• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Unova Remakes?

Do you want Unova remade?

• Total voters
Ideally, I'd prefer a proper modern port of the Gen V games and/or a new Legends game over a BDSP-style remake. A port would be a lot more accessible than the DS versions nowadays (which are basically treated and priced as collector's items now, not to mention the amount of fakes out there on the market) without sacrificing the charm of the original. I'd also like to see a Unova-based Legends game just because I'm a huge fan of Legends: Arceus' playstyle/format, and I agree with other sentiments here that I would rather see a return to the region with a new story than an awkward, lesser-feeling version of BW/B2W2.

Hell no. Not in the slightest do I want a Gen 5 remake. May it stay in 2010 where it was and still is at its absolute best. It's so gut-wrenchingly sad and it legit hurts for me to say that because I genuinely, wholeheartedly adore Gen 5 and the Pokemon franchise in general and I want to always be excited for the next new installment, especially a remake, but I just can't....... The modern games make it harder and harder to really get excited anymore.

Look no further than BDSP. It failed as a remake and I honestly feel bad that for many people, it was perhaps their first Gen 4 experience and they probably praise it like it's the best thing ever, people who unfortunately didn't get to play Platinum, the definitive Sinnoh adventure, first. I blame scalpers making it pretty much impossible to buy a copy of the older games.

While I enjoyed SV and while it had charm here and there, a lot of things held it back, besides the obvious hardware bugs, etc. No, I'm talking about things like actual challenging battles and strategy (for a casual playthrough, anyway) the inability to turn off EXP. Share, the Battle Set option no longer being available.....basically things that make it feel like Game Freak wants you to play the game THEIR way and with Pokemon THEY cherry pick from the 1000 mons that currently exist. But hey, Blitzle and Zebstrika are back. That's as close to a Gen 5 remake as I want it to get.

The DLC, starting with SwSh, is just selling you back Pokemon. People are hype for Milotic and Flygon returning. That's literally the most exciting thing about Pokemon now. Paying $30 to use your faves again. TPC and Game Freak knew they could get away with it and that's why we have Dexit.

Here's the short answer: classic pixel sprites are more fun than modern 3D models.

I couldn't have said it any better. This is exactly how I feel. I love gen 5, but especially after seeing what happened to BDSP (not to mention Scarlet/Violet), I just do not trust Gamefreak anymore. It's such a shame. How did we go from such amazing remakes as Heartgold/Soulsilver to this? What happened to make everybody involved with making Pokemon games just... give up?

Hell no. Not in the slightest do I want a Gen 5 remake. May it stay in 2010 where it was and still is at its absolute best. It's so gut-wrenchingly sad and it legit hurts for me to say that because I genuinely, wholeheartedly adore Gen 5 and the Pokemon franchise in general and I want to always be excited for the next new installment, especially a remake, but I just can't....... The modern games make it harder and harder to really get excited anymore.

Look no further than BDSP. It failed as a remake and I honestly feel bad that for many people, it was perhaps their first Gen 4 experience and they probably praise it like it's the best thing ever, people who unfortunately didn't get to play Platinum, the definitive Sinnoh adventure, first. I blame scalpers making it pretty much impossible to buy a copy of the older games.

While I enjoyed SV and while it had charm here and there, a lot of things held it back, besides the obvious hardware bugs, etc. No, I'm talking about things like actual challenging battles and strategy (for a casual playthrough, anyway) the inability to turn off EXP. Share, the Battle Set option no longer being available.....basically things that make it feel like Game Freak wants you to play the game THEIR way and with Pokemon THEY cherry pick from the 1000 mons that currently exist. But hey, Blitzle and Zebstrika are back. That's as close to a Gen 5 remake as I want it to get.

The DLC, starting with SwSh, is just selling you back Pokemon. People are hype for Milotic and Flygon returning. That's literally the most exciting thing about Pokemon now. Paying $30 to use your faves again. TPC and Game Freak knew they could get away with it and that's why we have Dexit.

Here's the short answer: classic pixel sprites are more fun than modern 3D models.

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Maybe this is going to get to the limit of what's allowed to be discussed on this forum but I would absolutely consider looking into ROM hacks if you want modern things from Pokémon like fairy type, physical/special split, bottlecaps and modern items, but still want the style of the older games.

