• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Saddest TV show episodes

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Body
Angel - Five By Five
Charmed - Hell Hath No Fury
WandaVision - Previously On
Downton Abbey - Episode Five (season three)

I'm sure there are more, but those episodes always stick out to me first when I think of sad TV episodes.

Last edited:
I'm not putting this in a spoiler because the backstory behind Steven Burns' leaving of Blues Clues is pretty well-documented...

The season 4 episode of Blues Clues when Steve announced that he was leaving for college, and his younger brother Joe would watch Blue and the house in his place. Watching this episode for the first time MADE MY 2-YEAR OLD SELF CRY.

When I got older, I found out that there were a lot of myths and theories as to why Steve actually left the show. Some of the most ridiculous myths I read included:
  • He was recently diagnosed with cancer, and died a year later (he's still alive and well as of this post).
  • He got charged with a DUI, and didn't want to tarnish his reputation as a children's actor because of it.
  • He no longer wanted to be a children's actor.
Not only are all of these statements false, but Burns himself debunked the "dead" myth in a 2006 interview celebrating 10 years of Blues Clues, and to this day still gets amused by how people still believe he's dead, even after guest starring multiple times in the Blues Clues & You! continuation show and Paramount+ movie as Steve from the original show, who graduated college and is now a detective. The real reason why he left was because he was going bald, and felt very uncomfortable at the time having kids see it gradually happen episode-by-episode. As he is now visibly older in the reboot, he doesn't mind showing off his lack of hair these days to kids.

While it is true that he took a long break from being a children's actor and went into the music business, he never hated the job he became known for.

For me it's a two part, of *Your Getting Old and ***burgers* Southpark

It tackles depression, when one of the boys, Stan, starts to question his interests, and starts to cut himself off from the world. Resulting in him not enjoying half the stuff he used too, and annoying his friends. So he starts to isolate himself, and hard to be around. Other things aren't going well either

By the end of it he starts to accept change, but then things go back to how they were, and he's not exactly implied to be happy about it.
--
Alot of experts have said its the best TV episode regarding depression. As I delt with depression for a while it hit hard, and I was so sad watching it. It hit me so hard.
----

For me, the one that sticks out in my mind is from series 4 of 'Only Fools and Horses', 'Strained Relations'. Lennard Pearce who played Grandad had recently passed and John Sullivan wrote his death into the series. The scene in particular is when Del opens up to Rodney about not knowing how to grieve as he's always had to play the tough guy.

• Futurama - Jurassic Bark. I know, basic pick, but I can't really not put it. The entire thing is depressing.
I figured I would see this one in here. Another episode from Futurama called Game of Tones is kind of sad in an endearing way.

To this day the only tv show Episodes that have managed to make me cry are from the Pokémon sun and moon anime.

memories in the mist and one journey ends another begins

NEITHER OF THOSE EPISODES HAD ANY BUSINESS BEING THAT SAD

The Hey Arnold! Christmas special, where Arnold tries to find Mr. Hyunh's daughter, who was separated from him in the Vietnam War.

1702303916172.png

the end of your lie in april and the episode in violet evergarden where she finds the injured soldier. good grief

Back