• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Remake of Animal crossing GC

tbh the original Animal Crossing's in a weird place.

The original Japanese N64 version's missing a load of stuff (cedar trees, the second floor and basement house upgrades, the museum, Tortimer and all, both the Able Sisters and the island as there's no GBA support, Wisp, Gulliver's unique furniture, journals, golden tools, the handheld items you buy at the fireworks festival) that means it's probably not going to come out on the Japanese N64 NSO app. The original Japanese Pokémon Stadium didn't, and that's a similar story (it's only got 40 Pokémon in it)

But it's too visually an N64 game and there's too many Japanese versions of it to do a Hagi port of it like Super Mario Sunshine or the first two Pikmin games, unless they end up bundling Doubutsu no Mori+, the US and EU versions together (and even then it involves creating new localisations for Korea and the other languages NH got released in)

So honestly, I think if we see it again on modern Nintendo platforms, we're going to get it as a remake. But I'm not holding my breath for it to come out. One of its directors is now a general producer at Nintendo (overseeing a lot of things, including AC), the other's the current series producer of Animal Crossing. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it (it'd mean we've got both a modern customisation-focussed AC and a classic, pre-NL "you move to a town" AC on the same system) but I think that right now specifically is a weird time to release anything AC, considering we're in all likelihood only a year or so away from the next game in the series coming out.

Long answer short: No. Short answer long: Nnnnnooooo. 😬 They'd somehow ruin it anyway. All these remakes ever do is make the game easier, friendlier and baby-er. 😠 How about a de-make? Give us an overhead, 16-bit Animal Crossing spin off, like the Island minigame you can play when you connect your GBA to the Island Kapp'n takes you to. Just don't touch the Game Cube Animal Crossing. I like the bratty villagers and clunky UI and graphics, thank you very much. 😁

It’s not just the visuals. The gameplay in Animal Crossing have evolved so much that the original version would be hard to play in today’s age, no matter how good it looks. So I don’t think they’ll ever do a remake of the original game.

But what would I like? A new Animal Crossing game featuring older music.

I think the first entry is one game Nintendo will never remake given the following games perfected and added onto the the formula that the GC game had started. There’s no real need to go back to the original game. WW was essentially a portable version of the first game with touch screen features added, CF is basically AC set in a big city which was expanded in a way with NL. And NH is basically NL except on an Island where you can create stuff using materials readily available on your Island.

Long answer short: No. Short answer long: Nnnnnooooo. 😬 They'd somehow ruin it anyway. All these remakes ever do is make the game easier, friendlier and baby-er. 😠 (....) I like the bratty villagers and clunky UI and graphics, thank you very much. 😁

I dunno, I feel like already having a nice friendly customization-focused AC game on the switch might give them more reason to stay faithful to the really different feel of the first game!

Then again, they could just give people more of "what sells" but without overhauling the original game to add total customization it would kinda just have none of what any fan of AC wants (neither customization nor life-sim stuff)

idk it could go either way! I am trying to remain optimistic because a faithful modern remake of the original AC would go SO hard, especially if they conglomerate most/all of the features/villagers that were only in one or two of the game's versions

I really disagree with the opinions that the new games have made previous entries obsolete. Each entry has its own distinctive feature, though maybe the first games plus CF and WW were building on each other. The gameplay in NH is so different from the GC game. If they want to take the series in the direction NH went, it would be nice if they at least made some remakes based on older versions. Some other series have done that, like Pokémon getting remakes and ORAS even changing the graphics style from the games it was based on.

Back