• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The most overrated game you've played?

Call of Duty

This^ Or maybe I just don't like shooters but I did like Halo... AND SMG2 I don't think it deserved a 10 but it was still a good game :)

EDIT: Or for Call of Duty maybe I just don't wanna play a game where I know its going on in the world right now. (Ill stick with games like Fallout)

Last edited:

But, Counter-Strike is the defining game for all the FPSes of today. Heck, it's over 10 years old and there's still a very large playerbase aswell as modding community. Besides that, Counter-Strike players are some of the nicest people I've ever played with on an FPS.

IT CANT BE OVERRATED, it's legendary D:

But, Counter-Strike is the defining game for all the FPSes of today. Heck, it's over 10 years old and there's still a very large playerbase aswell as modding community. Besides that, Counter-Strike players are some of the nicest people I've ever played with on an FPS.

IT CANT BE OVERRATED, it's legendary D:

I has opinion.

Super Mario Galaxy 2.

It's very good, but not godly.

lolkidsmyagewhohaventplayedbettergaems

And Majora's Mask, but it's not as overrated and SMG2.
Majora's Mask isn't really that overrated. A lot of people dislike it for some reason. But yea, I agree with OoT and SMG2. Brawl is too. People were overhyping themselves for it, to be kind of let down with the easiness of the game. Brawl > Melee.

Fine, but that's not what hype is.
niko was using the wrong words to say what he meant.
he wasn't trying to say that it was overrated when it came out originally, he was trying to say that since it's release (after a good time) the game has risen above and above due to nostalgia, and people generally succumbing to peer pressure and agreeing that OoT was the best game of all time, when it does not have the same level of quality that some other games might have kept, over time.

just imagine he didn't say hype, and he went with the topic title, overrated.

niko was using the wrong words to say what he meant.
he wasn't trying to say that it was overrated when it came out originally, he was trying to say that since it's release (after a good time) the game has risen above and above due to nostalgia, and people generally succumbing to peer pressure and agreeing that OoT was the best game of all time, when it does not have the same level of quality that some other games might have kept, over time.

just imagine he didn't say hype, and he went with the topic title, overrated.

I'm quite capable of doing all that, thanks. But I was disagreeing with the idea that it was overhyped.

Also, you seem to have extrapolated a lot of points from one word. Perhaps you can read Niko's mind?

I disagree with oot only because, A. I never really saw it all that hyped, it just got very good reviews.

B. I think it deserved those good reviews, because it was one of the first true 3-d games, many games learned from what work was done there, the story though basic was solid, the character were very memorable, from shiek to the old goron you need to make dance at a point, the music was memorable and good allowing for said dancing npcs to be more remembered, the game play itself was great. the puzzles were a bit challenging at times but never so hard that I gave up... though the water temple was close lol, and really just gave some great environments. From action to fishing the game really had a lot to do, and it all tied together pretty well.

I guess the biggest thing that makes it deserving of its praise, is I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING REALLY WRONG WITH IT. I find flaws in most games... this was one of the rare gems I honestly couldn't... I think the only other one up in my head like that is Portal... so yeah.

Most overrated game for me though, I think I have to agree with Call of Duty, especially everyone but the first.

Last edited:
I'm quite capable of doing all that, thanks. But I was disagreeing with the idea that it was overhyped.

Also, you seem to have extrapolated a lot of points from one word. Perhaps you can read Niko's mind?
right, except you didn't, and were the one who took the word out of context to begin with.

i can read his mind, but aside from that, i have at least a partial understanding of how OoT is viewed in the common eye (online/amongst/from most talks of it, at least)

it was great at the time, but it is overrated, now. or, was last time i checked.

I haven't really researched it (like in how to was rated) but I'm going to have to say the biggest let down not most overhyped/overrated game I've ever played would be halo. My friends were always telling me how good it was, so when I got my xbox360 I went over to gamestop and bought a halo game (either 3, or ODST I can't remember). I was dissapoint.
Overrated...hmmmm....
In terms of Overhyped, CoD:BO.
In terms of just pure overrated....Yeah I think I'm gonna have to hand that to SMG2. It was a terrific game, don't get me wrong. But it just didn't have that WOAH factor the original did, since it was the mario game INNNNNNN SPAAAAAAAAAACE. Such is the case with other great games such as scribblenauts VS super scribbnauts. The former brought a whole new concept while the later was just the same thing.

right, except you didn't, and were the one who took the word out of context to begin with.

i can read his mind, but aside from that, i have at least a partial understanding of how OoT is viewed in the common eye (online/amongst/from most talks of it, at least)

it was great at the time, but it is overrated, now. or, was last time i checked.

I didn't use jack out of context, it was he who used it incorrectly.

You are hardly unique in your understanding of the general consensus concerning OoT, but I don't understand how it follows that it is overrated. Such a thing is entirely subjective, yet you haven't really provided any reasoning for why you assess it as being overvalued. Also, does it not make sense to think of the game primarily in its original context? People seem to think that a game has to be evaluated in a modern context, which I think is a rather pointless endeavor. I'm not just talking about the difference in graphics and game engine power, either.

Now we need a underrated thread.

People try and like to think that older games are always better than newer ones, but that's not always true.
Take Brawl for example. It has flaws, I agree, but it is not as bad as people treat it.
They say "lol ssb and ssbm is way bett3r all u newfagz play new bad gaemz da old gaemz wer da b3st d00dz!11!11!1" when SSBB was clearly a huge update to the Smash Bros. Series than it was back in the SSB days.

Some games are way overrated, and some are way underrated.

I didn't use jack out of context, it was he who used it incorrectly.

You are hardly unique in your understanding of the general consensus concerning OoT, but I don't understand how it follows that it is overrated. Such a thing is entirely subjective, yet you haven't really provided any reasoning for why you assess it as being overvalued. Also, does it not make sense to think of the game primarily in its original context? People seem to think that a game has to be evaluated in a modern context, which I think is a rather pointless endeavor. I'm not just talking about the difference in graphics and game engine power, either.
regardless of whether or not he used it incorrectly, his meaning is plain to see. (for me, at least)

i did not mean to say i speak for the majority, and i am hardly unique in any way, i was simply giving my interpretation of people's opinions. when people compare it to, say, half life, halo, little big planet, call of duty, the entire logic of "you can't compare them" is thrown out the window, and newer games will most likely, in some way, be better. this is where my focus is at, not on the release-period of OoT.

i find it silly to compare it to newer games as well, but it is often on people's minds when "best game of all-time" is brought up. it happens somewhat often, especially in topics like this. in that sense, there is no set time period, and it is indeed overrated. if you're looking at the year it was released, it was groundbreaking, but in this day and age, saying it is the best game of all-time can be countered by many different games and many different opinions.

Back