• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pros and cons?

Fallen-Reaper-Scythe

Bells
Island
Spirit Bay
Hi, I'm an animal crossing player among other games. My switch lite has been giving "controllers are disconnected" type error but the thing is, as mentioned, it's a SWITCH LITE. Not a regular or oled one. I don't have any other controllers for it.

It has also been drifting on the left Joy con for a while now. I doubt Nintendo would fix it, or break it more since it's not covered by a warranty anymore. I've had it since 2021 give or take.

So back to the topic, what are the pros and cons of the regular switch and oled besides being able to be played on the TV unlike the lite? Would I need to get another switch in general? Do I need wifi to hook it back to my account, or the TV itself, do I need a new account?

Thank you for taking the time to read and answer any questions.

On the subject of drifting joy cons - I'm pretty sure Nintendo will offer to fix those, even if it's out of warranty. But I'm also in the UK, so it might be different in the US. It's worth reaching out to them about it.

It seems like the Lite has the same problems as my regular Switch (controllers are disconnected every now and then; it fixes itself after a few seconds, but sometimes disconnects around 3-4 times on boot until it settles, and drifting is a problem even with some of the pro controllers). The battery life may be shorter on portable, but I will also mention that my console is an older edition, so it's possible they may have fixed that since (maybe someone else here can weigh in on that). I can't answer for the oled version or the wifi question since I haven't yet swapped my data over, so hopefully someone else here can answer those ones.

The benefits of the Switch over the Switch Lite are primarily playing on TV, but I think another big advantage--and the main reason I'm hesitant to recommend a Switch Lite given the current issues with the Switch--is because if the Joycons drift or break, you can just buy a new set, which while not by any means cheap is still less expensive than purchasing a whole new console. The downside is mainly just that the OG Switch and especially the OLED Switch are considerably more expensive. Otherwise the actual experience of playing on it is largely the same.

Would I need to get another switch in general?
Unless Nintendo can fix the problems you've mentioned, or you can find a fix online at your own risk, then more than likely, yes.

Do I need wifi to hook it back to my account
Yes, but you wouldn't need to keep it perpetually online like some systems unless you have an NSO account that takes advantage of cloud storage.

or the TV itself
TV is completely optional.

do I need a new account?
No, and I don't recommend creating a new one, unless you want to spend unnecessary money re-purchasing old games.

Carrying over save data from another Switch might prove to be a hassle no matter what you do. From what I know, it's not as simple as just swiping SD cards. Unless you have an NSO account that takes advantage of cloud storage and your games support it, then you might end up losing some files.

Back