• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Tom Nook: Is He A Scammer

island.chill

takis dust
Bells
Tom Nook may be a scammer!

Reason 1: He has Nooks Cranny take 20% of the money when selling through the drop box.

Reason 2: He overprices his items sold in the Nook Stop Nook Shop in the Town Hall and the Miles method is a scam becuase They also overprice things there, too.

Reason 3: Some inclines that are equivalant to each other, cost more and less than others. Some are the same!!!

Any thoughts on this? Don't be shy, reply with all your thougts and conceptions! Thanks!!! <3

Tom Nook does not charge interest on one’s house. There is also no due date for payment. So, this leads me to conclude:

Tom Nook is generous.

(I will take a given item being overly priced. The house situation offsets it.)

Tom Nook does not charge interest on one’s house. There is also no due date for payment. So, this leads me to conclude:

Tom Nook is generous.

(I will take a given item being overly priced. The house situation offsets it.)
You do have a point!

Tom Nook is not a scammer.

Reason 1: You are always a hobo who shows up to his town with $0. He always takes a chance and gives you a place to live without any background or credit check.

Reason 2: He always offers you a part time job to get you on your feet.

Reason 3: He offers you a mortgage loan with 0% APR Interest rate, and NO REPAYMENT DEADLINE

Reason 4: He adopted Timmy and Tommy from the streets.

Reason 5: He pays you APY Interest on your savings account.

Tom Nook is not a scammer because he provides guidance and support as you establish your new life on the deserted island. Is generous enough to allow you to pay in nook miles when you have no money at all when starting out. He is also dedicated to making your experience as enjoyable as possible.

Giving homes interest free while letting you pay it off whenever you choose by selling things you find in the neighborhood is more generosity than scammer. Plus you can relocate whenever you want for a very reasonable price, and find all your things exactly as you left it. Not to mention the free renovations you can get after you finish upgrading to the highest level of remodeling his company offers.
I say Tom Nook is a pretty good guy.

Tom Nook is an amazing guy tanuki, but he DOES charge a TON of money for basically anything. That being said, he is incredibly generous in the first place sooo...

Also just a random question, where does he get all these deserted islands from? There's only a certain amount of islands in the world anyway lol...

Also just a random question, where does he get all these deserted islands from? There's only a certain amount of islands in the world anyway lol...
I sometimes wonder the same thing. I mean he must've paid a lot of bells for these deserted islands for his own advantage. We arrive on the island but it is indeed deserted. I wonder what it was like before. Maybe I am reading too deep into this but I have pondered about it for quite some time.

animal-crossing-new-horizons-tom-nook-godfather-3d-model-stl-ztl.jpg

My theory is that Tom Nook is the kingpin of an organized crime family and he uses his various Nook businesses as a front for his illegal activities.He uses our resident reps to build up the islands and help legitimize his fake businesses.That's why he can afford to lose some money in supporting the needy villagers and our resident rep's hobo lifestyles.

If Redd was a scammer he wouldn't be selling legit art. He's just really bad at telling when something is real or not when bulk buying. We've all been a victim of dropshippers on Etsy and he isn't any different.
That still makes him a scammer when he tries to act like what he's selling is worth a lot of bells but then fails to even acknowledge what he's selling is a fake. I know when a statue or painting is fake so I am not fooled so easily. Also why do you think he hides in secret areas? Its really sus (I know I had to do the Among Us joke).

If Redd was a scammer he wouldn't be selling legit art. He's just really bad at telling when something is real or not when bulk buying. We've all been a victim of dropshippers on Etsy and he isn't any different.
But he sells a bunch of fake art. You have to buy the art and you wouldn't know if it was real. Redd is the best and worst place for art.

Attachments

• just-42-pure-and-wholesome-animal-crossing-memes--2-1163-1604018546-8_dblbig.jpg
    just-42-pure-and-wholesome-animal-crossing-memes--2-1163-1604018546-8_dblbig.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 15
My opinion and I will share it. I believe he's a scammer after you get a house. I get vibes where he guilt trips you at the beginning and then later on he starts to scam you. He charges too much especially when you just started getting onto your feet. One of the reasons, is his buddies Timmy and Tommy don't give you enough money when selling something that costed beyond 40k.

The true Scammer is Redd.
you are 100% right. Every time I think about Redd, I see red. History lesson: in Wild World and City Folk, there were 0 ways to tell if a work of art is real or fake. I don't want to think about how many bells I wasted on fake art...
as for Tom Nook? No, I wouldn't say he's a scammer. He was scammed in the past, most likely by Redd. In Wild World, he mentions how big-city banks rejected giving him a loan, despite knowing nothing of his character. Another point to bring up is, in Happy Home Designer, he's donated- and I may have the percentage wrong here- 98% of his lifetime earnings to an orphanage. The orphanage apparently has a wing named after him due to all his donations
And to bring up op's over-charging comment... 100 Bells is roughly the same as $1 USD. I got this assumption due to Brewster and his coffee. The only thing I can think of that seems a tad expensive is K.K. Slider albums at what equals about $32, but I also haven't bought an album in years so I could be wrong.
Paying less when you drop off items seems fair to me. There needs to be some reason to incentivize actually going in and selling stuff (even though I just use the drop off box all the time) plus it, potentially, leads to more work for Timmy and Tommy.

tl;dr: Tom Nook is a good guy, Redd can kick rocks.

i used to hate on him so much when i was younger but he is a very generous tanuki in retrospect considering the fact that he lets you pay your mortgage whenever you want. he kind of has to overcharge items in nooks cranny and take 20% of bells from the drop box because he owns a business (nook inc) and he has to make a profit somehow. he was so much worse in the older games and new horizons has the nicest version of him.

I want to add- Nook is a character you grow to like as you get older and have to start paying rent and getting a real job and stuff. Because he's the only good landlord.

Nah, I'll say hes a scammer, but heres how I personally see him,

The dude watches from his window doing nothing, just waiting for all of us to pay his lone for his fancy golf clubs. Then he gives us another higher one to pay for his country club bills.

I mean the dude is doing nothing, aside from giving us bridge kits but we still gotta pay for it, and on top of our lones. Like they should be free since we gotta already pay off lones, but he still needs us to pay, then pay again if we decide we don't want it. That part is the reason lots of my friends stopped playing. Because of the absurd number of bells you constantly need to have. In my opinion, it takes away from the relaxing aspect. It feels more like your working a part time job if you want to buy something big.

Yes I get it, its susposed to be like real life. But im pretty sure that's what some people try to escape when they pull up a game to casually play after a hard day's work

After you get the building he stops coming outside and doing announcements. At least isabelle comes out for events, and does the announcements. Not Nook. He just sits there counting our money.

Everyone else runs around trying to get enough bells for those lones. All eleven of us and any side reps he's making bank off of. He'd probably keep giving us lones if he was programed that way. Im with Static. I'll toss rocks with him at night too.

Thats my slightly sour personal opinion, bag to disagree

Last edited:
When you compare the prices that things cost compared to what you can sell items for, they are actually pretty generous. Find a shop in real life where you can give them 10 apples for a piece of furniture.

Back