• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Trading in Nintendo Switch for Switch Lite question?

NebulaNights

Senior Member ♡
Bells
Switch
5137-7037-9125
Black Hybrid Rose
Black Hybrid Rose
Golden Watering Can
Red Tulip
White Tulip
White Violet
Purple Violet
Yellow Hyacinth
Red Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Hi! I got a question for anyone who's traded in a Nintendo Switch to Gamestop in exchange for the Switch Lite. I would like to buy the more upgraded version of the Switch and I wanted to trade in my old one for the Switch Lite. My switch is about a couple years old, but I have one concern about trading it in to get the Switch Lite. Has anyone ever traded in their Switch with different joycons and not the original ones it came with when you bought it? The reason I ask this is because my original joycons that came with mine have joycon drift and I don't know if Gamestop will take my Switch with the current new joycons. Will they mind if the Switch has different joycons and still take it?

Also, if this is in the wrong place, sorry about that. I wasn't sure where to post this. :)

By different, I'm assuming you mean their color doesn't match that of your original Switch. I have two questions:

1) Why didn't you send your controllers in for a free repair? I sent mine in, and it took less than a week.

2) Have you tried contacting GameStop?

You should call and ask. I don't see why not, if you were to explain your situation. I got roughly 150 when I traded mine in (in its original condition, but still.) As long as all of the parts that came with the Switch are there (even with the the joycons being different than the original ones) I don't think they'd care. But again, I'd call.

Got my question answered. Went into Gamestop today and traded in my old Switch including a couple of my other joycons. Two of the three sets of joycons I traded in had joycon drift and they still took them and I got credit for them too. So yes, they will take the old Switch as long as there is working joycons to go with it, which I did have a pair that did work. They didn't mind the working ones being different color as well, as long as it can be paired with the old Switch.

Got my new Switch Lite after trading in, so I'm happy. I love it more than the old one. :)

I would go third party, I sold my v1 switch on facebook market for $20

And I personally would not go for the switch lite, imo its better to have the option to be able to put your switch on the big TV and play with others.

I'm curious as to why you want the lite? It is better for portability, or do you just not see the reason to have the detachable controllers

EDIT: just way your last post, do you mind divulging how much you traded in your switch for?

Last edited:
I'm ok. I prefer to play handheld mode than I would TV mode, so that's one of the bigger reasons to why I went for the Switch Lite. I actually am liking the Switch Lite more because it's so light weight compared to the normal Switch and the screen is actually not that much smaller, so it's all good for me. So I believe I made the right purchase. To each their own, as they would say. :)

I hear that the Switch Lite suffers from the drift issue as well and that repairing is more complicated since the controllers are attached to the console.

Back