• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Villagers you don’t understand the (un)popularity of

i never really liked fauna. i don't know why. maybe because i've never had her? also i'm not a big fan of sherb, audie, or or octavian. i think these are all fairly popular villagers.

unpopular villagers i wish people liked more are bonbon, bree, o'hare, and rooney! also i wish more people appreciated cyd, and was surprised when not many people liked him. ):

Popular villagers I don't really like :
Sherb : he looks a little bit stupid for me, sorry. I love his color, but he's not exceptionnal
Raymond : I have something against him. Seriously. He has originality, of course, but... I don't like his expression, maybe ?
Audie : I kinda hate her peppy face. For me she looks unbearable
Goldie : it's just a dog
Cherry : I'm sorry, I really dislike her look

Less popular villagers I really like :
Canberra : I've seen a sad comic about her, so my mind is affected, yes
Sprocket : I love his robot face !
Cousteau : I can't explain, I really really love his facial expression
Kidd : Same as before, I have no argument haha
Raddle : I find him really original and I like the color of his skin !
Sterling : I love middle age villagers, don't ask me why
Beardo : love his color, love his hair, he's chic
Lionel : he's chic too
Broccolo : I want him on my island. I really want him. I need him. He's the cutest villager I've ever seen !
Chester : I love his little cute face, come please

Quite weird, but still my choice !
I love when others like Raddle, he's got an amazing design for a frog really unique!

this might be a weird answer, but i don't understand the unpopularity of raymond. what i mean by this is the ridiculous amount of hate he gets, despite being a very popular villager as well. i think some people simply want to be contrarian and dislike whatever's popular to prove their elitism. he's not a dreamy of mine, but if people wanna shell out hundreds of NMT for him, let them. but i think it's fair to simply dislike raymond's design. i get it, not every villager is for everyone.

similarly, i really don't understand the hype for judy? i see how her pastel color palette could appeal to people but (and i've said this before too haha) her eyes look ridiculous. like kind of tacky?

i also don't really like cherry? i think the red and black combo is kind of bad on the eyes and the turquoise irises don't really help

edit: i do wish filbert and blanche were more popular! i think they're both such cute villagers that get overlooked a lot

I don't get Raymond, the more I look at him the more he reminds me of greasy guys in my computer science class who haven't showered in the past two weeks.

Okay why don't more people like Maddie, what's not to love she's adorable and so lovely to me,
And stop hating on my girl Agent S too, she's absolutely adorable . :mad:

Popular villagers I don't really like:
Marina: I'm sorry, I don't really like any villager that's super bright pink. (except for Flora) I'm not a huge fan of the octopuses in general. Also, her catchphrase grosses me out cause it kinda makes it sound like she's burping every time lmao

Unpopular villagers I really like:
Raddle: He's a poison dart frog that wears a mask because his skin is poisonous. That alone is super cool, but he's also a doctor (I think lol) and he has awesome colors.
Angus: Really cute for a bull, he has big eyes with eyelashes and he has a nice natural coloration. Derpy but cute. All American.
Maggie: I never hear anybody have or talk about her. She has such a cute face and I love her colors, she's a beautiful villager. Also, her entire theme is gardening so I feel like a lot of natural themed towns should have her! Definitely one of my favorites.
Hans: He's based on the abominable snowman/yeti. Yeah he's a gorilla, but he's really cool for one. Nice colors, would be a great winter villager.
Agnes: Another cute piggy. Mostly natural coloration. Ears go flop flop. What more do you need?
Teddy: He's a big brown bear that looks super cuddly. Definitely steals honey as a hobby. His name is Teddy... yeah. Maybe it's because he's a jock..?

Last edited:
I was stunned to discover that Frita is generally disliked. I adore her! I felt sad reading all the hate she got. #JUSTICE4FRITA

cc219cfd9452859f8690bb4a59964eb4.jpg

Omg I came across Alice today and was so surprised she wasn't more popular. Cute and fashionable.

Popularity
Pietro: That clown is seriously freaky!!
Coco: The blackness where eyes go...shudder
Judy: I LOVE bears, but I have a thing about her eyes...I've never really liked that style of eyes. It's a big turn off. Also not a fan of her coat colouring.
Julian: I mean, I don't like the horse models, so that is probably why I don't understand his appeal xD
Fauna: I gave her a chance and invited her on to my island. She's been here a while and I still don't understand the hype.

