• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Rating the changes: Pokémon Sun and Moon vs Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

Alolan_Apples

“Assorted” Collector
Bells
Switch
1624-3778-0694
Green Balloon
Ghostly Kitty Plush
Hot Cocoa
Snowflake Glow Wand
Yellow Tulip
Disco Ball Easter Egg
Orange Candy
Chocolate Cake
Pumpkin Cupcake
Apple (Fruit)
Since Pokémon Sword and Shield’s release is around the corner, I would like to rate the changes between the last generation’s games and their sequels. While the changes between Sun and Moon and Sword and Shield are based on the game’s mechanics and features, the changes between Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon is more about the story and the region.

Stuff that changed:

Despite being the same game, Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon was an improvement to Sun/Moon as it has more features and more Pokémon available. Here are the 16 changes to evaluate:

• Plot: In the 2016 version, it was solely based on Lillie trying to protect Cosmog as her deranged mother wanted to bring the Ultra Beasts to the Alola region. You have to protect her while fighting against Team Skull. In the 2017 version, the game was more about Necrozma (which was only a mystery in 2016) and the Ultra Recon Squad. The changes to the plot I did like: You chose your starter Pokémon before meeting Lillie, the trials were fixed, Lusamine was toned down and more sympathetic (yet selfish), Team Skull learns their lesson and becomes your ally (in the postgame), the Ultra Necrozma battle instead of battling Lusamine a second time, and that Gladion leaves instead of Lillie and Lusamine. The changes to the plot I didn’t like: the whole Ultra Recon Squad thing and how it added more unskippable cutscenes, the Exeggutor Island segment wasn’t as romantic, and Hau was the final boss instead of Kukui. Although there were more good changes than bad changes, the bads outweighed the goods, and it was enough to make it a negative change. Although it is not a reason to skip Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, it really disappointed me.
    • Score: -2
    • Significance: 3
  • Changes to the Alola Region: Despite most of being the same, there are a few changes to the region (such as the south Poni Coast being a wild Pokémon area, the addition to Pikachu Land, and more footage of the tunnel between Route 7 and Route 8). It did make it better, but not by much.
    • Score: +1
    • Significance: 1
  • Z-Crystals: Last game, we are given the introduction to Z-Crystals, which boosts the power of one Pokémon move. Not only we had them for all 18 types, but we also had some exclusive ones for some Pokémon (such as Mew, Pikachu, Eevee, Snorlax, and Alolan Raichu). In Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, more Pokémon species had their own Z-Crystal, including Mimikyu, Kommo-o, and Lycanroc. This was a great step forward with more Pokèmon with Z-Crystals.
    • Score: +2
    • Significance: 2
  • Tide Song Hotel: Despite being a minor change, it has a major impact on my opinion. Not only I like more exploring, but since I like hotels and that we got to see more, this is a really positive change for me.
    • Score: +3
  • Mantine Surfing: Easily one of the best Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon exclusive features. It was an added mini-game where you can rack up points to earn more Battle Points. In Sun and Moon, the only way you can earn them is from the Battle Tree and the Battle Royale, which were very difficult. But in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, you had an easier way to earn BP.
  • Move Tutors: In addition to the introduction to Mantine Surfing, there were also more spending opportunities with Battle Points, which makes them more valuable. You had more moves available from move tutors, which gives you more ways to customize your Pokémon.
  • Beach Items: Yet another spending opportunity with Battle Points. Not only you can buy items you can’t get from a Pokémon Center, but you can get unlimited Rare Candies and PP Ups (which I do value).
  • Battle Tree: Speaking of Battle Points, I would also like to discuss the Battle Tree. They made the Casual Mode a lot easier. You can bring in Level 100 Pokémon, and the AI is not as smart as they were in the last one.
  • Changes to Trials: In Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon, the trials were better. The second one began earlier, the fourth one allowed you to take the ingredients without fighting then made you fight them while cooking, the fifth one had a game instead of a quiz, and there was an 8th one. Also, the Grand Trial on Poni didn’t take place before the 7th Trial. It took place after the 8th Trial and immediately before the Pokémon League.
  • Ultra Beast Segment: Although the postgame was better in the 2017 version than the 2016 version, I liked the Ultra Beast segment in the first one. The one in the second one was shorter as you only caught one Ultra Beast in Alola. The others require going to the Ultra Space Wilds.
  • Rainbow Rocket: But look on the bright side. The Rainbow Rocket plot was much better than the Ultra Beast plot, as they took over both Festival Plaza and Aether Paradise. It had more plot.
  • Catching Legendary Pokémon: Another postgame bonus in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon was that you can explore the Ultra Space Wilds and catch all legendary Pokémon from the past (except for event ones like Mew and Celebi).
  • More Pokémon: Although I’m not much of a fan of all the species, one thing they did right was that they added more species to the Alola Dex (especially Dewgong). That did make Pokédex completion more tedious, but it was a positive change.
    • Score: +1
  • Island Scan: Although the Johto starters was the third best lineup of starters in my opinion, the fact that they were replaced with Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle only made it better for me. The Johto starters are more classic, but not as classic as the Kanto starters.
  • Catching Zygarde: As they added more features, one fun feature they took out was the collection of Zygarde cells and Zygarde cores. I like collecting bonuses too.
    • Score: -3
  • Totem Stickers: But they did replace Zygarde cells with Totem Stickers. I’m not a fan of owning Totem Pokémon, and this is not as fun as the Zygarde cell one.
  • Final Score: +1.250
Stuff that stayed the same:

Of course, since Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon are essentially the same game as Sun and Moon, you wouldn’t be surprised to see how similar it is. Although there are many things that stayed the same, I’m only going to choose 8 nitpicks because I evaluated 16 changes. A rule for me is that I must only evaluate half the similarities as differences.

• Trial Format: While the trials have been fixed a little, they stuck to the trial system rather than go back to gyms. To be honest, gyms are old, overdone, and not as interesting. They were good for the first two generations, but not this generation. Score: +2
  • National Dex: Although I wouldn’t care too much about completing the National Dex, it is disappointing that I don’t get to see entries about Pokémon not in the Alola region. They would’ve added it back, but they didn’t. Score: -1
  • Regional Variants: What Game Freak did right was that they had the same 18 regional variants from Sun and Moon (which were also available in Pokémon Let’s Go a year later). What they did wrong was that they didn’t introduce any more. Score: -2
  • SOS Chaining: Although it’s good for getting hidden abilities and better IVs, it gets annoying when you’re trying to complete your Pokédex. I wouldn’t care if they got rid of it. Score: 0
  • Ride Pokémon: HMs are old news. They have served their part of the play. Not only that, but it uses up party space. I like how we can keep our ride Pokémon instead. Score: +2
  • Objective Markers: Although older fans are not too happy about this, we now live in a time where we need to know what to do and where to go. Without them, we wouldn’t know how to play the game or where to go next. Score: +1
  • Type Effectiveness in Move Information: Now this is a problem that stayed in Sun and Moon. I’m okay with it steering clear of tradition like having no gyms or HMs, but if it even means telling you if a move is super effective or not, then it’s technically telling you how to play or playing itself. Imagine if Navi was like that all the time. Score: -2
  • Poké Finder: Although I wanted to see a return of Pokémon Snap, the Poké Finder feature isn’t as interesting. For that reason, I wouldn’t care if they kept it or did away with it (or even improve it). Score: 0
  • Final Score: 0
That’s all for Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. It was a nice time visiting Alola. Now it’s time to move on.

Back