sex ed

It's definitely necessary, but in my school it just wasn't done very well. We literally had an extremely short lesson about it once in primary school and that was that. To the teachers credit she was very comfortable and not embarrassed in the least. But I don't think any of us really understood any more than what we did previous to that lesson ;). I remember my high school teacher going over it once I'm a citizenshiplesson. All awkward and embarrassed. So obviously that made us uncomfortable to see him squirming around. Never learnt much about it from that lesson either ;) things have come on a long way since then and the lessons we give at our school now are much more child led rather than the teacher talking over them.

We did have sex ed in primary school and secondary school, although in hindsight it was not very good. It wasn't very clear at all. We had a lesson on periods in year 5 for just girls, and it was just them talking about what happens and why it happens, how to put on a sanitary towel, and that's it. There was no discussion of tampons, no discussion on how it makes you feel and the effects of it, just very ambiguous and unclear. It's treated as such a taboo subject (I mean the fact that boys weren't even allowed in the room should make that clear). Everyone should learn about it, it's a natural part of our human biology and if we want to understand one another better then we ought to educate others on it. :\ Sex ed was actually very bad, we just watched some scientific video talking about what happens but there was always very little mention on birth control and it seemed to be like scare-mongering more than anything. Like it was supposed to make us afraid of it and to try and stop people from doing it because of teenage pregnancies and such. Which is a problem but had they have just taught us properly about it in the first place then maybe such things wouldn't happen (ie: birth control etc).

Personally, I feel like sex-ed should go as follows:
-Explain how relationships work.
-Explain how sex works in a relationship.
-Show kids the dangers of having unsafe sex.
-Teach kids how to have safe sex.

Whether or not a kid should or shouldn't have sex is up to their family background or, ultimately, the kid themselves.

The only issue here is that, what if a kid gets pregnant or gets an STI? We get into ethics here that is rarely discussed because people don't like talking about sex, but it's important to learn about. If a kid is taught safe sex and doesn't practice it, whose fault is it? It can be a huge burden for the family of the kid and the kid themselves.

I mean it's OK. Everyone already knew all the stuff they taught us though :/

Yeah I mean I guess we don't have the same problems with overly amount of too early pregnancies unless it's kept in the dark but yeah tbh I wish they would have taught us more. Also annoying that they p much though like back then that lgbtq+++ was not a thing to talk about like.. bruh yes. It should be included in the education tbh in the subjects it can cover.

Sex ed at my school was pretty bad. All we really learned about were parts of the genitals and STDs. I honestly think biology class does a better job of teaching sexual reproduction than sex ed does.

We did get it in school, but Google was my best friend (':

- - - Post Merge - - -

Though that being said our sex Ed was great, I just happened to be in a great school.

I had basically none, bar like a day that the health teachers in like 8th grade played sex jeopardy with us for health class,,,,,,

Pfft, I don't think there even was a sex ed class when I was in high school. I never saw it on registration forms nor did anyone talk about it. Then again, they cut a lot of extracurricular classes that were very beneficial. I remember in my 9th grade science class they pulled two classes aside & had a sex ed lecture for only 40 minutes & that was it. They did not cover LGBT+ sex health at all.

Last edited:
sex ed was the worst part of both 7th and 9th grade xD

in 5th grade the teachers explained vaguely what private parts were and about periods and stuff, but i don't remember a lot of it

7th grade was awful. my health teacher was about 80 years old and it was so terribly awkward. it was that year that i was forced to watch "the miracle of life" for the first time and i remember every grueling detail ;-;

9th grade health went plenty more in-depth than previous classes in previous years had.. my teacher brought in a condom and a wooden ... well, you know ...
she brought in different kinds of birth control to show us what they looked like and how they worked.
we talked about stds, pregnancy, the phases of development in a pregnancy, the biology behind it, etc etc. overall it wasn't actually terrible.

lgbt integration of sex ed is severely lacking, especially in the public school systems. i don't think that anything in that nature was even brought up in any of my health classes.

but in all honestly i learned more form the internet than i ever did in any of these classes xD

We also had Sex Ed in fifth grade and I don't remember much except for them giving the girls pads at the end and one girl in my class threw up because she was so overwhelmed and couldn't believe what they told us?? Lmao

In 5th grade we learned about "body parts". I remember being really intrigued lolol. we learned about sex education in my health class in 7th & 8th grade briefly and in 9th grade we had to watch a bunch of videos. that was the extent of our sex education and I think it could have been much better. everyone giggled the whole time and didn't take it seriously because the health teacher was super awkward explaining everything to us

Last edited:
I live in the bible belt, so our sex ed was abstinence only and that's about it. I had to find a reputable forum to ask a lot of my sex and puberty questions because my parents didn't want to talk about it either. :C It definitely needs to be improved!

i dont even remember sex ed because none of it applied to me at the time so only the anatomy of the human body stuck with me but thats cuz im obsessed with science lol
obviously i know everything but i didnt remember it from learning it from sex ed but rather just the internet and ppl talking

I knew that sex Ed was coming when I was in fifth grade. All of the immature fifth grade boys in my class were laughing about it. I thought that they were stupid. (They kind of were)

I don't live in the US and we had sex ed three times each for a year long.
The first time was when we were like 9. We got little booklets about all of our body but it was more about taking care of your body and cleaning everything properly. The booklet also explained genitals for little kids, just so we knew what there was. And they explained how baby are made and how people die of old age. It was a rough year for me, not a fan of death.
The second time was when we were like 13 and this time it was about safe sex and how to use a condom properly. It was all about how your body reacts, what your body is and stuff like periods and pregnancy. Like genitals were briefly explained for our basic understanding. But it was more about healthy relationships since literally nobody was having sex yet. During that year we learned about how babies are made in a biological way inside female bodies, you know like literally how that happens.
The third time was when we were like 16, that's when people started having actual physical relationships too. We learned about genitals in great detail and very dry (very boring too). We also learned about other protection like pills, spirals and other things I blocked out personally. We were teached all common STDs as well. At this point it was just a textbook biology class about the human body. Informing, but very rushed because we only got like four units to talk about it before we went back to genes and ****.

That's at least how I remember it. I might have mixed up some things for the second and third year, it's been a while.
The first time was interesting, the second time was cringe (you know the thing teens do 24/7) and the third time was when we were actually interested again and tried to learn. It should have been more indepth when it actually mattered, they didn't give us a lot of units to actually learn about the most important thing.
But in comparision to what people think of american sex ed (may it be true or not), we were never told that sex is evil or that we'll die of STDs when we touch each other or whatever.

then, in 6th grade (12 yrs old) we had the How Are Babies Made talk thing. I mean, everyone already knew, but we worked with it in biology and had to learn the names of a lot of different parts of the genitalia. on one lesson we had a substitute teacher, and she thought it was a Great Idea to talk about "HBT", as she wrote.
then she proceeded to say that being gay is when u like boys n u are a boy, being bi is liking both genders, and being trans is when u want 2 b The Other gender.
and then !!! she let people talk about how much they hated lgbt+ people, and how they would beat the **** out of people of the same gender if they flirted with them, and how they thought lgbt+ people were sick. ha ha . that was a rly crappy experience bbecause not only was it super uncomfortable as a lgbt+ person , it was also filled w misinformation n i dont rly think it's cool to let students say homophobic and transphobic **** in class but Yeah.
holy **** where do u live Alabama?

I went to Catholic School for most of middle school and didn't have sex ed so I basically just learned from the internet, but in tenth grade they went into details about safe sex and STIs and whatever it was boring

Back