Should I buy the Sims 3 or wait for the Sims 4?

As someone who owns ALL sims 3 ep's, I would say wait for sims 4.
Which might be a little contradictory? Sims 3 is awesome, and I love it, but it'll be easier to gradually build your addiction, then be bombarded with all the EP's at once. It's really awesome to be excited about a new EP coming out, with sims 3, that excitement isn't really there :3

The Sims 2 > The Sims 3
Get TS2 for free with that link. Try it out. That should determine whether you want TS4 or not.
Don't get it on release. It may suck and you will be stuck in the live chat or whatever since EA/Origin sucks.

I'm currently downloading sims 2, thinking that will keep me occupied for a while I won't buy sims 4 until later after hearing about how it is in game (create a sim looks amazing from the demo that was released, however, whether I buy the game will depend on gameplay more than CAS)

Sims 3 was wonderful, in my opinion.
Sims 2 was wonderful as well.
They both have their differences, same with Sims 1.
Each series has their own strengths and weaknesses.
While I like some aspects of Sims 2, I feel like I'd play Sims 3 more. I really liked the way Story Progression was done in Sims 3 and it made me happier and it made things easier for me. I mean, I could have big families and not worry about houses getting full. It's great.

Sims 4, however, is a game I do not recommend. They already stated they were trying to make it online, like sim city, and that's why many things are NOT in the Sims 4 that was in previous games. There are too many changes, it feels like they took several steps back. I despise it.

Sims 4, however, is a game I do not recommend. They already stated they were trying to make it online, like sim city, and that's why many things are NOT in the Sims 4 that was in previous games. There are too many changes, it feels like they took several steps back. I despise it.

That's an old rumor and they've confirmed it will be a single player offline game.
But I don't recommend Sims 4 either.

That's an old rumor and they've confirmed it will be a single player offline game.
But I don't recommend Sims 4 either.

Yes I know it was confirmed to be single player. I've read articles where they said that they changed their minds and started to convert the game into single player...without trying to put back in the things they had to remove.
I just don't understand their thought process.

Yes I know it was confirmed to be single player. I've read articles where they said that they changed their minds and started to convert the game into single player...without trying to put back in the things they had to remove.
I just don't understand their thought process.

You think they actually have a thought process? Nah.. I doubt it.

If you've got Windows and the room, go for the free Sims 2 collection as everybody as already said. But I use a Mac so I'm basically crying right now. I downloaded it and it works, I just can't play it. I hope my sister's laptop is a Windows laptop. :(

Sims 4 is not going to be worth it, believe me. I've checked out articles and stuff, and so many things that made the Sims 3 awesome are gone. Don't buy it, get the Sims 2 or 3 or both. They are both much better.

You can pretty much download everything for Sims 3 for free. Don't buy Sims 4. It will be terrible.

You can't download The Sims 3 for free without running into problems like your sims stopping at doors, choppy movement, crashes, bugs, all of that crud you get from torrenting ("this is what I didn't pay for"). Trust me, I downloaded about half of my Sims 3 game through torrenting and it's AWFUL compared to buying it. It's so buggy and glitchy and choppy and awful. It's better to be honest and BUY instead of TORRENT (plus you have a higher chance of getting a virus or getting arrested for downloading stuff illegally).
"It will be terrible" nobody's going to believe you unless you're a developer because in Sims 4 I see I can just ...I don't know.
-Pick up a whole room and MOVE IT to the other side of the house WITHOUT rebuilding it!
-Customize sims with NO SLIDERS I can just grab a butt and make it big or small.
-No longer see "pudding face"! Better faces! I liked Sims 2 faces and Sims 4 looks SO good!

Wait for The Sims 4 or get Sims 3, but obtain it legally.

Last edited:
You can't download The Sims 3 for free without running into problems like your sims stopping at doors, choppy movement, crashes, bugs, all of that crud you get from torrenting ("this is what I didn't pay for"). Trust me, I downloaded about half of my Sims 3 game through torrenting and it's AWFUL compared to buying it. It's so buggy and glitchy and choppy and awful. It's better to be honest and BUY instead of TORRENT (plus you have a higher chance of getting a virus or getting arrested for downloading stuff illegally).
"It will be terrible" nobody's going to believe you unless you're a developer because in Sims 4 I see I can just ...I don't know.
-Pick up a whole room and MOVE IT to the other side of the house WITHOUT rebuilding it!
-Customize sims with NO SLIDERS I can just grab a butt and make it big or small.
-No longer see "pudding face"! Better faces! I liked Sims 2 faces and Sims 4 looks SO good!