For example, the decompilation of Emerald came out recently, which is allowing for more advanced stuff like open-world Emerald.

I couldn't have said it any better. This is exactly how I feel. I love gen 5, but especially after seeing what happened to BDSP (not to mention Scarlet/Violet), I just do not trust Gamefreak anymore. It's such a shame. How did we go from such amazing remakes as Heartgold/Soulsilver to this? What happened to make everybody involved with making Pokemon games just... give up?
The simple answer is: the transition from handheld to console, in retrospect, is what totally screwed the franchise.

I think the reason handheld titles such as HGSS, BW/BW2 and ORAS did so well and even to this day still hold up is because it was Pokemon on a smaller scope, something GF had down to near perfection. Handheld is what they knew best. Pokemon started off as just a cute idea about catching bugs monsters on a tiny Game Boy screen. GF didn't foresee it would become such a big hit around the world. A huge cash cow, and of course Nintendo demanded more, MORE.

Gold and Silver were planned to be the last entries in the series, which just boggles the mind to think about: what if Pokemon really, truly ended there?

Suddenly GF decided (or were told to) to move the franchise to the big leagues, namely HD aka the Switch, GF didn't know what they were getting themselves into, until it was too late. Pokemon just wasn't meant to go full-on console, at least not the main games. Spin-offs like New Pokemon Snap and Mystery Dungeon DX do well enough on their own because not a lot is expected from them, but the main games are a whole other thing.

I should say, the only modern Pokemon game that gave me some semblance of hope for the franchise, the game that made me love Pokemon all over again, was Legends Arceus, because it dared to try something new, something different. They're by no means perfect, but holy hot damn I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a fun time.

The short short answer: low quality, low quantity...as long as it's Pokemon, it will sell well.

Honestly with the way Pokemon has been treated with SwSh, BDSP, and Scarvio, I don't want them to remake Unova. Just leave it alone before you ruin it.
Post automatically merged:

The simple answer is: the transition from handheld to console, in retrospect, is what totally screwed the franchise.

I think the reason handheld titles such as HGSS, BW/BW2 and ORAS did so well and even to this day still hold up is because it was Pokemon on a smaller scope, something GF had down to near perfection. Handheld is what they knew best. Pokemon started off as just a cute idea about catching bugs monsters on a tiny Game Boy screen. GF didn't foresee it would become such a big hit around the world. A huge cash cow, and of course Nintendo demanded more, MORE.

Gold and Silver were planned to be the last entries in the series, which just boggles the mind to think about: what if Pokemon really, truly ended there?

Suddenly GF decided (or were told to) to move the franchise to the big leagues, namely HD aka the Switch, GF didn't know what they were getting themselves into, until it was too late. Pokemon just wasn't meant to go full-on console, at least not the main games. Spin-offs like New Pokemon Snap and Mystery Dungeon DX do well enough on their own because not a lot is expected from them, but the main games are a whole other thing.

I should say, the only modern Pokemon game that gave me some semblance of hope for the franchise, the game that made me love Pokemon all over again, was Legends Arceus, because it dared to try something new, something different. They're by no means perfect, but holy hot damn I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a fun time.

The short short answer: low quality, low quantity...as long as it's Pokemon, it will sell well.
Fully agree. Pokemon games will still be rushed and pooped out in the state they're currently in until they notice sales declining. But with Scarvio and SwSh selling as well as they did, expect Pokemon games to continue being garbage.

I'm also unsure if the "3D" models and worlds being as bad as they are is just because Gamefreak as a company lack the skills to do anything more than the pixel graphics. Like maybe they actually just can't 3D model properly. I wish I knew the reason for the crap we've been given the last couple years. The rushed timelines don't help anything either. They need to chill out, put time and effort into the new generations.

Last edited:
Honestly with the way Pokemon has been treated with SwSh, BDSP, and Scarvio, I don't want them to remake Unova. Just leave it alone before you ruin it.
The blame should be on the publishers The Pokemon Company and Nintendo themselves. If they didn't rush Game Freak maybe then the Pokemon games would not be so broken. Pokemon as a franchise is still having a mid life crisis, it doesn't know what to do with itself. Whenever it tries to change things up it sometimes goes well but most times doesn't. They have a bad habit of removing and adding features whenever a new generation starts. Its this type of a thing that makes it hard to enjoy Pokemon.