Unpopularity
Sydney: C'mon, it's Sydney!! She sings in the middle of the plaza and you just want to cuddle her for eternity!!
Chevre: She's not the most popular animal (though more popular than some), and I think her mouth is a little odd. But she is GORGEOUS and such a sweetheart!!!
Bunnie: She's so sweet!! When she was on my island, she use to sing with Sydney and Olive! I just wanted to cuddle her for eternity!
Olive: OMG She's the sweetest little cub!!!! Can I have her back!? xD

I dont understand why Broccolo isnt ever seen
Hes definitely the cutest mouse villager and hes so so sweet and hes amazing and i wuv him 🥺🖤
Like look at him-
1589828598134.png
1589828747106.png

this is just a personal opinion and by no means do i find it dumb that people like this villager, but i never understood why merengue is so popular. i get that themed villagers are exceptionally popular but... to me, she's just a pink rhino with a strawberry horn, and the rhinos in animal crossing have never appealed to me in general. again, people are free to love whatever characters they want, this is just how i feel personally.

i also didn't realize how popular lolly was until new horizons. i don't recall her being that popular in new leaf but then again, i wasn't very active in the acnl community so who knows. personally, i find punchy to be the cutest cat! i don't think lolly is ugly or anything, but i sincerely don't understand her popularity, at least over punchy and tangy.

as for unpopular characters, i don't understand why nana is in the lowest tier! i'm very surprised she's not more popular, especially with this trend of cutesy pink villagers being popular! >: do people think nana is ugly, or do not very many people know of her existence? either way, i find nana to be adorable and i hope she has a surge in popularity soon! i feel like more people would like her if they knew about her
dunno if someones responded to u yet but i can 100% tell you that lolly was MORE popular in nl than in nh. it was on some marshal level **** it was wild

i never got why people don't seem to like gayle all that much-she's never really in demand despite the fact that she's very similar to a lot of other pink villagers of a similar design. maybe it's cause she's an alligator?
agnes i've always thought was adorable, same with hazel. idk i just really like uchi/sisterly villagers lol
i also feel like the kangaroos in general should be more popular-maybe not the males, but the girls all have their joeys with them and thats adorable. mathilda is my favorite, personally. also draco is severely underrated

i dont get the appeal of marshal tbh-he just seems very boring design-wise to me. there's a lot of cuter smug villagers and squirrels.
i never got why people like rosie so much either. she just seems like a very "default" sort of design to me-not bad by any means but i don't understand why she's so popular.
i'm not a huge fan of any of the deer except erik (and he's a moose so,,) i don't know why. i think it's just not many of them have designs that appeal to me that much? like i like bam but thats about it

Last edited:
I like merengue she’s really cute and I like have a rhino in my town but she’s kind of bland otherwise. I’m also underwhelmed by her house. I would replace her with Agnes in a heartbeat if I could, but unfortunately I have to share my switch and they love her.

I don't understand why Cyrano and Rolf are so low too, they're by far the sweetest crankies I've ever had. It's my first time getting Rolf as my random move-in because I was too tired to island hop 🤷‍♀️

But I've had Cyrano since New Leaf. Heh. x'D

Populat Villagers I don't get:

Diana. She really isn't even that cute and I just don't really understand the appeal. I don't hate her, I'm just surprised she's as popular as she is.

Unpopular Villagers that deserve more love:

Derwin. He's a nerdy, cute duck that is just soo cute to me. He's forgotten/disliked by so many and it's soo sad! He's one of my favorite villagers and I always walk up to him and talk to him, give him gifts, etc. Not only that but his house is a playground, which is very cute.

Grizzly. He was a New Leaf original when I booted up my first town, and will forever be a favorite of mine. He looks like an actual grizzly which is awesome, and is very sweet once you get to know him.

- As a side note to the original post, I love Molly and Lucky :( they're so cute and sweet and are both on my island. Agent S was on my island, but I personally never cared about her, I booted her off for my amiibo Beau lol.

personally the raymond madness needs to stop! i think keaton, ozzie and, annalisa are super great, but underrateted!

HOW DARE YOU MOLLY IS THE BEST jk but I really like her ;_;

I don't understand how Deirdre, Clay, Savannah, Bill and Papi are so low in the tier lists... Deirdre is literally the best uchi lol what is wrong with people

Couldn’t agree more with this post
especially the Molly part of course

Those villagers you list all belong solidly in B Tier to me. Papi in particular. I’ve seriously been considering letting Beau go for him, and that says something!

Back