• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The most overrated game you've played?

regardless of whether or not he used it incorrectly, his meaning is plain to see. (for me, at least)

i did not mean to say i speak for the majority, and i am hardly unique in any way, i was simply giving my interpretation of people's opinions. when people compare it to, say, half life, halo, little big planet, call of duty, the entire logic of "you can't compare them" is thrown out the window, and newer games will most likely, in some way, be better. this is where my focus is at, not on the release-period of OoT.

i find it silly to compare it to newer games as well, but it is often on people's minds when "best game of all-time" is brought up. it happens somewhat often, especially in topics like this. in that sense, there is no set time period, and it is indeed overrated. if you're looking at the year it was released, it was groundbreaking, but in this day and age, saying it is the best game of all-time can be countered by many different games and many different opinions.

Ah but I think he is pulling at why you think it is undeserving to be on peoples best game of all time lists? What makes it less than the best? And if your answer only has to do with graphics, I will be very sad. :(

Ah but I think he is pulling at why you think it is undeserving to be on peoples best game of all time lists? What makes it less than the best? And if your answer only has to do with graphics, I will be very sad. :(
graphics.
i think that the game as a whole is very good, and is remarkable especially so because of it's time. however, there are many fields that it can fall short on. one being it's length when compared to many games of today, the limited amount of collectibles (though even now, it is a daunting task to get everything), the inherent lack of replay value unless you like the game enough to play it again (which you'll probably do, so replay value may not be fully deserved), but really, it has little flaws that don't necessarily make it undeserving of the title of best game ever, it's simply outclassed by others. jack of all trades, if you will.

it works shooting into the game very well, but it isn't a first person shooter, and is beaten by many games. it is not the best RPG, though it holds its own as an action-rpg. it is not the best action game, though it is indeed full of action. i think it sets a very high bar for games that follow in its footsteps, but pretty much every LoZ game to date has done that.

i can't honestly say it doesn't deserve the recognition it receives, but i can't agree that it is the best game of all time. i can't really decide on that myself, but i can't just give it to OoT.

if you need a few direct points, i'll give you my few flaws i've had with the game.

water temple. every zelda game has a confusing as hell water temple. (except LttP maybe)
camera can be bad, at times (if you don't know how to control it properly)
controls are sometimes slow (when link runs in a circle instead of directly backwards, but again, if you do it properly it's fine)
the story is somewhat bland.. it seems like it's built up to be something that it's not, which is essentially good vs evil save the princess.. + triangle of personal strengths. but as for side quests and in-game dialogue, it is excellent in relation to story. it is fleshed out tremendously.

again, i'm not blind to know that these faults are minute, i know they are personal quirks for the most part/are not major, but those are the things that come to mind.

tl;dr, i cannot fault it (as of writing this), but there are indeed games that can and do surpass it.

The majority of things sold by Nintendo, as well as the CoD series. Do I like CoD? Of course, I love it. It's one of my favorite games ever, simply because of the addictive quality of its mulitiplayer. But is it worth, "Ah yah, fap fap, need a new one every year to have my needs met"? No.

All 3 Halos.
I would agree with this to some extent. Although I do still believe the series is really well made.

Besides that, Counter-Strike players are some of the nicest people I've ever played with on an FPS.

IT CANT BE OVERRATED, it's legendary D:
I agree with this so much. Actually, most Valve PC games have an excellent community when you think about it. They're usually a quite chatty and friendly bunch most of the times.
My friend gave me CS:S for Christmas last year and I joined him in a zombie server and I played with a very good bunch of people. From my experience of online gaming, Valve seems to have the most dedicated and friendly community.

I would agree with this to some extent. Although I do still believe the series is really well made.

I agree with this so much. Actually, most Valve PC games have an excellent community when you think about it. They're usually a quite chatty and friendly bunch most of the times.
My friend gave me CS:S for Christmas last year and I joined him in a zombie server and I played with a very good bunch of people. From my experience of online gaming, Valve seems to have the most dedicated and friendly community.

Definitely, I'm not sure what it is about their games but they always promote good community. Even when you get little kids on Counter-Strike they are nothing like the kids you would find on a game like Call of Duty, instead they are respectful (most of the time) and just want to be a part of the great community the server has.

Definitely, I'm not sure what it is about their games but they always promote good community. Even when you get little kids on Counter-Strike they are nothing like the kids you would find on a game like Call of Duty, instead they are respectful (most of the time) and just want to be a part of the great community the server has.
c-note's bazooka begs to differ.
i think it's because they leave the games open, as opposed to closed. TF2 is not as good on consoles as it is on PC, simply because of the dedication to service, as well as the modding community/etc. it's the best example i can think of, simply because there's a console version that more or less sucks, and a PC version that often has hundreds of hours logged for anyone playing it.

i dunno. my two cents.

You were three years old when Ocarina of Time came out, how do you have any recollection of the hype surrounding OoT?

The Wii is the most overrated game I've played.
I played Ocarina of Time later when it came out, and not to mention I've seen hype of it still.

Back