• Guest, you are invited to participate in designing an upcoming community Balloon collectible for release in a future forum event! Click here for more details.
  • It's coming back by popular demand! The Bell Tree World Championship! After three years, our grand gaming event will return on May 18th with ten Nintendo Switch games to play, both competitively and casually. Signups for the event are now open as explained in the new Bell Tree World Championship 2024 thread!

Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town announced!

Here’s some promising sounding updates:

I’m still going to hold off on buying the game until most/all updates are out as well as DLC. Just to be sure they deliver on their promises before I send them my money.

I’m only in summer of the first year and I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer for me.

1. Is there an easier way to fill the barn with fodder than taking it out of the silo manually?
2. Will the suction pump work on that huge pond too? (The one by the silo)
3. Do I have to plant fodder outside for my animals? If so, will it die in winter?

Last edited:
I’m only in summer of the first year and I have a few questions hopefully someone can answer for me.

1. Is there an easier way to fill the barn with fodder than taking it out of the silo manually?
3. Do I have to plant fodder outside for my animals? If so, will it die in winter?

there could be a better way to do these things but here's what i've been doing

1. at the beginning it might just be easier to have some fodder in your inventory so you can refill the barn at any time. you can eventually craft an automatic fodder dispenser that takes from the silo
2. yep, you can use the suction pump on the big ponds, but it takes a few days with just one so you'll need a bit more coal from mining. you could craft more to get it done faster
3. i believe animals just graze outside regardless of whether you plant fodder or not. planting it is just convenient so you don't have to keep buying it from the store. it does die in winter, though, so stock up!

Got the game the day before Easter. I am really enjoying it so far. :)

1. Once you get your Animal Caretaking level up a bit, you'll be able to build an item so you don't have to run out to the silo to get fodder.
2. Yes. The suction pump is pretty much needed to drain the lakes. If you drain both of them, you'll unlock a new location once they fill back up with pure water.
3. Only if you want to make your own fodder instead of buying it. Yes, it does die in winter. And in this game you do have to water it.

I bought this game when it came out, I really enjoy it. I think there's some issues with it but hopefully future updates help. I bought/downloaded the expansion pass, I can't wait till all of that content is released over time

1.0.5 finally came out in Japan today! Not sure how long it'll take for everyone else to get the update, but I think I'll go ahead and finally get the game this week, then start playing once it's out here.

Can someone help me with something? Is the version 1.0.5 out in the US? If it is, I can’t seem to download it. I tried deleting the software and reinstalling it, but it only goes up to 1.0.4, which was the update before...

Can someone help me with something? Is the version 1.0.5 out in the US? If it is, I can’t seem to download it. I tried deleting the software and reinstalling it, but it only goes up to 1.0.4, which was the update before...

It's only available in Japan.

Anyone have more thoughts on this game? I see it’s 20% off (30% off the dlc bundle) on the eshop right now.

Even with the sale I’m still hesitant to buy it. The DLC sounds uninspired and even with Japan having the “big” update already I keep hearing that they are still disappointed with the dialogue in this game.

I'm still enjoying the game as a whole, though I have paused for a bit just until the big update drops for us.

I think overall this game was released prematurely. It might have to do with the new director or new console or maybe something else. The windswept falls DLC was a bit disappointing because besides adding in Neil and Felicia as marriage candidates, there's nothing to do in the new area. Still don't know about the next few DLCs, but hopefully they're better.

Again, I still think it's a really fun game, I'm just not enjoying it as much as previous games (HM: ANB, SoS, SoS:ToT).

This is my first game of the series and I'm having a hard time getting into it. It just seems so slow to me. I don't know if it gets better the more you advance, but I don't play it much. I just picked up Rune Factory 4 on the otherhand, and I'm totally into that. I'm curious to hear other opinions on Pioneers of Olive Town.

Last edited:
I'm still enjoying the game as a whole, though I have paused for a bit just until the big update drops for us.

I think overall this game was released prematurely. It might have to do with the new director or new console or maybe something else. The windswept falls DLC was a bit disappointing because besides adding in Neil and Felicia as marriage candidates, there's nothing to do in the new area. Still don't know about the next few DLCs, but hopefully they're better.

Again, I still think it's a really fun game, I'm just not enjoying it as much as previous games (HM: ANB, SoS, SoS:ToT).

Thanks for your input. I will probably still hold off on the game despite the sale then. Even if I do end up getting the game down the road after some nice updates come out I don't really see myself getting the DLC if it's basically just more of what you're saying the first part is. Doesn't sound like the DLC is worth the $25 (in my country) to me.

