The Differences between the US and UK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it illegal to declaw cats in the UK? That's perfectly legal here, but a lot of people consider it animal abuse.

Isn't it illegal to declaw cats in the UK? That's perfectly legal here, but a lot of people consider it animal abuse.

In my area, it's illegal. I live in California, United States.

Tbh, I don't get this thread. The US isn't just one, small area where everything is exactly the same and neither is the UK. Declawing may be legal in Ohio but not in California so is it legal in the US? Yes and No...

In my area, it's illegal. I live in California, United States.

Tbh, I don't get this thread. The US isn't just one, small area where everything is exactly the same and neither is the UK. Declawing may be legal in Ohio but not in California so is it legal in the US? Yes and No...

I think we're discussing general culture differences that affect the US and the UK citizens overall.

And I don't live in Ohio.

Did I say you lived in Ohio?

Omfg. I was just trying to have a civilized conversation with you, and felt you'd implied that I lived in Ohio, but if you're gonna be a jerk then just STFU. I don't have time for this negativity in my life. I'm just trying to enjoy the damn thread.

Damn. You got defensive fast. Do you have something against Ohio or something?

Omfg. I was just trying to have a civilized conversation with you, and felt you'd implied that I lived in Ohio, but if you're gonna be a jerk then just STFU. I don't have time for this negativity in my life. I'm just trying to enjoy the damn thread.

His user title explains his personality. If you want to enjoy the thread, don't talk to who's being rude towards you.

Anyway, I've been ignored when I brought up the left-driving nations and right-driving nations. Most of the former British Commonwealth nations are left-driving nations (where you are required to drive on the left side of the road). The UK is obviously one of the left-driving nations, and so is Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. The majority of the world are right-driving nations (where you drive on the right side of the road). The US is a major example, and so is Canada. What do you think about driving on the other side of the road?

His user title explains his personality. If you want to enjoy the thread, don't talk to who's being rude towards you.

Anyway, I've been ignored when I brought up the left-driving nations and right-driving nations. Most of the former British Commonwealth nations are left-driving nations (where you are required to drive on the left side of the road). The UK is obviously one of the left-driving nations, and so is Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa. The majority of the world are right-driving nations (where you drive on the right side of the road). The US is a major example, and so is Canada. What do you think about driving on the other side of the road?

Well there's not much to it really. It's exactly the same but driving on the other side, isn't it?

The US still uses fahrenheit whereas the uk (and most of the world) uses Celcius.

Last edited:
But he's Scottish by blood? I am so confused on this @_@

Stan Lee didn't create Captain America....

Wow, you've completely misunderstood a lot. Okay, see, the reason why Stan Lee is famous is because he came up with the IDEA for Captain America, Spider-Man, and the X-Men for Marvel. But, yeah, he put them to print with the help of Steve Ditko and Jack Kirby. He was still brilliant for coming up with the ideas and you can't say he wasn't.

-----I mean, look at J.R.R.Tolkien. All he did was rip-off centuries old mythology from around Europe, change it slightly, and set the story in MiddleEarth. Plus, he was a terrible writer. Everyone I've spoken to agrees with me that Tolkien is a terrible writer with good ideas, but really the only idea that was actually his and his alone with the idea to make Elvish an actual language, which was brilliant. But I think he pretty much stabbed all ancient European cultures in the heart when he not only warped their mythology for his own uses, but he used to them to write a story that is a metaphor for Christianity. Does he get any hate?
No, and yet you're sitting here going off on Stan Lee-------

-- one of the most brilliant minds of our lifetimes -- because he pulled the ideas for his characters out of thin air, and then went to his writer and artist friends and said, "Hey, you wanna help me turn this into a comic?" Oh, and, uh, also -- the reason he tends to get more credit than Steve Ditko or Jack Kirby is because those two are both dead! He's the only one alive to take the credit!
Who cares if he wanted a cameo in the movie? It was probably a joke, first of all. Second, he could be a Batman fan, which would make him even more awesome. Not only that but it is entirely likely that he probably knew Bob Kane, was/is a fan of his work, and wanted to be in the movie out of his respect for him.
And, no, no, no, no. NO. I never stated he was a writer just like I never said any of the others were writers. Arthur Miller was actually a playwright. Alfred Hitchcock was a director as was/is Wes Craven. Audrey Hepburn is one of the most iconic actresses of all freaking time. Do you know what Stan Lee has in common with them? They are all famous, iconic AMERICANS that have had a cultural impact on the world!
That is what Stan Lee is representative of in my original post.

Tolkien's work was inspired by European (particularly Scandinavian/Nordic) mythology, he didn't take it all, slap a different sticker on it and call it his own work. He took concepts from different parts of it and created a story out of something he was passionate about. As to people calling it "terrible writing", they're wrong - the only people I meet that call it "terrible writing" are the kind of people that also think that every film you watch should be non-stop action with 90% CGI being used throughout. Tolkien took the time to make his books descriptive enough that you can imagine you were there, if you want easy-reading, I guess you could call it "terrible writing", but it's not Tolkien's intellect and creativity that's in question because of that.

Unfortunately I can't really comment on Stan Lee, I know very little about him. If he did steal the concepts from other people and call them his own, I can't really say he'd be a very good representative of American literature, at least in terms of integrity.