I agree with most people here, the way the franchise has been handled as a whole just doesn't sit right with me. It pains me to say it but I've kinda fallen out of love with Pokemon, at least with the latest gens. So no, I don't wan't a BW remake because I don't even see it as something that whould come out even remotely interesting or at least worth playing over the originals, because honestly what is there to gain from it besides 3D models?

Last edited:
I was basically done with remakes back when ORAS came out (I only bought them like, last year to play with someone who never played gen 3). That said I honestly would probably still buy a Unova remake because I’m a simp for gen 5, but I would much much rather prefer a new game that revisits Unova. Would kill for another Legends game in general, doesn’t matter which region it’s set in.. ;_;

Can I get that ferris wheel scene again? Jk. Im mixed, I havent played shinning or Violet yet. I heard mixed reviews about them, Im probably going to get lost very quickly in Violet because Im an explorer lol.

I guess it would depend on the format, Unova was one of my favorites for many reasons. Im not agsinst it? It would just have to be done right,

And from all these opinions, it seems like the remakes have not been done right heh. But Im not against it.

No, for a variety of reasons:
1. The games are so high quality to most fans that almost any remake would completely butcher them. Diamond/Pearl at least had some glaring flaws.
2. Unlike the other gens which got third versions, these games got SEQUELS. In addition, Gen 5 is arguably the most story heavy gen. You can’t have one game without the other. They’re two halves of a whole.
3. X/Y are so much more deserving of remakes. It was supposed to be the grand transition to full 3D and ultimately had a lot of ideas left unfinished or scrapped. Until fairly recently, they were considered some of the most forgettable mainline entries, and still are by a sizable amount of people. A remake could give Kalos the polish it needs. I still wouldn’t want a remake despite all this though, because I don’t trust them to make a solid remake considering the recent games’ questionable quality.

YES PLEASE!! I don't even care if the games suck, Unova remake means fresh starter merch and I need more Oshawott things in my life.

I do agree it would be so much better to make a new Unova based story though instead of a typical remake. Especially since you need B/W2 to complete said story, and I don't see them giving us the sequel in remake form. 😅

I definitely agree that X/Y is more deserving of remakes right now. However, if they remade Unova differently enough, I think it could work.

I’m on the fence with this one, truthfully. Gen 5 has an incredibly special place in my heart. I’d love to see a remake. But.. It’d have to be a great one. And I know for a fact with how BDSP turned out, Gamefreak + Nintendo definitely will not be able to deliver a proper remake for B/W the way the fans envision it, or want it. I’d love to see N in non pixel form, as he’s one of my favorite characters out of any Pokémon game. But.. I’d rather see him in pixel sprite form on a port, than in a horridly rushed remake. The music will always remain sentimental to me, the thrill of replaying it over and over during summer break, the times I’ve rage quit over Cheren (I was 10 and under-leveled most of my Pokémon, only leveling my starter LOL), and lots of more priceless memories that I wouldn’t even dare think of exchanging for a rushed remake. :’)

If it ever does become a reality though, I’m expecting it to be disappointing… Why can’t they just give us GOOD REMAKES!! 😭 I’d much prefer a port or like, revisiting the region, or a Legends game ^^

After the way they handled BDSP? Not a chance in the world I'd want to see a Gen 5 remake.

I don't know. Gen 5 is my favourite generation and it's already perfect the way it is. I'm afraid that they can only make it worse. I would love to see an Unova remake by a company that really cares and has the time to make amazing remakes but I don't trust Gamefreak or the studio that did BD/SP for that matter... :/ OR/AS was also only lukewarm... HG/SS on the other hand is my second favourite entry of the franchise...

I agree with most of the points here, after what they did to Gen 4 with BDSP? Nah. Like others have said, BW2 already exists. It already expanded upon the story, to the point if we got a remake, it would have some tough competition recreating what made those games special. However, sometimes GameFreak suprises us, so I'll wait for a trailer to make my final decision, but as it stands, no.