I also still have Rune Factory 4 and SOS Friends of Mineral Town I haven't had time to finish so I still have other games I can play in the meantime.

i got PoOT during the E3 sale and i’m waiting for the 1.05 update to drop before i play more than an ingame week of it, but i definitely agree with the consensus that it’s a really fun game, but not their best. i definitely think it was released early & have complaints about the DLC (the areas are ridiculously barren + it would’ve been better if they just had the characters visit town instead of throw them into these little isolated areas, the fact it’s 20$ full price essentially just for the cameo candidates, something former games used to include for free, etc. etc.)

i think with the update the dialogue should be fine since XSEED mentioned it was something their localisation team was very excited about and they’re very good with dialogue + a friend who’s played more than me says the heart event dialogue is fantastic & it’s just the everyday dialogue that falls flat, but it’s definitely a mixed bag. don’t think I’d recommend it to new fans of the series, but if you’ve played multiple bokumono games and liked them it’s worth a(n enjoyable) try 😌

one complaint i will make though very openly not related to the dlc is that I hate the fishing. it crushes me bc I LOVE fishing minigames but I can’t stand the fishing mechanic and even when following the instructions exactly, even the easiest of fish get away from me 90% of the time because they take so long to catch 0/10
Post automatically merged:

This is my first game of the series and I'm having a hard time getting into it. It just seems so slow to me. I don't know if it gets better the more you advance, but I don't play it much. I just picked up Rune Factory 4 on the otherhand, and I'm totally into that. I'm curious to hear other opinions on Pioneers of Olive Town.
oh if it’s your first and you’re having a hard time with it I DEFINITELY recommend trying a different SOS game, maybe one of the older ones since the newer ones tend to start really slow because of tutorials 😅 they pick up quickly enough if you keep playing, but if it’s slow to you, you might wanna look into another one to try. glad you’re enjoying RF4 though! it’s hard to feel like a RF game is going slowly because you have the combat to pursue when you’re not focusing on farming

i got PoOT during the E3 sale and i’m waiting for the 1.05 update to drop before i play more than an ingame week of it, but i definitely agree with the consensus that it’s a really fun game, but not their best. i definitely think it was released early & have complaints about the DLC (the areas are ridiculously barren + it would’ve been better if they just had the characters visit town instead of throw them into these little isolated areas, the fact it’s 20$ full price essentially just for the cameo candidates, something former games used to include for free, etc. etc.)

i think with the update the dialogue should be fine since XSEED mentioned it was something their localisation team was very excited about and they’re very good with dialogue + a friend who’s played more than me says the heart event dialogue is fantastic & it’s just the everyday dialogue that falls flat, but it’s definitely a mixed bag. don’t think I’d recommend it to new fans of the series, but if you’ve played multiple bokumono games and liked them it’s worth a(n enjoyable) try 😌

one complaint i will make though very openly not related to the dlc is that I hate the fishing. it crushes me bc I LOVE fishing minigames but I can’t stand the fishing mechanic and even when following the instructions exactly, even the easiest of fish get away from me 90% of the time because they take so long to catch 0/10
Post automatically merged:

oh if it’s your first and you’re having a hard time with it I DEFINITELY recommend trying a different SOS game, maybe one of the older ones since the newer ones tend to start really slow because of tutorials 😅 they pick up quickly enough if you keep playing, but if it’s slow to you, you might wanna look into another one to try. glad you’re enjoying RF4 though! it’s hard to feel like a RF game is going slowly because you have the combat to pursue when you’re not focusing on farming
Thanks for the suggestion! I was considering getting an older title, but was concerned I'd experience the same thing. I'll give it a shot!

I still enjoy the game, just bothered by some things.
- I really really really miss character portraits. I miss being able to see the characters expression change depending on the dialogue. I'd rather have character portraits than character voices (most of the voices aren't good and don't even match what I imagine them to sound like)

- The "big" 1.0.5 update doesn't fix the makers problem imo. All it's doing is letting you increase the amount of items you can make in each, but it doesn't make it any faster from what I've seen. The biggest issue for me is that there's SO MANY makers (22 total). SoS had just 6 makers total. SoS:ToT had just 10 makers total. It was so much more organized and concise. For example, instead of having a Cheese Maker, Yogurt Maker, and Butter Maker, you would just have a Dairy Factory. On top of that, previous games listed all the items you could make including the materials needed and how many of each to make said item. In PoOT on the other hand, you have to guess/ look up online what exactly you're making since it's not labeled and figure out what else it can make. 22 makers also takes up so much damn space.

- Why did they have to make cooking use up so much time? I know the update adjusts it slightly but it's still ridiculous since it wasn't in previous games (at least I don't think it was).

- Wanting to relocate barnes, coops, and storage boxes. I miss having the storage box in your house, along with a tool box. I miss the designer mode that allowed you to move things with ease without having to manually input all the items back in. It's almost like they were trying to make this game annoying for us.

That's pretty much it. Might add more if I think of anything else. Just needed to vent since I love this series so much but was shocked at so many things. I just....don't understand the thought process behind so many choices they've made with this game. I can't think of a single thing they've made more convenient in this game compared to the others, besides maybe bulk tree chopping/rock smashing. Both of which I don't remember being that big of an issue anyway.

Last edited:
Back