Texas seceding from the US

Do you think Texas should secede from the US?

• For Texas seceding from the US

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Against Texas seceding from the US

Votes: 21 30.9%
  • I don't care

Votes: 38 55.9%

• Total voters

Midoriya

Go beyond! Plus ultra!
Bells
Switch
1119-7626-0996
Island
Sumeru
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Purple Hybrid Rose
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
Spring Sakura
So I was watching the local news at around 12:00 AM and noticed they were covering a small story about a coalition of people somewhere in Texas (don't remember where) trying to get people to sign a petition (a large one) for Texas to secede from the US (United States). I personally live in Texas, but I'm not really sure what to think about this (I'm only 18). I mean cool, I guess?? It would be cool to live in our own country, and they said the statistics and resources claims say we can thrive without being a part of the US, but I mean why do it?? What are the actual benefits of doing it?? And what benefits do we lose if we become not part of the US anymore?? If anyone could give any insight on this it would be much appreciated, as I'm utterly confused. Are you for or against Texas seceding from the US, or do you just not care?? I personally think I'd be for it, but only because, like the people trying to get signatures, a lot of us are tired of having to deal with how the US is being run and we want to start fresh. There's a poll here too so you can vote. :)

Also, for those of you that don't know, Texas was its own country back in 1836-1846 when the Texas Revolution happened against the Mexican army lead by General Santa De Anna, and after several major hard-fought battles, including The Alamo, where a coalition of 120 (about) Texas soldiers fought for 13 days in a fortified fort called The Alamo killing thousands of Mexican soldiers until on the 13th day the Mexicans stormed in with most all their soldiers and killed every single Texas soldier. One of the other hard-fought battles was in The Battle of Goliad, where the Texas cavalry fought against the Mexican soldiers, but in the end were all captured and said they would be given jail time by the general. However, when each of them were let to walk out of the prison house they were each shot and slaughtered one by one by a Mexican soldier. The final battle was fought in San Jacinto near a river where the sleeping, already drained Mexican force was attacked by The Texas Cavalry shouting "Remember the Alamo! Remember Goliad!", and captured by the remnants of the Texas Revolution and thus Texas became its own country, The Republic of Texas for 10 years until they decided to join the US. Just sharing that for relevancy. (*COUGH*Certainly not because of Texas pride or anything*COUGH*:rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Texas has been saying this for a long time. Who knows if it'll actually happen.

There's actually other states that want to secede. I lived in Hawaii for 3 years and there's a secession movement there as well. It actually makes more sense for Hawaii than even for Texas. Hawaii was its own kingdom for a long time, but in the late 1800s some American lawyers overthrew the Hawaiian monarchy for profit (sugar plantations were HUGE at the time in Hawaii and made lots of money) and annexation to the US reasons. Yep, that's right, we pretty much forcibly took Hawaii for ourselves.

There's actually other states that want to secede. I lived in Hawaii for 3 years and there's a secession movement there as well. It actually makes more sense for Hawaii than even for Texas. Hawaii was its own kingdom for a long time, but in the late 1800s some American lawyers overthrew the Hawaiian monarchy for profit (sugar plantations were HUGE at the time in Hawaii and made lots of money) and annexation to the US reasons. Yep, that's right, we pretty much forcibly took Hawaii for ourselves.

Ah, that's right. Hawaii WAS its own country (or kingdom) at one point too. Wasn't the name of the king something like King Kamehameha?? I read it somewhere and thought it was hilarious since nowadays people would relate Kamehameha with Dragon Ball Z :')

they always wanna leave. tbh at this point idc but it would **** me up bc then i would have to remember the new map of the us

I don't really care. They've had a few other secession movements before, but I doubt it would actually happen.

It would definitely be interesting to see it all played out. I live in Canada so I'm not too much involved with problems related to the United States so I'm not really sure about the ramifications, but here in Canada, there was an analogous movement to separate the province of Quebec from Canada and have it as its own country. If I recall correctly, the vote for whether Quebec should be a separate country or not was very close to 50-50.

"WOW! These pineapples are amazing! From Hawaii you say? I guess I'll just take the whole place!" -Some white man probably.

I lived in Texas for 2 years of my life, I don't remember it but I imagine it as hot. Honestly the only reason my I wouldn't want them to secede is because then the number of states wouldn't be a round number, that would drive me crazy.

