• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Pokémon Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet General Discussion

Snek

Time To Party 🎉
Bells
Switch
0744-8044-4420
Golden Watering Can
Chinese Dragon Head
Chinese Dragon Body
Chinese Dragon Body
Chinese Dragon Tail
Mermaid Scale Halloweaster Egg
Oarfish Head
Oarfish Body
Oarfish Body
Oarfish Tail
A new Pokemon generation has been announced!

Here are your new starters!

The Grass-Type Sprigatito
grass.png
The Fire-Type Fuecoco
fire.png

The Water-Type Quaxly
water.png

What are your expectations of this new gen? Which starter are you going to choose?

I really hope that they carry over some mechanics from Legends Arceus. It looks like they're going to continue experimenting with the open-world.
As for starters, I'm going to have to go with Sprigatito for now. I find this cute kitten adorable and I hope its final evo doesn't go the Incineroar route this time.

The Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet games, the newest chapters in the Pokémon series, are coming to Nintendo Switch later this year. With these new titles, the Pokémon series takes a new evolutionary step, allowing you to explore freely in a richly expressed open world. Various towns blend seamlessly into the wilderness with no borders. You’ll be able to see the Pokémon of this region in the skies, in the seas, in the forests, on the streets—all over! You’ll be able to experience the true joy of the Pokémon series—battling against wild Pokémon in order to catch them—now in an open-world game that players of any age can enjoy.
Details from the Pokemon Company on Tweets and Videos promoting the games keep mentioning "Open World"

So that is exciting. I got that feeling watching the trailer.
As for starters, I always go with First Impression and Final Impression because although Starters can look good, the final evolutions can really shift the choice for me. So currently, the my first impression of which I am getting is Sprigatito with Fuecoco as a close second.

I am just keeping an eye on everything right now and hopefully with more details later on the year, I'll decided wether or not I'll get the game. An open world Spain inspired region is a big plus right now.

i love the look of it so far! what we saw already looks beautiful. i knew as soon as i heard about a "leaf cat" being trademarked that it would be my starter, and the final design didn't disappoint! sprigatito is easily my starter choice so long as the final evolution isn't ugly as sin like they tend to be.

originally i was going to get scarlet based on first impressions, but the base outfit for violet has me leaning towards that game instead. i suppose we'll see which way i sway after the legendaries and version exclusives are revealed.

not too keen on the models for the players. they look weird, but i can't explain why, and the girl's hairstyle is awful lol. hopefully there are some better ones i can change it to asap.

It looks great. I’d get it if Totodile is obtainable and not “illegal” like in Legends Arceus. I like the fire 🔥 and the grass 🍃 starters.

Edit: Me who chose Quaxly. 💧💙

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised that they actually are going to Gen 9 after the release of Pokemon Legends Arceus. It does look good, but I really wanna know what our goal is in this game. I hope we don't go back to the old formula of catching pokemon, battling gym leaders, defeat evil team, and become champion because thats been done to death so many times.

As for the starters they look really great. I do like the grass one since its pretty cute.

"...With these new titles, the Pokémon series takes a new evolutionary step, allowing you to explore freely in a richly expressed open world."

Source: the Pokémon Scarlet/Violet official site

We're getting a full open world! Not a partial one like with SwSh and Legends!

I'm a bit surprised that they actually are going to Gen 9 after the release of Pokemon Legends Arceus. It does look good, but I really wanna know what our goal is in this game. I hope we don't go back to the old formula of catching pokemon, battling gym leaders, defeat evil team, and become champion because thats been done to death so many times.

As for the starters they look really great. I do like the grass one since its pretty cute.
You’re right. My favorite games will always be Pokémon Colosseum (especially since Croconaw is available for capture) and Pokémon XD Gale of Darkness. These games have adopted the open world style long before Legends Arceus did. There’s just something different about those two games I mentioned but they aged very well, in my opinion.

All I'm saying is that the announcement really made the dopamine go brrr

I'm trying to stay as neutral as possible for now until I see more of the game, but right now I can't help but love it, a region based off of Spain was my dream.

