyways, ya know when you hang out with someone a lot or talk to them a lot and suddenly you form into them? Maybe I'm explaining it weird, but you start saying things or doing things they say.

Like I have a friend who I play League of Legends with and he says Spanish phrases a lot, and two weeks after the exposure I started using the Spanish phrases. Now I'm known for it, but I think it'll be interesting to see the pieces of others that you have inhaled into yourself.

My phrases are "dude" (maybe I'm just Californian, but I'm diddly darn sure I never said that for the first 3 years living here), "bro" (from some guys I was friend with), the Spanish phrases, (hola, amigo, compadre, madre, padre, etc.) ((I don't spell that **** right I just say it okay)), and more "Californian" phrases and words that I can't think of right now.

How about y'all?

who are you calling mother and father

- - - Post Merge - - -

...and where do u even use compadre

Mei when she says Thanks it's Shienshi or something like that
I now know thanks in chinese

Last edited:
I can't think of any phrases but I do pick up other people's tone of voice and general way of speaking very easily instead. It's kind of annoying. Sometimes my way of speaking feels like nothing more than a combination of things I've picked up from other people.

My friends sometimes say Korean words to each other which I've managed to pick up from them despite the fact I know very little about Korea. :') Which is kind of cool! They've also picked up on some slang I use that's very specific to the area where I live which I did not realise until recently... So now I get made fun of for it lol

A lot of those "I'm only saying it ironically" words and phrases quickly become part of my un-ironic, everyday vocab. One specific phrase that I can think of is from Game Grumps--Done-yun rings. It's just hilarious!

so many. My best friends and classmates are dank meme trash and so am i also some spanish because #cuban

-callate la boca (shut your mouth)
-ayyy lmao
-thats p dank
-thats a knee slapper

who are you calling mother and father
...and where do u even use compadre

my parents? who else would i-

and i guess compadre in english means friend so i guess i've been using the english version, i just searched it up and that is not what i thought it means in spanish whoops

i take japanese at school so i really don't know my ****

I have a group of European friends, most are from Malta while another is in the Netherlands. Occasionally we share crude jokes or phrases so I've picked up a few Maltese sayings and single Dutch words that we throw into our conversations for some "spice". Obviously I'm not going to mention any specifics here for the sake of forum rules lmao.

I've also taught them some local Scots dialect in return, even though I never use it personally, they just find it comical to learn.

"Yo"

I spent a semester sitting next to a girl, in my first high school science class, who said "yo" all the time. And then I suddenly started saying it without realizing it at times. The first time my mom heard me say "yo", she was like WTF. Lol.

Literally everything I say has been picked up from other people. Meeting so many new people at uni has changed my vocabulary so much oh my god, we all say 'plosh' which doesn't really mean that much other than the sesh :D For some reason we all also speak in Irish accents when we get back from going out, it doesn't really have much of an explanation but there you go!

Back