• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

The "I learned something new today!" Thread

I learned that you can rearrange songs in a custom order on Spotify without deleting them and adding them in order. What a life-changer.

I have no idea if this is public knowledge, but I personally had no idea until just a few seconds ago.

A couple of days ago, I learned that the voice actor for Ozymandias and Hans Christian Andersen in Fate Go share the same voice actor (Japanese) as Aokiji from One Piece &
Zeke.

Today I learned that Glo Worms are a real toy and not just a thing in animated North American TV shows.

Culture is fun.

Today I learned that Glo Worms are a real toy and not just a thing in animated North American TV shows.

Culture is fun.
Yes! I had a Glo Worm growing up and I slept with it every night. I also had several of these miniature tabletop figures.

1713668304914.png

1713668399500.png

Jean Harlow bleached her hair weekly with a mixture of Clorox, ammonia, and soap flakes. This process damaged her hair. (not surprised) However, she claimed her hair color was natural. There was also a contest offering $10,000 to the hairdresser who could match her platinum blonde color. Nobody could.

Marlene Dietrich wanted to star in Nazi propaganda movies so she’d meet Hitler. She planned to seduce and kill him in bed. However, she realized she couldn’t hide the weapon if she was naked. She considered using a poisonous hairpin, but figured it wasn’t realistic.

Marlene Dietrich wanted to star in Nazi propaganda movies so she’d meet Hitler. She planned to seduce and kill him in bed. However, she realized she couldn’t hide the weapon if she was naked. She considered using a poisonous hairpin, but figured it wasn’t realistic.
That would actually be a really good idea if she did get to do it.

This is probably common knowledge, but I finally learned how to peel boiled eggs without them looking super ugly. You crack the bottom and peel the first bit off, then roll the egg in your hands to crack the rest of the shell. After a bit of cracking, the shell should just slide right off. Honestly blew my mind and I'm shocked I didn't know sooner.

today I learned that not only were Butch Hartman and Seth MacFarlane great friends at one point, but Seth literally named Family Guy's doctor after him (Dr. Elmer Hartman).

I binge watched Family Guy as a young teen and somehow never thought about or realized this until today hsjfjsgsfdjdjss

bottle nose dolphins and false killer whales have a documented friendship history of over 20 years. they swim, rest and hunt together! and also share food that they caught with each other 🥹

I saw a short on YouTube today talking about the cicada wave that is emerging in the next few weeks in USA (17 year and 13 year cicadas at the same time), and I guess there may be enough to feel water droplets when walking outside under trees??
Cicadas pee in the wind it turns out which is disgusting. And I did not know that, never heard of it but glad I know now I guess..
And here I thought I was going to be outside more this year..
Edit
Learned something else today too, another name for the waterbear/tardigrade is moss piglet. Lol

Last edited:
Sheena Easton is Scottish, as are the Bay City Rollers. I used to think Sheena was American, then British. I don’t know why them being Scottish was more surprising to me…maybe because the accent is so distinct, and then you don’t hear it in the songs?

Sheena Easton is Scottish, as are the Bay City Rollers. I used to think Sheena was American, then British. I don’t know why them being Scottish was more surprising to me…maybe because the accent is so distinct, and then you don’t hear it in the songs?
It’s probably Sheena’s collaboration with Prince in the mid 80s that made you think she was American. You can sort of hear an accent that is a tiny bit thicker in her songs from earlier in the decade such as For Your Eyes Only or Morning Train (9 to 5). The latter song is the easiest to hear the accent. Once you get to Sugar Walls, you can tell that her singing is definitely different and her voice seems to sing words much clearer as if she had an American accent. I don’t know how else to describe it but her work with Prince made her voice sound slightly different than before.

It’s probably Sheena’s collaboration with Prince in the mid 80s that made you think she was American. You can sort of hear an accent that is a tiny bit thicker in her songs from earlier in the decade such as For Your Eyes Only or Morning Train (9 to 5). The latter song is the easiest to hear the accent. Once you get to Sugar Walls, you can tell that her singing is definitely different and her voice seems to sing words much clearer as if she had an American accent. I don’t know how else to describe it but her work with Prince made her voice sound slightly different than before.
Oh definitely! I first heard “Morning Train”, but I really got into “Strut”, “Sugar Walls,” and “Telefone (Long Distance Love Affair”. I’ll have to re-listen to “Morning Train” to pick up on the accent.

I learned that there’s an actress named Kim Director. I had to reread it a few times when I first saw the phrase “actress Kim Director”. 😂

The internet browser for the 3DS is still working. I know because I was playing Pokémon Crystal and I wanted to know if Spinarak could use Cut and I Googled it.

Back