• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Ultimate grass wear repair thread.

Plants flowers and water them

- - - Post Merge - - -

Is it very tedious though and it takes a long time

I joined to find a solution to this.. I have NO grass, anywhere top 2/3rds of my town.. only the bottom third below my river.. I try not to walk on. I will be probably one of the few, with no snow for snowballs. Guilty hands up am being penalised for playing this too much. I never run.. Just wish Nintendo, would put a grass sachet into the final T&T Emporium, for those that want the grass to regrow.. My town has flowers everywhere it did have more.. mine though it never seems to rain, but I alwasy water my flowers.. golden can.. town called alwasy as can't spell always.. dream address. 6600-2594-4703... go see the desert.. I have been watering huge patches for weeks with flowers & no these are not the original patches that you start with.. because these will never grow grass as they are positions for new villager houses.. a sort of " let you know not to initially plant your perfect fruit on... incase a house from oz lands on it.. :p" Just wish there was a solution..

It takes a while for grass to grow back. Plant flowers on bald spots but keep in mind that certain bald spots will never grow grass. Water your flowers once everyday except on rainy days. It also helps to establish a path in your town, whether it be natural or pattern. I have to warn you again that it does take a while!

Just plant flowers and DO NOT WALK ON AREA.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Just plant flowers and DO NOT WALK ON AREA.

Time travel IS the ultimate fix. Otherwise, play for almost no time at all. The less you play in a day, the faster it comes back. This is why time travel works so well. I've noticed no help from flowers or anything.

If you don't want to TT, establish some paths through your town, and absolutely stick to it. Don't walk anywhere else. It can take weeks for grass to recover this way, though.

Hmm, I read a lot that 10 days is the amount of time needed to pass to regrow bald patches. Though I don't TT myself I've also read that the safe way to TT is go day by day and talk to your villagers once a day so they won't move away unexpectedly (then you can stop them from doing so and I've seen a lot of those threads where people TT and lose their favorite villagers :(). Doing both day by day and talking to villagers may defeat the purpose of re-growing grass though because you may end up walking on those parts anyway.

All I can say is don't walk on those parts you need to regrow ever until it comes back or TT in the future 10 days. Flowers don't do anything for me either. It's just a psychological thing that you get to cover the bald spots with flowers and people typically don't run through fields of flowers anyway. AND you might actually stop your grass from growing back when you step on the area to water flowers. Though I'd suggest to make paths through your town to limit your walking area :)

Last edited:
If you're going to play try not to open the game like 20 times a day

I heard that speeds up wear

Planting and watering flowers seems to do nothing to help. - I find it has made the wear worse because I have to walk through the flowers to water them.

I have noticed on my spare town if a villager moves out and I TT 2 weeks it is almost entirely back then. So while I'm on a 2 week holiday beginning of next month I'm going to set my ordinance to beautiful and lay down temp paths so It should come back.

If that fails then I'll just TT it back when it gets to November so I actually have some snow for xmas/snowmen.

For those of you saying time traveling is the best bet, I have some bad news for you. I got this from another forum I go to:

In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, it is reported that grass deterioration not only happens more slowly, but the damaged grass regrows faster. Also, when a Public Works Project has been completed and built, the grass under it will deteriorate instantly. The same effect happens with new houses; if they are built and removed, the grass underneath it will be completely gone.
When a new town is made, it will start off with permanent patches of mud where grass deteriorates faster from, spreading throughout the map like paths.

Regrowing grass in New Leaf

Fertilizer and the Beautiful Town ordinance do not help regrow grass.
Placing patterns on the ground will not prevent grass deterioration.
Staying off the grass all together will help it slowly regrow.
Watering flowers on decaying grass doubles the regrowth speed (the flowers must be watered for this to count). Stepping or walking over the flowers cancels this and will instead count as you walked on the grass, deteriorating it instead.