I saw some people from YouTube speculating about a possible "Black 3 and White 3" according to some leaks and I just gotta say this. I don't see it being B3W3 it would just not make much sense. I mean we already defeated Team Plasma twice in a row. What else could they do? Ghetsis is pretty much gone after the 2nd Black and White and Team Plasma themselves have already disbanded. The only way this could sorta work is that someone who used to be on Team Plasma was loyal to Ghetsis and this time they want to resurrect Team Plasma. They will have to change up the goal because in the past it was "Liberate Pokemon from Humans" and then it was "Steal Pokemon from Humans to rule the world" well this time the new goal could be that they want to "Mind control all the Pokemon and use them for their evil purposes" if they do something like that, it would make Team Plasma more of a threat and they could mind control your Pokemon making them attack you.

As for the starters I mean its pretty much going to be the same with Tepig, Oshawatt, and Snivy but they could probably increase their base stats to make them better. The region intself Unova can be just like Scarlet/Violet where you go where ever you want, although they might bring back HMs locking off certain areas that you can't get through. For the gyms they need to seriously scale them because no matter what Gym you beat they should scale, because that was the main issue from Scarlet/Violet where you go to an area and all of a sudden your faced with the hardest Gym Leader.

TLTR: If its Black 3/White 3 whatever the name is called it should have a more threatening Team Plasma, The Starters can be buffed, and take on the same world as Scarlet/Violet where you can go where you want and the Gyms must be scaled. But I digress and remain skeptical on the remakes or a possible threequel.

I would be all for Unova remakes because I skipped that generation when it came out but everyone I know raves about it to me and I feel like I missed a good moment in the series 😅 Tbh most of my logic skipping was just I didn't really like the starters or legendaries at the time

Well, everyone has shared their thoughts and some I agree with, some I do not. I guess I'll share some of my own then. . . .

Unova is highly likely on the list of revisits and has been making the rounds online if you know where to look. It makes sense because money talks. Scarlet/Violet with all its flaws made millions, so what's stopping them remaking the beloved Gen 5 region? Nothing but hoping what they give us is good. Now, only a good trailer could convince me to buy an Unova game, a trailer that is an exact opposite of the last DLC trailer. So...new mons (designed well), new evos for old mons (designed well), Unovan forms (designed well), Original Dragon (designed well), stuff like that could get me to buy it. Simply making it a port with Fairy type and some later gen stuff like BdSp won't cut it.

I saw some people from YouTube speculating about a possible "Black 3 and White 3" according to some leaks and I just gotta say this. I don't see it being B3W3 it would just not make much sense. I mean we already defeated Team Plasma twice in a row. What else could they do? Ghetsis is pretty much gone after the 2nd Black and White and Team Plasma themselves have already disbanded. The only way this could sorta work is that someone who used to be on Team Plasma was loyal to Ghetsis and this time they want to resurrect Team Plasma. They will have to change up the goal because in the past it was "Liberate Pokemon from Humans" and then it was "Steal Pokemon from Humans to rule the world" well this time the new goal could be that they want to "Mind control all the Pokemon and use them for their evil purposes" if they do something like that, it would make Team Plasma more of a threat and they could mind control your Pokemon making them attack you.

As for the starters I mean its pretty much going to be the same with Tepig, Oshawatt, and Snivy but they could probably increase their base stats to make them better. The region intself Unova can be just like Scarlet/Violet where you go where ever you want, although they might bring back HMs locking off certain areas that you can't get through. For the gyms they need to seriously scale them because no matter what Gym you beat they should scale, because that was the main issue from Scarlet/Violet where you go to an area and all of a sudden your faced with the hardest Gym Leader.

TLTR: If its Black 3/White 3 whatever the name is called it should have a more threatening Team Plasma, The Starters can be buffed, and take on the same world as Scarlet/Violet where you can go where you want and the Gyms must be scaled. But I digress and remain skeptical on the remakes or a possible threequel.

They could have Colress revive Team Plasma, in the pursuit of science... change the entire goal from messing with trainers and their Pokemon to using science to bring out the true power in them. I don't know, just a random thought.

But yeah, as much as it probably won't happen first, I really do believe X/Y remakes are more deserving.

Back