Wait for The Sims 4 or get Sims 3, but obtain it legally.

Haha I have played a torrented Sims 3 in the past, had less problems with it than the legal game I currently own (I have a lot of expansions which could be part of the problem?).

Lots of confirmed information about the Sims 4 has given people a negative opinion. I'm liking the graphics, the moods, easy building and the removal of sliders, but I'm disappointed by a lack of pools, toddlers, customization (which I think was removed, understandably so, because certain clothes give certain moods or...something? I don't remember, don't quote me on that; regardless customization is still kind of a hard loss for me), some other things, blah blah. Basically a seed of doubt has been planted in my mind and I've found myself less and less optimistic about the game. (There's also likely going to be months of waiting between over-priced expansions that will give us stuff we should have in the base games by now. That's just based on EA's past performance.) I don't blame people for assuming it will be terrible.

I'm still hopeful, though, maybe it'll be worth it. If we all cross our fingers and believe hard enough, then maybe, just maybe...

Create A Style (CASt) was removed. It is the color wheel and design picker in TS3.
It sucked. It lagged so badly and it SUCKED. So I don't care that it's gone! I'm happy it's gone.
You still have customization options, like instead of the black sweater, you can get red, blue, white.. So that's fine!

Y'know?

Right now, TS4's CAS demo runs great, but what's going to happen when new expansions are introduced that bring more content into the game? :/

The reason people really liked CAS in Sims 3 was that we could change the color of a shirt and items relatively easily and had so many patterns to use. We weren't confined to 3 color styles like in Sims 2. We could make our character wear all green, not green+pink on their shirt or green+grey on their shoes. Taking that away just feels like we're being cheated from a feature that was in a previous game.

If you get the Sims 3 it'll be a lot cheaper than getting the sims 4 and all of the expansion packs.

I wouldn't recommend getting the sims 3 stuff packs because they don't really add anything to the game and just slow it down, I ended up removing all of my stuff packs.

I personally own sims 3, and I like the realistic appeal to it. It might lack some things sims 4 has, but from what I've heard sims 4 took out alot of good things. Also you can get sims 3 free if you're patient to learn to download and extract torrents (or buy it if you're against it). I know there's tons of customizable skins and content online for sims 3, but with sims 4 cartoon-y look I'm not sure how the game mechanics differ and what the downloadable content will be like o: I was kind of upset the demo was exclusive to only certain members of origin. I heard they took out the use in cars, pools, ghosts, toddlers, and a ton of other things :c but I can't judge since I haven't owned sims 4. I wish I could try the demo first but their lame-o company exclusive-fied it. One less buyer for them. It's a tough decision though ^^ Anything new will be appealing.

I personally own sims 3, and I like the realistic appeal to it. It might lack some things sims 4 has, but from what I've heard sims 4 took out alot of good things. Also you can get sims 3 free if you're patient to learn to download and extract torrents (or buy it if you're against it). I know there's tons of customizable skins and content online for sims 3, but with sims 4 cartoon-y look I'm not sure how the game mechanics differ and what the downloadable content will be like o: I was kind of upset the demo was exclusive to only certain members of origin. I heard they took out the use in cars, pools, ghosts, toddlers, and a ton of other things :c but I can't judge since I haven't owned sims 4. I wish I could try the demo first but their lame-o company exclusive-fied it. One less buyer for them. It's a tough decision though ^^ Anything new will be appealing.

*Games4theworld* does the sims 3 virus free and offers major support with it if you want to go down that path with it, I bought the game but my friend used that to torrent a back up of her game.

I was also very annoyed with EA for the exclusive access demo, especially because I have bought so many of their games but I am still going to get the sims 4 aha, I wish I could say I'm not because their company is as you put it lame-o, but I'm a big sims fan.

They have taken a lot out of the sims 4 but the game mechanics do look really similar to the sims 3 asides from building and CAS, However there is already custom content made and being made for the sims 4 so I am sure you'll be able to get tonnes for it when the game is out. I would maybe consider waiting until the sims 4 is out and watching some gameplay videos of it on youtube before deciding which to get, As then you'll be able to see from a less biased source(EAs gameplay videos)what the gameplay is actually like:)

i'd definitely say get sims 3, sims 4 looks good but they've moved a lot of stuff to expansion packs and personally i don't want to waste my money on buying a toddlers expansion pack

I'd just wait for Sims 4. I loved the Sims 2, but when I played Sims 3 the controls were all different so I played it like twice and never played it again.

Back