Not just Spain but Portugal as well so basically the whole Iberian Peninsula. I was honestly surprised that they chose Iberia over Italy or Greece, considering those countries have more mythological creatures they could base new mons and legendaries off of.

I hopped on here as soon as I heard about the new pokemon generation!! I was on a break but I had to come here and talk. Serebii forums are just too big for me lol.
I am really happy to see pokemon go as a real open world. I am concerned about it's performance on the switch though. I know the game still has time for development. Almost a year after all. But I saw some lag in the trailer. I don't know how well Arceus runs on the switch but I would imagine it would be similar right?
The starters look interesting. I really like the fire guy. I think he has the potential to look really neat. I do find it odd that the art style isn't the same for all 3 starters. I mean, the grass starter stands out in an odd way impo. I am also disappointed that the water starter is a duck. It just doesn't vibe with me. And upon looking at it, all I can think of is Ducklett. Like to me, it looks more like a regional form than a unique starter. However, I do realize some people out there find him to be the perfect water starter.
I am curious to see what the differences will be between Violet and Scarlet. The titles give me sun and moon vibes. Violet's letters actually have stars in them if you look close.

I like what we got so far. Starters look nice, open world is very nice. The Iberian peninsula as a region will be interesting to see after the previous settings too.

Only thing I'm a bit put off by is the new human design direction. Looking at the pre-release screencaps they seem to have strayed further from the cartoony anime aesthetic and in to realism. I still do see them as anime-esque but... a bit uncanny valley for me personally. Seeing actual hair textures on the humans is also very weird to me in the context of a pokemon game, given the usual pokemon npc hair styles.

(Link to the screencaps I mean here.)

Really pleased that this announcement dropped today. Definitely choosing Violet (been wanting a "purple" version for so long) and grass kitty (of course). Cats are always auto win to me. Going to call her Pansy (a type of violet). 😻🏵️

Graphically this already looks waaaay better than Legends Arceus so I'm hoping it'll be a solid game. The grass starter is the best of course. But I'm still waiting for more teasers before I buy.

I am so behind on the mainline Pokémon games, but Sprigatito absolutely stole my heart this morning. ;v; I'm praying that I'll love the evolutions too. I was firmly in the Grookey Gang when SWSH was announced, but I... didn't so much care for Rillaboom's design. I'm also somewhat hopeful for Fuecoco's evolutions—I'm not too big on it right now, but I'm getting the sense that it might evolve into something really cool. Maybe. We'll see how well this prediction ages. 😆

Also, I can't believe it's already time for another generation. Was SWSH really that long ago?? What is time??

I am so behind on the mainline Pokémon games, but Sprigatito absolutely stole my heart this morning. ;v; I'm praying that I'll love the evolutions too. I was firmly in the Grookey Gang when SWSH was announced, but I... didn't so much care for Rillaboom's design. I'm also somewhat hopeful for Fuecoco's evolutions—I'm not too big on it right now, but I'm getting the sense that it might evolve into something really cool. Maybe. We'll see how well this prediction ages. 😆

Also, I can't believe it's already time for another generation. Was SWSH really that long ago?? What is time??

Crazy to think its been 3 years since SWSH came out.

I'm not really sure how to feel about this. It just seems too soon for a new Gen imo. It feels like only yesterday that SwSh came out, and we had PLA and BDSP in the span of only a few months. It just looks to me like they're really pumping out Pokémon games like no one's business. We'll see what time will tell, I suppose. It looks bright and colorful, at the very least. But wow, 3 years since the release of SwSh? Where did time go.

On first impressions, I'm fond of Sprigatito on its name alone and of course, being a lover of the grass type. Fuecoco looks like a derpy Bubble Bobble dragon 😅 but it may have potential of becoming something cool, like a medieval fire dragon. Quaxly, I have to agree, looks pretty generic. Almost like a Ducklett just with the qualities of a prince rather than a swan princess such as Swanna. Lately the water starters (namely Popplio and Sobble) have disappointed me in terms of design. I kinda miss starters not looking so cartoony, if that makes sense.

Back