• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Tropical Storm - limited time event idea!

isla-mariposa

Bells
I love most of ACNH, but the events have been a little hit-or-miss for me. One reason has been their length: for me personally, they’ve just lasted way too long. I’d rather have a really fun one-day event than drag out the same sorts of tasks for a week, two weeks, or a whole month.

That leads me to my idea for a one-day/-night event: Tropical Storm.

During tropical storm/hurricane season, Isabelle could make an announcement that she’d been tracking an approaching storm. To offer players a chance to opt out, you could be given a dialogue option: “Sounds exciting!” for yes; “Sounds scary!” for no. Because tropical storms are famously fickle, it wouldn’t be odd if its course changed wildly the following day and missed your island (assuming you didn’t want to take part in the event).

If you opted in, the storm would hit the following day, and everyone would hunker down in the largest building on the island: the museum! Maybe we could all crowd into the second room of the fossil gallery, bedding down with sleeping bags between the dinosaur skeletons — or maybe do the same, but in the (heretofore unseen) museum basement, surrounded by dusty crates and off-exhibit artifacts!

While the storm rages outside, your villagers could show off some new event-specific dialogue, like jokes or ghost stories; you could play hide-and-seek throughout the galleries; and perhaps the power would go out at some point, necessitating the use of candles. Jock villagers would admire the strength of the storm, Peppy villagers would do their best to keep everyone’s spirits up, and Lazy villagers would be eating all the Pop-Tarts you’d brought as emergency rations. This event would be a chance to see all of your villagers interacting together at once! It‘d be the ultimate sleepover.

In the morning, the storm has moved on. There’s no damage to the island’s buildings, thank goodness, but there’s lots of fruit and a ton of tree branches to pick up, and the shore is COVERED in shells — possibly including some special ones you’d never seen before, or maybe even sunken treasure dredged up by the waves.

My husband pointed out that you could do something similar in the winter, but with a snow storm!

This all comes from my desire for more meaningful interactions and dialogue with my residents. I’ve been playing since the GameCube version, and ACNH feels a bit unfinished in some regards; I keep crossing my fingers that future updates will include better, more varied dialogue, and I’d like to see what Nintendo could do with events if they really pushed themselves.

What do you think? Do you like the idea of a tropical storm sleepover in the museum? Is there a special event that you’d like to see if the sky was the limit?

well, now that i've read this, i'm just sad that we'll never see it! this sounds AMAZING. i really want nothing more than to have a sleepover with all my villagers 🥺

i also like the ability to opt out. wish i had it on bunny day smh

Kind of funny for you to say seasons last to long, cuz its like exactly the same length in real life :p

Spending time huddled up with the villagers doesn't interest me.
It might be fun for kids though!

Last edited:
I like this idea. It seems like a fun event to have, and it doesn't do any lasting damage (maybe Tom Nook moved all your smaller furniture back to their spots overnight).

well, now that i've read this, i'm just sad that we'll never see it! this sounds AMAZING. i really want nothing more than to have a sleepover with all my villagers 🥺

i also like the ability to opt out. wish i had it on bunny day smh

You and me both, haha! I wish Bunny Day had actually been Bunny DAY. 😅
Post automatically merged:

Kind of funny for you to say seasons last to long, cuz its like exactly the same length in real life :p

I said the events lasted too long, not the seasons. ;)

That's all I need.

More storms and more announcements from Isabelle. :(

Hence the beauty of opting out! :)

Spending time huddled up with the villagers doesn't interest me.
It might be fun for kids though!

You mean like many of the people playing this game? :) And I feel like the older you get, the less you care about whether something is meant for “kids,” as long as it’s fun, and AC has always been for all ages. I was in college when the original “Animal Crossing” came out, and I think a more character-driven event would be super cute.

Since this particular idea isn’t your cup of tea, maybe you can tell us what you would like to see as an event!

i keep thinking about this I WANT IT

blathers joins hide and seek. "i'll be the seeker," he says. "no one knows the museum better than me! i'll find everyone easily!"

everyone just hides in the bug section.

You mean like many of the people playing this game? :) And I feel like the older you get, the less you care about whether something is meant for “kids,” as long as it’s fun, and AC has always been for all ages. I was in college when the original “Animal Crossing” came out, and I think a more character-driven event would be super cute.

Since this particular idea isn’t your cup of tea, maybe you can tell us what you would like to see as an event!
I just don't like the villagers and the very dull dialogue.
Hence, why I posted spending even more time with these villagers who have been even further dumbed down than they were in NL, wouldn't appeal to me.

The game has already put me off my favorite villager of fifteen years.

I hope that clarifies it a bit. :)

i keep thinking about this I WANT IT

blathers joins hide and seek. "i'll be the seeker," he says. "no one knows the museum better than me! i'll find everyone easily!"

everyone just hides in the bug section.

HA!! You got a really-for-real LOL out of me for that one! :ROFLMAO: Poor sweet, phobic Blathers...

I just don't like the villagers and the very dull dialogue.
Hence, why I posted spending even more time with these further dumbed down than NL villagers, wouldn't appeal to me.

The game has already put me off my favorite villager of fifteen years.

I hope that clarifies it a bit. :)

Did you have a chance to read my penultimate paragraph? I find ACNH’s dialogue lacking, too, which is why I’m specifically wishing for a more character-driven event with brand-new dialogue.

this could be fun! especially playing hide-and-seek in the museum lmao. i definitely agree with you about the event lengths, though; events that should only last about a week at most shouldn’t be taking up an entire month ;u;

Can you please contact Nintendo and work with them on later events? We had some really bad events like bunny day (more like bunny eternity) and we had some really short events like the international museum day, which was also like a week, but nothing really meaningful or new, that added lots of new dialogue/villager interactions and it just seems so perfect. It also wouldn't have to last the whole night, but could be 20-30 minutes or whatever, so you don't need to be on your switch all day long hahah

As someone who lives on the East Coast of the United States I'd LOVE this idea, like I've lived through hurricanes my entire life and so this would be so awesome!!!!!

Considering I was this close to getting blasted by Hurricane Dorian last year, I think I would pass. Thunderstorms are my limit for 'natural disasters' in ACNH, haha!

Back