• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

pond locations

snowflake1

Bells
Hot Cocoa
Hi everyone I hope you are all having a good weekend,

I made a silly decision today to remake my 1st island over and am really struggling to decide what i can do as while I assume all maps are the same size my 1st island feels a lot more restrictive and smaller than my second island I took a lot more care about choosing at the beginning and just spent weeks redoing. I have read a little info about cliff top pond/river fish spawning so will not be changing those as I don't feel clever enough to do that right now but I am wondering if I need a ground level pond for all fish to spawn in the game as I have a large ground floor pond area and I am wondering if I could get rid of that and use that ground but I don't want to get rid of it if I need it for some unique fish to spawn as I have not quite finished my museum off just yet. So my long ramble (apologies-) is basically to ask if I keep MY 2 3 tier cliff pond areas with the pools below on the 2nd cliff down is that enough for all fish to spawn I need in the game or do I have to keep a ground level pond as well for something I need to spawn/catch?

I don't believe it matters where you have a pond at as long as you have one you should be able to get all pond fish there.

You do need to have a river on 2nd or 3rd level of a cliff in order to catch 4 fish. The golden trout, char, stringfish, and cherry salmon.

Other than that as long as you have a river and pond somewhere on your island you should be able to catch any other fish you may want in the game.

Hi Thanks Fisher, so are you saying that I don,t need a pond on the ground level when I already have a pond on the second floor cliff level and 3rd level cliff to be able to fish the rarer species I might need? Just seeking clarification-)

Yeah, as long you have a pond it doesn't matter what level of cliff it is on. All pond fish that are in the game should be able to spawn there as long as it is big enough. (Doesn't have to be that big, just a normal size pond is fine).

Obviously having more ponds though means more fish, but yeah you really only have to have one though to be able to catch them all and doesn't matter what level cliff it is on.

You can also fish in the ponds and rivers of the Nook mystery islands. It might take a few visits to get a good island, but definitely doable and that way you don't have to worry much about your island layout. Some people prefer to catch all fish on their own island, but I find the smaller map of the islands help to respawn faster.

Thanks cocoacat,

I often visit mystery islands for resources and to fish but for some reason completely forgot about that when i asked my initial question lol However it's still good to know the game does not require a pond at ground level which gives me more scope when trying to plan.

I am pretty sure all Cliff Fish spawn in Cliff Rivers. You could make a temp river on a Cliff, and after you catch the Cliff Fish for your Museum you can fill it back in. You can also fish on Nook Islands. So you don't have to have a pond on your map at all if you don't want. But if you decide to have a pond on your map, it doesn't really matter where you put it. Pond fish are just pond fish, no pond cliff fish.

Hi MiniPocketWorld,

Thanks for that further info. I love the clifftop rivers/pools and generally love water around my island but this first island of mine when i knew nothing much about the game just got everything plonked down without much thought so the island needs a redesign but it seems so much smaller than my second island and i am hesitating to begin-)

Back