• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Speed-running

Do you watch speedrunners?

• Yes, I love them

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • No, I hate them

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • What’s speedrunning?

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Total voters

Gabby

Ancient Member
Bells
White Pansy
White Pansy
Red Rose
Red Rose
Purple Violet
White Violet
White Hyacinth
White Hyacinth
Golden Watering Can
Any speedrunners or speedrunning enthusiasts on TBT? I like to watch Mario 64 speed run and Super Mario Sunshine. I also watch GDQ whenever it runs, a good time to waste a week on the couch watching people play games fast. I also like it for good background videos. What are y’all’s takes?

watching runs is fun, but attempting one is a whooole different story… i tried speedrunning earthbound and i gave up like halfway through. 😭 i admire the commitment these people have to learning pixel perfect techniques

watching runs is fun, but attempting one is a whooole different story… i tried speedrunning earthbound and i gave up like halfway through. 😭 i admire the commitment these people have to learning pixel perfect techniques
I hear this. That’s cool you tried tho! You have to spend sooo much time learning tricks, it really does take dedication.

I tried to make a speedrun once for the game “Banished” but speedrun.com rejected me :(

My husband speedrun Mario 64 70 stars. He hasn’t for a while, but he was doing pretty good for a while.

I love ZFG 🥰
He is pretty much the only Speedrunner I watch nowadays. His voice is just so calming and it's fun to watch Zelda speedruns.
There is also gymnast86 that I occasionally watch. My alltime favorite Speedrunner is / was FramePerfection. He's so skilled, but I dunno.. I can only enjoy speedruns that have a voiceover and he's not doing lot of that anymore. :(

Oh yeah and there is EazySpeezy well, he speedruns pretty much anything and everything. Sure, he's not the worlds best speedrunner in those games, but to see all the tricks etc. in a game I would normally never check out is fun!

I love ZFG 🥰
He is pretty much the only Speedrunner I watch nowadays. His voice is just so calming and it's fun to watch Zelda speedruns.
There is also gymnast86 that I occasionally watch. My alltime favorite Speedrunner is / was FramePerfection. He's so skilled, but I dunno.. I can only enjoy speedruns that have a voiceover and he's not doing lot of that anymore. :(

Oh yeah and there is EazySpeezy well, he speedruns pretty much anything and everything. Sure, he's not the worlds best speedrunner in those games, but to see all the tricks etc. in a game I would normally never check out is fun!
I’ve watched a lot of ZFG! He’s pretty fun. I haven’t heard of the others though!

I love watching speedruns! It's interesting how people find ways just to cut even fractions of a second to beat the world record.
Summoning Salt is one of my favorite speedrun essay writers, they post once every 2 months or so but the quality, research, and effort they put into each video is really nice.
EazySpeezy is another speedrunner I watch on occasions, I appreciate them explaining their speedrun process step by step, and while they don't get high world records, it's amazing how they quickly adapt to each game and put out regular content. That takes some serious skill!

I personally haven't attempted a speedrun, it's not really something I'd have fun doing since I don't like repetitive gameplay lol (I'm really jus lazy). But watching people dedicated to the game is really fun!

No. I don’t feel like you get your money’s worth rushing through games like that. I like to enjoy it and take my time. I don’t understand why there’s any rush to reach certain milestones or to beat the game. As for watching them, I don’t do that either.

I love watching speedruns! It's interesting how people find ways just to cut even fractions of a second to beat the world record.
Summoning Salt is one of my favorite speedrun essay writers, they post once every 2 months or so but the quality, research, and effort they put into each video is really nice.
EazySpeezy is another speedrunner I watch on occasions, I appreciate them explaining their speedrun process step by step, and while they don't get high world records, it's amazing how they quickly adapt to each game and put out regular content. That takes some serious skill!

I personally haven't attempted a speedrun, it's not really something I'd have fun doing since I don't like repetitive gameplay lol (I'm really jus lazy). But watching people dedicated to the game is really fun!
I looove Summoning Salt! So easy to fall asleep to his videos too, I love snuggling on the couch and dozing off to a good Summoning Salt video 😄
Post automatically merged:

No. I don’t feel like you get your money’s worth rushing through games like that. I like to enjoy it and take my time. I don’t understand why there’s any rush to reach certain milestones or to beat the game. As for watching them, I don’t do that either.
That’s a fair point!

I occasionally check out Awesome Games Done Quick, Summer Games Done Quick, Frame Fatales and Frost Fatales, though rather than watch everything, I usually just tune in for the specific runs that interest me.

Watching speedruns are very satisfying to look at, seeing how they use a glitch to get themselves further in the game without penalizing the story is always amazing.

I myself have also been doing certain speedruns I know I'm good at, one example is based on this thread.

I don't mind speed runs, I just wish some people took their time to enjoy the game first then to immediately attempt to speed run. I feel like there's no joy when first playing in this way. Enjoy it first, get to know the game, then speed run it.

Yes I love watching speedruns live or videos after I do a slow casual playthrough. After completing Ultra Sun I found a speedrunner and got hooked. Finding cheese methods and different ways to play helped when I played thru the game for the 3rd and 4th time. I don't speedrun but it helped save time.

Yes I love watching speedruns live or videos after I do a slow casual playthrough. After completing Ultra Sun I found a speedrunner and got hooked. Finding cheese methods and different ways to play helped when I played thru the game for the 3rd and 4th time. I don't speedrun but it helped save time.
I've done this too! I don't speedrun any games, but I will use some tricks I see in speedruns to help with gameplay, haha.

Also - Mario 62 120 star is blowing up right now. They're down to 1:36:48. People are getting world record after world record - it's exciting right now!

I hate speedrunning! I feel like it ruins the experience of the game as the devs intended for it to be played.

I love watching them! I haven't watched Super Mario 64 in a while, but Siglemic was one of my favorite SM64 runners. I always had that stream on when it was live, and loved watching live races between runners.

I'll check out GDQ occasionally if there are any games I'm interested in watching. Beyond SM64, I'll sometimes idly watch speedruns of Banjo Kazooie, Majora's Mask/Ocarina of Time, and Paper Mario.

I like them! I wanna know how a Sonic Adventure DX run would go for Amy's story specifically, as it's the shortest one and the one that I could see myself running.

Sometimes I watch them. Not very often though because watching other people play games isn't entertaining enough to me. There has to be something really interesting happening along with the gameplay. Such as speedrunning a very broken game, for example...

Speed-running is interesting but I could never do one myself! I like to watch others speed-run or see the techniques that make speed-running possible. I am just in awe at how these people can discover ways to break the game to beat it as fast as possible.

Back