• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

TBT Fair 2017 Review: Part 2

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Last time in my TBT Fair Review, I went over the strengths and weaknesses of this year's fair. I also went over what I would change in the next TBT Fair. This part is ranking every contest, event, championship series, and arcade games.

Carousel of Contests:

• #1: Animal Crossing Retro Room Renovation - interior design contests are always fun, and this year's theme was actually a good theme. What you do here is that in Happy Home Designer or in New Leaf, you must redesign a room into an arcade. Somehow, a basic arcade would be seen everywhere, so I put in a twist where it's both an arcade and a restaurant. Yes, I remodeled the Café into a dine-in arcade. Sadly, it didn't even make it to the polls, but I enjoyed this contest.
  • #2: Design-a-Villager & Interior - last year, I felt that this was the interior design contest, but it seems more like a hybrid of an interior design contest and a poetry contest.
  • #3: Retro Drawing Contest - although Laudine ran the best event in the Event Pavillion, I didn't enjoy the Retro Drawing Contest as much as the others. I'm not into art contests in general, hence it being in last place. Not to mention, but due to how few contests there are, it got its rank as last.
Event Pavillion:

• #1: Bucket of Paint - once again, Laudine's line-art made it to the top of the list. It's not just my favorite event from last year, but we are given bonus line-art to do. We have one big challenge to seek a staff favorite from, and three smaller weekly challenges just for more tickets and more fun. My favorite of the weekly challenges is the second one, with Kirby and Beau McCloud (a portmanteau of Star Fox and the lazy deer villager) a dining table.
  • #2: Count Inside the Bottle - while most of them you have to get a staff favorite to win the limited-time animated collectible, others you need to do better. Normally, you see candies in each jar, but Oblivia was more evil this year than last year. That first one, had pogs instead of candies. They are small and flat. I never even had pogs before. I was born in 1993, so I was too young to remember pogs. And I didn't do as well this year. But the event was fun.
  • #3: New Leaf Photo Challenge - it was ranked at 2 last year, but it's moved to 3 since I liked the counting one more. What I like about this is how you are given more chances to win staff favorites while earning more tickets. You can simply take photos in ACNL and upload them here.
  • #4: The Mega Bombdigity Scavenger Hunt - despite ticket delays, this year's scavenger hunt was better than last year's. We have to find stuff from the 80's. Not once have I seen a scavenger hunt match the theme of the fair. And this scavenger hunt has the spirit. The reason why I rank it higher is because of how fun it is to find items and get a picture of it.
  • #5: Cooking Event - originally, I wasn't going to participate in this event, but since I wanted to get that line-art item before it sells out and since the Chopped Event isn't getting a repeat, I decided to step in and show off a cake resembling a Rubik's Cube. It didn't rank as high because of how I liked the scavenger hunt and photo challenge more, but if it weren't for the Bucket of Paint and Count Inside the Bottle, it would be in my top 3. But at least this event fits with the spirit of the TBT fair since it's all about the 80's and video games.
  • #6: Real Life Pixel Art - this event is more akin to Paint the Night and Build a Birthday Hat from 2016 and 2014 (respectively), since it was a side art contest related to the Fair's theme. It wasn't as good as the events I named from above, but still solid.
  • #7: Avatar and Signature Retro Rewind - even if no avatar and signature contest exists this year, we at least had it through the event pavillion. Since we don't do much other than customize your profile, whether you make the avatar and signature yourself or not, I didn't enjoy this event as much.
  • #8: House of Mirrors - this event was Hell. Last year's mirrors were pretty bad, but this year's mirrors were worse. The three biggest nightmares were the Kracko mirror, the Zelda mirror, and the Peach mirror. I didn't get a single one right, but at least the community was entertaining. Somehow, Kracko has become a mascot of the TBT Fair after the second mirror. But the very worst one was the butterfly mirror that turns out to be Princess Peach. This one was brutal. Even the Egg Hunt was better than this.
  • #9: Discord Trivia Night - at the bottom is my least favorite of the events. Since it was more of a typing contest, this event was stressful. In fact, I didn't even participate in it this year (except for the second half of the second one).

Championship Series:

Since I did not participate in any of the Championship Series, I couldn't rank any of them. But if I had to rank the four sections, this would be my least favorite as the Arcade would be my favorite.

Arcade:

• #1: Tetris - my favorite games in general are puzzles, including Tetris, Puzzle League, and whatever puzzle Thin Ice from Club Penguin is (I made a similar game to that in Little Big Planet 2). Since I am very good at Tetris, I wouldn't rank this any lower than 1.
  • #2: Breakout - a classic game to see in the arcade is the games with a pad and a ball as it hits the blocks. The lack of power-ups when hitting the blocks show how primitive this game is. But I'm okay with it.
  • #3: Snake - before I joined TV.com, I used to be on Neopets, and a game similar to this was Meerca Chase, where you control a Meerca to eat the neggs. Eat a red one (which are bombs), hit a wall, or hit your tail, then the game is over. The game Snake was a much more primitive version to that. I had fun with this.
  • #4: Simon - believe me, I do have a good memory. I can play it all day, as Simon Says is quite fun.
  • #5: Helicopter - when I first played this, it was not a good game. But after playing it for a while, it can get addicting.
  • #6: Asteroids - one of the last games I played was this classic shooter game, where you shoot at the asteroids to see them get smaller.
  • #7: Goldminer - I would put this at last place, but since there are three other games I would rank below, it got a stable spot at 7. I'm okay with grabbing for gold, but I didn't have interest into this game.
  • #8: Space Invaders - it may be one of the mascots of this year's fair, but Galaga and Galaxian are much better than this. I didn't like the sound effects of this game that made it like a song.
  • #9: Fishy - this game is really fishy. While some users were able to generate high scores, mine were low. I don't think it's hard, but the gameplay isn't that good.
  • #10: Hexxagon - definitely my least favorite game here. Not only it's not fun, but I feel that the AI is cheating.
--End of Part 2--​

Back