• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Pokemon Super Bowl Ad

I think the commercial is stupid because like why spend all that money on a super bowl ad just to remind people its pokemons 20th anniversary?
To get them to spend money on all the 20th Anniversary stuff coming out? I mean if the video I saw was the exact ad shown in the Super Bowl, it had Pokemon20.com there to get people to hopefully check it out. Before people have pointed out that outside of Lucario, the ad relied heavily on Generation 1 Pokemon probably in attempt to appeal to those who fell off the Pokemon wagon shortly after Red/Blue/Yellow.

My thoughts exactly, the super bowl commercials are known for being suspenseful and jaw dropping too... So I would expect something along those lines, also it's really hard to get people who have been absent from the series to get back in.... I wouldn't buy a 3ds just because of a super bowl commercial

Although it sounds so nintendo to try to inspire that feeling you had from your youth in a commercial... But with how poor their sales and stuff with wii u, I don't think from a business standpoint they would blow that much money if they didn't think it was going to be generated back to them
I thought it was pretty jaw dropping, they purposely tried to make an ad to appeal to the masses and encourage all trainers out there by saying "Hey world! You wanna be the best Pokemon battler? You can do that." Secondly Nintendo's grubby fingers probably weren't terribly involved in this, I suspect it was mostly a Game Freak/TPCi thing. They expect money blown on the ad to come back in sales made by 20th Anniversary purchases and Pokemon literally being a money printer.

To get them to spend money on all the 20th Anniversary stuff coming out? I mean if the video I saw was the exact ad shown in the Super Bowl, it had Pokemon20.com there to get people to hopefully check it out. Before people have pointed out that outside of Lucario, the ad relied heavily on Generation 1 Pokemon probably in attempt to appeal to those who fell off the Pokemon wagon shortly after Red/Blue/Yellow.

I thought it was pretty jaw dropping, they purposely tried to make an ad to appeal to the masses and encourage all trainers out there by saying "Hey world! You wanna be the best Pokemon battler? You can do that." Secondly Nintendo's grubby fingers probably weren't terribly involved in this, I suspect it was mostly a Game Freak/TPCi thing. They expect money blown on the ad to come back in sales made by 20th Anniversary purchases and Pokemon literally being a money printer.

I'm sure it was a slight not to Red and Blue coming out for the 3DS and the official website. It was a cool ad and I have nothing against whatsoever.

I enjoyed the ad. I was actually looking foward to seeing it during the Superbowl, despite already watching it online.

Personally, I thought it was pretty genius. It was subtle, it showcased the magic of Pokemon and with their mix of CG animated 'mon and the real world, it kinda gave us current fans a taste of what Go will (hopefully) be.

Back