Last edited:
You can't really compare literature of a country that has had hundreds upon hundred upon hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of years to get it down to, a country that has only had what 300+ years. So of course when people have been in Europe before and longer than white people have been here you're going to have the head start and advancement. I mean I do agree with you, its just not a fair comparison as things we're really developed in the UK by the time America was 100% free.

Compared to the UK, Europe, I mean even parts of Asia, we're still in the rebel teen stage. Hit us up in 200 years and see what have then? (It'll probably worse, but who knows?)

Well I was kinda stating what I liked about both countries. It wasn`t meant as critic on the US. Being a citizen of neither country, I thought it be nice (mostly for myself) to make note of what stands out for me with both countries concerned. Since I like to read, literature deserves a mention.

I agree its an unfair comparison though, but thats inevitable when you ask for differences between the two. Because it shows in pretty much everything important. So basically I agree with you as well. Its just fun to think about. They do have a totally different feel about them, although many people especially with political issues name them together in one breath.

Tolkien's work was inspired by European (particularly Scandinavian/Nordic) mythology, he didn't take it all, slap a different sticker on it and call it his own work. He took concepts from different parts of it and created a story out of something he was passionate about. As to people calling it "terrible writing", they're wrong - the only people I meet that call it "terrible writing" are the kind of people that also think that every film you watch should be non-stop action with 90% CGI being used throughout. Tolkien took the time to make his books descriptive enough that you can imagine you were there, if you want easy-reading, I guess you could call it "terrible writing", but it's not Tolkien's intellect and creativity that's in question because of that.

Unfortunately I can't really comment on Stan Lee, I know very little about him. If he did steal the concepts from other people and call them his own, I can't really say he'd be a very good representative of American literature, at least in terms of integrity.

I disagree, first of all. Second of all, the people said Tolkien was a terrible writer because he is. His work drags on and on and on -- in one book he wrote, like, 50 pages just about singing! My husband is a HUGE nerd, and he LOVES LtoR, but he couldn't finish the books because they dragged so badly. Just because he had brilliant ideas that doesn't mean he was a brilliant writer. If you don't believe me, check out the reviews for Tolkien's books on Goodreads.com. A lot of them are reviews made by people that loved the movie franchise, but just couldn't get into the books.
And Stan Lee didn't steal ideas from anyone. He came up with the original concepts for the characters, and his partners helped him perfect them.

fun fact (it's not fun i'm just bored): People used to always travel on the left in more violent times, as most people were/are right handed, and being on the left made sure that the sword hand was near anyone who would be travelling in the different direction, and he could strike from further away, thus why the UK + some others drive on the left.

but yeah American roads confuse me, I can't imagine having to drive over there once being used to UK roads! it'd probably be easier eventually but the transition would be ridiculous.

I disagree, first of all. Second of all, the people said Tolkien was a terrible writer because he is. His work drags on and on and on -- in one book he wrote, like, 50 pages just about singing! My husband is a HUGE nerd, and he LOVES LtoR, but he couldn't finish the books because they dragged so badly. Just because he had brilliant ideas that doesn't mean he was a brilliant writer. If you don't believe me, check out the reviews for Tolkien's books on Goodreads.com. A lot of them are reviews made by people that loved the movie franchise, but just couldn't get into the books.
And Stan Lee didn't steal ideas from anyone. He came up with the original concepts for the characters, and his partners helped him perfect them.

See, I read LotR after hearing so much about how it drags on and on, but I didn't get that feeling at all. From a literary standpoint, LotR is pretty amazing. Things are constantly happening, and people who write things like, "He spends 3 chapters talking about the grass!!!" are greatly exaggerating. Tolkien manages to introduce a huge array of characters and plots, complete with twists and turns...and then gives everyone and everything a nice conclusion. Tokien was building a world, complete with its own history, languages, romances, etc. I, personally, found LotR to be a fascinating and immersive read. Yes, other people might not like Tokien's style of prose, but that by no means makes him a "terrible writer."

See, I read LotR after hearing so much about how it drags on and on, but I didn't get that feeling at all. From a literary standpoint, LotR is pretty amazing. Things are constantly happening, and people who write things like, "He spends 3 chapters talking about the grass!!!" are greatly exaggerating. Tolkien manages to introduce a huge array of characters and plots, complete with twists and turns...and then gives everyone and everything a nice conclusion. Tokien was building a world, complete with its own history, languages, romances, etc. I, personally, found LotR to be a fascinating and immersive read. Yes, other people might not like Tokien's style of prose, but that by no means makes him a "terrible writer."

Okay, yeah, but here's the thing about fantasy: You're not supposed to the world build in the actual novel. That's what the planning process is for. That is something fantasy writers have to learned from Tolkien because he did the exact opposite. It's, like, he published his rough draft and, like, half of his notes.

Okay, yeah, but here's the thing about fantasy: You're not supposed to the world build in the actual novel. That's what the planning process is for. That is something fantasy writers have to learned from Tolkien because he did the exact opposite. It's, like, he published his rough draft and, like, half of his notes.

I don't really think you can say there's a right or wrong way to write fantasy. Some people like his style, some don't. It doesn't mean he was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back