As someone who is living in Texas, I don't know how I feel about it. There are a lot of bigots here, but because of the in fluctuation of hispanic and black people, someday Texas might actually become a democratic state, which doesn't make it better but at least it won't be run by religious people. Nothing against religious people, but there's a reason that the law: separation of church for state exists.

Saying that Texas should secede won't fix the problems. It won't make the people in Texas go away, they'll just head up to different states, because if it leaves, the American people might not necessarily want to leave America. After all, they are.../so proud/....to live in America, (ug). I don't like it here. It's...gross, there's sexist men everywhere and the women are all catty. At least, in this town that's how it works and it's terrible.

I'm actually for it. The federal government is now corrupt. Because Obama violated the constitution several times, as his laws passed were very bad for society (and that the Supreme Court approves), we need to get out. We can still do trading with the rest of the nation like American businesses can operate here while Texas business operate outside, but we will be completely exempt from Obama's policies, including Obamacare. But then again, secession was what caused the Civil War the last time, so we're not going to secede. Besides, if we do, we're still weaker than the rest of the nation combined.

I don't care that much since I'm not from the US. However I would love to see another huge political fight start which will probably be all over the internet for weeks. not.

Can somebody summarize me the situation in simple language. I don't really understand all the fuss but that's probably because I don't know how the politics are organized within the US.

I don't care that much since I'm not from the US. However I would love to see another huge political fight start which will probably be all over the internet for weeks. not.

Can somebody summarize me the situation in simple language. I don't really understand all the fuss but that's probably because I don't know how the politics are organized within the US.

The thing here is that Texas was once a republic before it became a state. It wanted to operate on its own. The states ideologies are completely isolated from the rest of the nation, and the federal government abused their powers among the states several times. Texas was the most sensitive. It did secede from the US before, but I don't know if it's going to happen again.

The thing here is that Texas was once a republic before it became a state. It wanted to operate on its own. The states ideologies are completely isolated from the rest of the nation, and the federal government abused their powers among the states several times. Texas was the most sensitive. It did secede from the US before, but I don't know if it's going to happen again.

So the government of the US in general has a leading role in guiding the governments of the states if I understand correctly? It sounds to me like these states, or atleast Texas is more independent than they should when I follow the definition of the word state. So it's just a case of never doing anything about it and letting it come so far that they want complete independency again. Why did they accept a state to be complete independent from the US government in the first place?

So the government of the US in general has a leading role in guiding the governments of the states if I understand correctly? It sounds to me like these states, or atleast Texas is more independent than they should when I follow the definition of the word state. So it's just a case of never doing anything about it and letting it come so far that they want complete independency again. Why did they accept a state to be complete independent from the US government in the first place?

Well all states have their own states rights. It's protected by the 10th Amendment. It means each state had their own state government, and some laws differ in different states. But there are federal policies that apply to the entire nation. No matter what policy you pass, it's going to be bad for at least one state. Let's say that you want to put a heavy tax on potatoes. Idaho will be harmed by it. Or let's say you want to ban syrup production in the US. New England would be greatly affected. It appears that stuff like Obamacare have a low approval rating in the south, even if they are the ones with the most needs for free healthcare. There are other policies that are bad for Texas.

And no, there are no bans on syrup or tax on potatoes. You won't enjoy your pancakes or get your fries if this happens. I'm just demonstrating.

Last edited:
Well all states have their own states rights. It's protected by the 10th Amendment. It means each state had their own state government, and some laws differ in different states. But there are federal policies that apply to the entire nation. No matter what policy you pass, it's going to be bad for at least one state. Let's say that you want to put a heavy tax on potatoes. Idaho will be harmed by it. Or let's say you want to ban syrup production in the US. New England would be greatly affected. It appears that stuff like Obamacare have a low approval rating in the south, even if they are the ones with the most needs for free healthcare. There are other policies that are bad for Texas.

And no, there are no bans on syrup or tax on potatoes. You won't enjoy your pancakes or get your fries if this happens. I'm just demonstrating.

I can understand that some political flows don't fit with specific states as US is just such a big country but why do they want independency in that case just right before a new election? Are they just too pessimistic looking at the future to wait for it? Do they feel like every political flow doesn't fit Texas their needs? I see the advantages of becoming an own country and I don't know how long this situation is already going on but becoming a country by yourself probably means no help from the US government in this situation I guess?

Also, that's a bummer.

Last edited:
I don't care. They can do whatever they want. Also, I thought this happened awhile ago. Are they still at it?

Back