Villagers walking on grass or watered flowers does not deteriorate it.
Growing bushes or trees help regrowing grass on the tile they are planted on.
Time traveling forward in time does not help grass regrow. The player must load up the save file once a day for it to register. If the player went a month forward in time, the grass would register it as if only one day passed.
Rain and snow regrows grass slowly. However, as mentioned above, whatever grass is stepped on will cancel its regrowth and will decay instead.

Reading this really frustrated me. Why should walking on grass negate watering that flower? If anything, it should be the other way around!

Nintendo made a really ignorant decision to put this 'feature' back in the game. Basically if you want to keep your grass you need to barely walk on it at all. It's like they're trying to force us to only walk on certain 'paths' through town. Nintendo, what if I want to walk all over my town to hunt for bugs, shake trees, or look for buried items or money rocks? Why can't I do that without losing my grass?

I find that 'villagers walking on grass does not deteriorate it' to be bull crap, though. Back before my goat villager moved away she had a natural ditch patch in front of her house. She lived right smack next to the river by the cliff. So I had no reason to ever walk in front of her house. And yet after a few days of playing that dirt patch had deteriorated so much she had no lawn in front of her house. I only started walking there to fill it with flowers and water them. And now I've discovered that since I had to walk on those flowers I pretty much negated the work I was doing! If I wasn't walking there, why was there grass deterioration? I assume it was because the villager was walking there!

The grass grew back before I finally quit playing because I was scared the grass would die again. The goat moved away and Gabi moved into almost the exact same spot. I'm paranoid so I won't walk over there. The deterioration has started again now that Gabi is out and about. |:

And time traveling is too risky. I don't want to lose my villagers. So even if I did want to TT, I couldn't.

Learning about this almost makes me not want to play again... ugh.

Last edited:
For those of you saying time traveling is the best bet, I have some bad news for you. I got this from another forum I go to:
Time traveling forward in time does not help grass regrow. The player must load up the save file once a day for it to register. If the player went a month forward in time, the grass would register it as if only one day passed.
And time traveling is too risky. I don't want to lose my villagers. So even if I did want to TT, I couldn't.

When I go forward two weeks and all my grass has grown back, that doesn't add up.
It IS risky, but if you TT when a villager is already moving or after you've given them away in boxes, no one else will move. That's the safest time.

Reading this really frustrated me. Why should walking on grass negate watering that flower? If anything, it should be the other way around!

That explains why I see so many people claiming flowers speed up grass growth while my town is barren. That is ridiculous, I can't water my flowers without stepping on them! I don't solely have flowers on the edge of pathways. <_<; I have flowers everywhere because I want to actually go everywhere in town. I want Dream visitors to go everywhere. That is where the differences between towns are! Otherwise we might aswell all have exactly the same layout with everything squeezed into 2 acres.

They are wrong on the loading the game every day while TTing though. Yes that was the case in CF, but not anymore. Anyone who has reset for villagers in a town to move a villager out of it can vouch for that.

And I'm split on the villager wearing grass. I haven't seen any proof myself, though I'm sure there should be more grass by Bruces house in my town as he is always outside, so I never walk to his corner outside of watering, and there is a lot of wear around there. Meanwhile Muffy seemingly has green thumbs on her toes as her doorstep is probably the best kept patch of grass in my town. It is dead in a ring around her house though. ~ And I talk to her daily.

I love the grass wear feature. If you plan your town right, you can end up with nice natural paths.

Truly, time travel is really the ultimate fix, but you've got to learn how to do it correctly especially if you're afraid of losing villagers. If you're not willing to time travel, then stop complaining because there is not much else you can do about it.

Hmmm I just thought of something...
If you time travel two weeks forward but start with a new character to walk around town, wouldn't you be able to see who moved away and reset if it's one of your favourites? / save if it's someone you wanted to move anyway?
That way you could also (if you don't save your character)go back in time and everything would still be the same.
Ha.
If that actually works and the villager who moved away changes everytime you reset this would be the best way to move villagers out, as well.
Gotta try.

Back